Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Ham and bacon (back bacon in the UK) come from different parts of the pig.
See my above picture, which I added I guess as you were responding. See that bacon in the top left corner? We call that ham or Canadian bacon here. We have it here. We eat it here. It is not commonly served for BREAKFAST however, or when it is (for instance, with Eggs Benedict), it is not called bacon per se. It's called ham or Canadian bacon. It's also a very common cut that we use on pizza and sandwiches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon

Cuts of bacon

Back bacon (rashers or, in the United States, Canadian bacon) comes from the loin in the middle of the back of the pig. It is a very lean, meaty cut of bacon, with less fat compared to other cuts. It has a ham-like texture. Most bacon consumed in the United Kingdom is back bacon.[9]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 07:27 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
All this talk of bacon is making me hungry!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:34 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I could eat (British) bacon on a fresh bakery roll with butter every single day!!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I know it! I'm thinking about frying up a big pan of it right this instant! I like it all, whatever you choose to call it - bacon cut from any portion of the pig. Pork is good. I'm so glad I'm not some sort of religion that forbids the consumption of pork!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:00 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I had some yesterday at lunch. mmmmmmmmmm It was just our American streaky bacon in a sandwich but it was good.

My dh hates our bacon (yet he eats it rather than have nothing at all) and he's not here right now or I'd ask his opinion on Canadian bacon but I don't think he likes that either. He did find some passable bacon one time though.

He's loving our baked beans (they are very sweet, Boston baked beans made with molasses, sort of like treacle) and has them for breakfast over toast. Gag. The other day he announced that he likes squash! At first he called it some name, gourd? and wouldn't eat it.

Another pudding--Summer Pudding. Slices of bread placed around the edges of a bowl soaked with sweetened berries and allowed to soak in while being chilled. And bread pudding, you can even get it in some restaurants around here.

Lately he is fixated on making shortbread pie crusts. His experiments are getting fattening. Trouble is, I can't have milk so he has to substitute rice milk and it's not quite the same. Still, he keeps trying.

A few weeks ago, he found kippers.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:14 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
in_newengland here's a link for you, they are kind of expensive so I usually only order from them at Christmas or other celebrations

William's Pork

Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I had some yesterday at lunch. mmmmmmmmmm It was just our American streaky bacon in a sandwich but it was good.

My dh hates our bacon (yet he eats it rather than have nothing at all) and he's not here right now or I'd ask his opinion on Canadian bacon but I don't think he likes that either. He did find some passable bacon one time though.

He's loving our baked beans (they are very sweet, Boston baked beans made with molasses, sort of like treacle) and has them for breakfast over toast. Gag. The other day he announced that he likes squash! At first he called it some name, gourd? and wouldn't eat it.

Another pudding--Summer Pudding. Slices of bread placed around the edges of a bowl soaked with sweetened berries and allowed to soak in while being chilled. And bread pudding, you can even get it in some restaurants around here.

Lately he is fixated on making shortbread pie crusts. His experiments are getting fattening. Trouble is, I can't have milk so he has to substitute rice milk and it's not quite the same. Still, he keeps trying.

A few weeks ago, he found kippers.
LOL this post had me cracking up!

It's interesting how regional foods differ. For instance, bacon/rashers/Canadian bacon/whatever you want to call it. I personally really LOVE American thick sliced bacon, especially the applewood smoked sort. I also really like rashers/Canadian bacon as well, for breakfast or any other time (like I said earlier, we have it here but it's often included in meals other than breakfast).

I really like baked beans, Boston style - FOR DINNER (not for breakfast, like was served in the UK - I can't wrap my head around beans for breakfast!). I live in Cajun country (east Texas is heavily influenced by Louisiana cuisine), so our beans are generally spicy, not at all sweet, as in red beans and rice. I love those too, but Boston baked beans are delicious, especially served with a side of sausage or ham. Yum! I need to learn how to bake those beans.

Squash - we eat lots of that down here, especially the summer squashes. I love baked acorn squash filled with a sweet, savory filling of bread crumbs, spices, raisins, brown sugar, etc. Also spaghetti squash is amazing and so good as a pasta substitute.

Now - bread pudding is a local celebration! I've tasted so many different varieties, from chocolate to rum soaked. YUM. I did see some bread pudding sorts of things in the UK and though they were different from the types here, the one I did try was very good. Crusty around the edges - I really like that. The one I tried in the UK also had raisins in it, which we put in some here as well, but it didn't taste like the bread puddings here. It was delicious however. Just different - which is great.

My family has a very old chocolate bread pudding recipe made with plain old "white bread" and cocoa and sugar and eggs - that's it. YUM! Really old school. I wonder if other regions or countries have that? Probably so.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
in_newengland here's a link for you, they are kind of expensive so I usually only order from them at Christmas or other celebrations

William's Pork
Yum, that looks like a great site!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:58 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
Making traditional British steamed puddings seems to be a dying art. I have seen Spotted Dick and Treacle pudding in cans but they really don't taste the same.
A true steamed pudding is delicious as are their savoury counterparts like steak and kidney pudding and steak and ale pudding, I can remember my mother making them then putting a puff pastry lid and finishing them in the oven .. Yummm !!!

Availability of beef suet is limited here in the US although I have found veggie suet so may give that a go.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:04 AM

I don't even know what beef suet is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom