Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 04:16 PM

586 posts, read 827,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
and those 3 quarters are also idiots or naive to say the least considering a lot of Radical Muslim crimes happening in the UK and all over Europe
I would have to say that the vast majority of religious people that have caused me concern either physically or intellectually have not been Muslims.

Most religions have zealots and radicals whether obvious or not. Religious fanaticism comes carrying many a different book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 02:31 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,409,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
I would have to say that the vast majority of religious people that have caused me concern either physically or intellectually have not been Muslims.

Most religions have zealots and radicals whether obvious or not. Religious fanaticism comes carrying many a different book.

And a survey of 1000 people is representative of what?

Personally I am more worried about the religious, pro-gun xenophobes living here in the South east USA than Muslims! The Protestants and Catholics in Ireland created a fair stink for years over there.
There are good and bad people everywhere regardless of race, religion or skin color.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:53 PM

994 posts, read 1,232,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post

Personally I am more worried about the religious, pro-gun xenophobes living here in the South east USA than Muslims! The Protestants and Catholics in Ireland created a fair stink for years over there.
There are good and bad people everywhere regardless of race, religion or skin color.
Well the poll was carried out be afaik a reputable pollster (Comres), and the sample is not especially small as they go. But of course all polls need to be seen as small pieces that go to making up our understanding of what people think. And sadly, at any given moment, at least a quarter of the population has a fairly warped perspective on all manner of things.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:16 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,409,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
More than a quarter of 18 to 24-year-olds in Britain do not trust Muslims, a BBC Radio 1 Newsbeat poll suggests.

Of the 1,000 young people questioned, 28% said Britain would be better off with fewer Muslims, while 44% said Muslims did not share the same values as the rest of the population.

BBC - Newsbeat - Quarter of young British people 'do not trust Muslims'
More than a quarter of 18 to 24-year-olds in Britain do not trust Muslims
is not correct.
What it should say is
270 out of 1000 18-24-year-olds in Britain do not trust Muslims.

18-24 year olds make up less than 10% of the population of Britain which is maybe 40 million?
At 10% that would be 400,000 18-24 year olds, so a sample of 1000 out of 400,000 is meaningless.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:49 PM

7,868 posts, read 10,234,893 times
Quote:

except the protestants and catholics in northern Ireland were not really divided over religion , they were divided over nationality , religion was only an indentifiable shirt , like two football teams

Old 11-13-2013, 04:47 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,470,574 times
Quote:
More than a quarter of 18 to 24-year-olds in Britain do not trust Muslims
is not correct.
What it should say is
270 out of 1000 18-24-year-olds in Britain do not trust Muslims.

18-24 year olds make up less than 10% of the population of Britain which is maybe 40 million?
At 10% that would be 400,000 18-24 year olds, so a sample of 1000 out of 400,000 is meaningless.
I agree with the point you're making, but young people are definitely more tolerant than the older generations when it comes to minorities, religion, immigration or pretty much anything.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:53 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,014,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I don't know, i've never met a Muslim before. I try not to judge so I would give them the benefit of a doubt but i'd be hesitant about telling them where I live and stuff like that.
Judging by your posts I'd be scared to tell you where I live. What ignorance.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:57 AM

Quote:

I've had people here ask me if I'm afraid of all the Muslims back in the UK.

There are radicals and extremists in every culture and religion.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:24 AM

586 posts, read 827,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
I've had people here ask me if I'm afraid of all the Muslims back in the UK.
Thinking on this I realise that i've never been asked the same question about Muslims back in France.

Muslims in the UK make up approximately 4.6% of the population compared to 7.5% in France Pew Research Center. Maybe part of the lack of interest is due to the fact that it's France and maybe partly because it is a non-English speaking country. Not that I would dream of accusing the English speaking world of Egocentrism.

Regardless, it had me thinking.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
Thinking on this I realise that i've never been asked the same question about Muslims back in France.

Muslims in the UK make up approximately 4.6% of the population compared to 7.5% in France Pew Research Center. Maybe part of the lack of interest is due to the fact that it's France and maybe partly because it is a non-English speaking country. Not that I would dream of accusing the English speaking world of Egocentrism.

Regardless, it had me thinking.
Many of those are of Algerian & Moroccan descent right?

I still don't see the problem with it or why there is such fear because of a handful of a few extremists. I would not want the majority of law abiding and respectful Muslims to feel forced out of either Britain or France. I believe they enrich the diversity of both nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom