U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 10:06 AM

128 posts, read 120,455 times

Advertisements

A family from the UK has just moved into our neighborhood about a month ago. The wife I have met and she is lovely but I am afraid she must be a little blue, missing her friends and family from home.
I want to cheer her up and am trying to gather some of my friends and neighbors and throw a little afternoon get together.
I thought it would be nice to have some traditional English tea sandwiches along with tea etc. I know I can google but was hoping the good folks over in the UK might point me toward websites or recipes that are truly traditionally English. Sometimes we Yanks can put a twist on things to suit our tastes and I want it to be as authentic as possible.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 10:12 AM

13,111 posts, read 12,278,442 times
What a nice idea.

A quick search revealed this;

The Afternoon Tea Menu

If you're feeling more adventurous you could try out something from this;

Mary Berry

Really I wouldn't angst too much- we Brits appreciate the thought as much as anything.

See if you can get some decent tea- probably bags as I guess you wouldn't have a teapot.

If anything else comes to mind I'll post again.

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:20 AM

128 posts, read 120,455 times
Thank you! I actually have my grandmother's Coffee and Tea Service. Fortnum and Mason Tea is available here as well.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:59 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,138,252 times
Find a recipe for scones online. They'd love that. Serve with real butter and some nice jam and clotted cream. (just don't buy them the things that are called scones in the US - they aren't).

Old 11-11-2013, 12:59 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,107,715 times
cucumber sandwiches, thinly sliced cucumber on white with just a shake of pepper and of course the crusts cut off, you could also make egg and cress sandwiches, boiled eggs mashed with a dash of mayonnaise and seasoned with salt and pepper cut a little fresh cress and serve again with the crusts cut off.

Scones served with lashings of butter, jam (preserves) and whipped cream

petit fours, small cakes ... think cupcakes

Have fun

Old 11-11-2013, 01:18 PM

7,482 posts, read 11,225,152 times
Check out Downton Abbey Cook's Recipe Index: Downton Recipes Index Downton Abbey Cooks

Scroll down to "Afternoon Tea" and especially note the sandwiches:

Coronation Chicken
Cucumber
Cucumber and Smoked Salmon
Egg
Salmon
Tuna
Watercress

But they've got lots of other ideas too. Can't go wrong with scones and a Victoria Sponge is very English.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:03 PM

35,161 posts, read 25,957,884 times
Scones are very easy to make from scratch too, and there are also some really good scone mixes out there. To me, a hot scone fresh out of the oven with butter or better yet CLOTTED CREAM and jam is hard to beat! I really loved afternoon tea in England when it involved hot, fresh scones!

Old 11-11-2013, 04:38 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,300,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Scones are very easy to make from scratch too, and there are also some really good scone mixes out there. To me, a hot scone fresh out of the oven with butter or better yet CLOTTED CREAM and jam is hard to beat! I really loved afternoon tea in England when it involved hot, fresh scones!
You don't even need a mix.

Flour, butter, a little salt and sugar, baking powder and some milk to bind the whole together and Bobs your uncle.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:25 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,103,224 times
And crumpets, so easy to make.
Always With Butter: English Crumpets

Old 11-12-2013, 10:11 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,923,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
What a nice idea.

A quick search revealed this;

The Afternoon Tea Menu

If you're feeling more adventurous you could try out something from this;

Mary Berry

Really I wouldn't angst too much- we Brits appreciate the thought as much as anything.

See if you can get some decent tea- probably bags as I guess you wouldn't have a teapot.

If anything else comes to mind I'll post again.

Good luck!
I have several teapots, including a Brown Betty

Scones, clotted cream, jam -- ooh, I need to go on a diet just thinking about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom