Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:37 AM

13,479 posts, read 9,020,662 times

Advertisements

Oriental isn't regarded as un-PC if referring to a rug etc.. But it isn't generally accepted nowadays to refer to a person...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legin View Post
I don't know where the previous posters are living but it's clearly not the UK. "Oriental" is in fact the preferred term for East Asians here. It's what they call themselves, it's what's on all of the government forms, it's all over. Whether or not it's offensive is irrelevant to this discussion. It's just a fact that this is the term that's used.
Why should it be offensive? "Oriental" literally means Eastern. Is "Occidental" offensive?

Old 10-23-2013, 05:34 PM

994 posts, read 1,236,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Why should it be offensive? "Oriental" literally means Eastern. Is "Occidental" offensive?
Why should the N word be offensive? It is just a corruption of a word meaning black. The answer is that the meaning of words comes from how they have been used over the decades, not just where they originally come from. Of course, it's possible to argue that 'oriental' is an acceptable way to refer to people, but for me that argument would have to be concerned with how those people felt about being referred to in that way, not what the word may have originally meant.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:55 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
Why should the N word be offensive? It is just a corruption of a word meaning black. The answer is that the meaning of words comes from how they have been used over the decades, not just where they originally come from. Of course, it's possible to argue that 'oriental' is an acceptable way to refer to people, but for me that argument would have to be concerned with how those people felt about being referred to in that way, not what the word may have originally meant.
Good point, although I don't think oriental was always used negatively (more just matter of factly), although by extension it was used negatively also when people had a negative view. I'm sure oriental was used positively at times. Same with negro. I actually don't see why negro is offensive these days (a pretty recent thing) since it was used just as oriental. '******' and '*****', however, were generally used negatively (although 100 years ago '*****' was actually used rather matter of factly too).

Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
I definitely grant you the logic of the O word pairing but where's the logic in a lot of this PC stuff. In the states "Occidental" seems archaic and I've only seen/heard it as the name of a S. Cal. college or as the name of a petroleum company. So, if by extension "Oriental" is also archaic, so be it.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Why is Nordic okay to use but not Oriental?
On the *period* TV series Boardwalk Empire, a black character refers to blacks as "Libyans" and whites as "Nordics." A small circle of friends (multi-racial) who are fans of the show have been using Nordic and Libyan amongst ourselves. The Hispanola and Oriental friends are feeling left out. :-)

Old 10-24-2013, 04:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
My Japanese wife prefers the term "Oriental" to "Asian." Her argument is that "Asian" is more of a specifically geographical term, while "Oriental" has richer, more complex cultural connotations -- especially when contrasted with "Occidental", as has been pointed out by other posters here.

Her view is that Westerners who feel that the term "Oriental" is somehow offensive are transferring their own sensitivities to people who do not share their views. "That's their problem," she says. "I don't have one."

Old 10-24-2013, 08:51 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
The term "Continental" was used a lot when i was young is that still acceptable?

Old 10-24-2013, 09:36 PM

How about the notion that people of Asian heritage that speak English as a first language be more inclined to say Asian is PC and Oriental is not. People who are from the Orient aka non-native English speakers will not have an issue with being called Oriental and also think PC means Personal Computer. Let's face it, Asian is the safe word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom