Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 11:36 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times

Advertisements

You know I'm not a fly on the wall at the ye olde FA but i'm curious can someone note how they 'feel' about this US 'incursion' onto English turf?? Say are they all in for all that NFL stuff? Just wondering how the 'locall' teams feel about American style football coming in. 50 years from now will the guys in the lower tiers still have a fan base if US football really really say takes off?? The fans kind of only have a limited amount of money I'd say to plunk down to sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know I'm not a fly on the wall at the ye olde FA but i'm curious can someone note how they 'feel' about this US 'incursion' onto English turf?? Say are they all in for all that NFL stuff? Just wondering how the 'locall' teams feel about American style football coming in. 50 years from now will the guys in the lower tiers still have a fan base if US football really really say takes off?? The fans kind of only have a limited amount of money I'd say to plunk down to sports.

Hey, the US survived at least two British invasions of music. I think y'all will be just fine.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:29 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I think you may be overestimating the impact of American football in the UK, I don't mind if they want to try and force it on us if that what they want to do but I just feel incredibly sorry for the fans in the US, I am afraid I think thst there is zero chance of the game becoming anything other than a 'niche' sport at best - what will this do to the American league? The only problem that I have with it is that it is going to ruin the Wembley pitch - might I suggest they play the game at White Hart Lane instead? :-)

Old 10-28-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I think you may be overestimating the impact of American football in the UK, I don't mind if they want to try and force it on us if that what they want to do but I just feel incredibly sorry for the fans in the US, I am afraid I think thst there is zero chance of the game becoming anything other than a 'niche' sport at best - what will this do to the American league? The only problem that I have with it is that it is going to ruin the Wembley pitch - might I suggest they play the game at White Hart Lane instead? :-)
I can't see how the NFL playing in the UK occasionally is going to negatively impact the vast, vast majority of fans in the US(who never darken the doors of a stadium anyway) - so don't you worry about us!

Old 10-28-2013, 02:10 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I can't see how the NFL playing in the UK occasionally is going to negatively impact the vast, vast majority of fans in the US(who never darken the doors of a stadium anyway) - so don't you worry about us!
Its the fans of the teams involved I feel sorry for (particularly the 'home' fans) - they must be livid having a game moved to the other side of the world! Of course I am looking at this from 'my point of view' and can only imagine how p*ssed off I would be if they moved say 'Chelsea v Crystal Palace' and played the game to Tokyo!!

Old 10-28-2013, 02:20 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Quote:
Its the fans of the teams involved I feel sorry for (particularly the 'home' fans) - they must be livid having a game moved to the other side of the world! Of course I am looking at this from 'my point of view' and can only imagine how p*ssed off I would be if they moved say 'Chelsea v Crystal Palace' and played the game to Tokyo!!
Why would that be an issue? There are plenty of British expats here in the US who would probably love to go and watch a British NFL team in action whether in New York, Boston or Miami.

Equally I'm sure a fair number of American expats in Britain would go to the UK games to act as the opposition fans.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
90,000 bums on seats at Wembley is hardly a "niche" crowd. Just because you don't like the sport, there are clearly British people who do and who will pay good money to see it live rather than just on Sky.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I don't really think most fans would be that upset. Like I said, the vast majority of fans watch the events on TV, not in a stadium, and many of the games are "away" games anyway - often all the way across the country.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 PM

The growing popularity of NFL in the UK - HITC Sport

The growing popularity of NFL in the UK

American football or as I like to call it the American version of rugby. The differences between the two are little but what rugby is lacking in glamour and worldwide popularity, American football has bucket loads.

With Sunday’s game between the St Louis Rams and the New England Patriots just past, it's clear the NFL in particular is expanding its horizons and in this case I will look at its expansion into the UK.

The touchdowns, first downs, cheerleaders, colourful helmets and chunky players. It is difficult to sum up American football in one sentence but I tried my best. American football is arguably the biggest sport in the US.

NFL and college football is so big in the States it reaches over to more than 500 million homes. The quality and commitment from the ins and outs of the NFL have made it the phenomenon it is today.

With the Superbowl being televised worldwide, most people know about it, even those with no interest in the sport. It has now descended into the U.K and its effect has been phenomenal.

The game has grown in the UK over the years, 70 amateur teams play in the BAFA Community Leagues (BAFACL) across a number of age ranges. The senior (adult) league has three levels: the Premiership, comprising six teams; Division 1, comprising 18 teams split across three regional conferences; and Division 2, comprising 23 teams split across four regional conferences.

While the lower level teams have their own championship games during BritBowl Weekend, only Premier Division teams face each other in the BritBowl which is held, this year in Worcester's Sixways Stadium.

The popularity of the NFL is being grown at the grassroots level and expect it to just get bigger and bigger.

Rugby and American football are both very similar and very different. The two sports are similar in the shape of the ball, different in the bodywear, similar in scoring and different in the flow of the game. So what is it that makes NFL stand out from rugby?

The NFL is a spectator sport. It is more exciting, more riveting and overall there is simply more to it than rugby. Rugby fans will find the transition from rugby to American football fairly simple and once they get a taste of NFL football they will keep coming back for more and more, I guarantee it.

The appreciation for the NFL and American football has grown tremendously over the years. The sport is being developed at the grassroots level. Fans love the sport, advertising has increased, demand for televised matches is through the roof and it’s a sport which is, in my eyes the fastest growing sport in terms of popularity, in the entire world.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't really think most fans would be that upset. Like I said, the vast majority of fans watch the events on TV, not in a stadium, and many of the games are "away" games anyway - often all the way across the country.
Exactly.

He's thinking of it in soccer terms, where lots more fans would be able to go to away games due to Britain being much geographically smaller. I don't know of many Steelers fans who would go all the way to Miami to see their team play there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom