Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:37 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times

Advertisements

I've been using the word "queue" for ~20 years and not because I wanted to sound British. I picked it up in the corporate world . . . waiting for my jobs to print.

When a bunch of humans are assembled in something resembling a line then I say "they're in line" If I'm waiting for something in a virtual space then I say "queue". Even when it comes to people I will often use "queue" as a verb just never as a noun.

Having grown up in the NYC suburbs I would use "on line" and "in line" interchangeably but on line disappeared from my speech with the advent of the interwebs.

I live in Australia and have no desire to start saying pram (half the people here say stroller anyway), lift, bloke, rubbish, etc. OTOH, I now use "arvo" while texting and will sometimes use the shortened forms of local words that either don't exist or used very infrequently in the US. Otherwise I just sound dumb (at least to me anyway).

I have found that my resistance to using a lot of Aussie slang has also forced me to stop using the american shortened forms lest no one understand what I mean . . . if I was going to stay here permanently it would be really exhausting in the long run to completely resist the local slang and even some pronunciations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 09:07 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post

I live in Australia..I now use "arvo" while texting..

Had to look that one up. Would've never guessed it meant afternoon.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Had to look that one up. Would've never guessed it meant afternoon.
Yeah, me neither.

Chuckles all around the first time someone said "oh, you can just put that on the bench."

Old 02-12-2014, 10:13 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Yeah, me neither.

Chuckles all around the first time someone said "oh, you can just put that on the bench."
Translation?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:00 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:
Yeah, me neither.

Counter top?

Old 02-18-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Counter top?
Yeah, the woman was asking me to put a book on the counter but gestured vaguely towards the kitchen so I just put it on a chair.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Yeah, the woman was asking me to put a book on the counter but gestured vaguely towards the kitchen so I just put it on a chair.
So a "counter top" is called a "bench?" And a "bench" is not a chair??????

Old 02-21-2014, 03:12 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So a "counter top" is called a "bench?" And a "bench" is not a chair??????
We definitely have "park benches" and "work benches" which are of course different, along counters and counter tops. But a chair is not a "bench" to the vast majority here.

I found this thread interesting: Aussies are far less likely to see words as "British" or "American" than folk in the UK and US it seems, seeing the alternative words often as synonyms perhaps with different connotations.

"Bloke" is a a pretty old fashioned term, and by using it you're risking being viewed as a bit uneducated and old fashioned. Similarly "pram" as apposed to the more common "stroller".

"Lift" is more common than "elevator", but both are used. But then the "pants" we wear are the North American kind, not the British interpretation, while using the British term for rooster would certainly result in a situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom