Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 11:28 AM

32 posts, read 72,373 times

Advertisements

I have checked websites and received info about types of visas (i.e. entrepreneur, general worker, student, etc.). I have read info about only being able to be hired if employer can prove the position cannot be filled by a UK citizen.

Please advise of any info you may add on how plausible it is for employers to prove this and if a visa is hard to get or if its better to just state you will start a business, I have read they will basically give away the entrepreneur visas.

Is it often that work visas are continually renewed or is it more likely you apply for citizenship after the 5 year waiting period.

I am a software engineer looking to move a family of 4 to the Berkshire area. Newbury, Basingstoke, and Reading seem to have many software engineer openings.

If you have any experience, please advise on the primary education in England as I have an 8 year old and a 4 month old.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 12:15 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,765 times
Probably easier to get a job at an international business like Microsoft and transfer over, they do a lot of international exchanges.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:13 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,556 times
If you are qualified to do something on the UK occupation shortage list - see on this page UK Border Agency | How to employ migrants to do jobs on the shortage occupation list the employer does not have to prove they could not find a UK citizen. If you are not so qualified the question of how an employer proves he could not find anyone else is rather academic - no-one is going to fool around trying to get a work visa for a foreign citizen if they can find a UK/EU citizen to fill their vacancy.

It is untrue that entrepreneur visas are given away! You must have £200,000 cash available to cover your business start-up costs and a plausible business plan that shows how your enterprise will provide employment for a minimum of 2 UK citizens.

I would stick to the UKBA site for visa information - many other web sites are out of date.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:22 PM

32 posts, read 72,373 times
Thank you both that info is helpful. The link is also helpful.

If anyone has info on school age children moving over, please advise. (i.e. hoops to get them in primary school, fees, immunization shots 'like in the US', etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom