Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:36 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times

Advertisements

You know I was going to do that myself but to be honest is all that on the dna 'level'? If it's purported to be 'scientific' I'd guess there'd be a certain amount of so-called 'error' in there too. Also, it would be nice too on sci-fi level if while they're screening the dna to one day maybe give an idea of what the environment was like .....for some reason I like old old pictures of the historic times that went before...wondering where I got that from....;-)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 07:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I suspect a large fraction of people with colonial New England roots have ancestor involved in the Salem witch trials. When I was in Salem, I overheard someone saying he was descended from both an accuser and accused. A number of famous people can trace their roots including George Bush (his roots are from New England not the south) and Prince William.

Bloodlines of Salem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
George Bush's ancestor, John Gladding, came from the little town of Newbury, a few miles from where I live, an early Puritan settlement. John Gladding is said to have stood by and said nothing when a woman was accused of being a witch. Her husband called out to John Gladding at the trial, accusing him of saying nothing when he had actually seen her and knew she was not practicing witchcraft.

John Gladding and his family later relocated to Bristol RI, which he founded. There is a Gladding House there and when you go to the historical society it's all Gladdings. Most of his children became successful and wealthy; successors went on to own clipper ships which traveled the world bringing back treasure.

In my family history, I have a brick wall--a place where I am stuck. I have Gladdings all the way back until I hit (probably) a grandson of John Gladding. Maybe that's why I keep procrastinating on knocking down that brick wall.

There is also another --more evil, I think -- ancestor who accused a woman of being a witch. She was found not guilty but after he died, the poor woman got accused by someone else and was killed. He was born in 1598 in Bath, England, another strict Puritan of Newbury.

Prince William?

Last edited by in_newengland; 11-24-2013 at 07:23 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 08:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Prince William?
descended on his mother's side from this woman:

Frances Ellen Work - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

who must have had colonial New England ancestry traced to Salem

Old 11-24-2013, 08:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
I suspect a large fraction of people with colonial New England roots have ancestor involved in the Salem witch trials. When I was in Salem, I overheard someone saying he was descended from both an accuser and accused. A number of famous people can trace their roots including George Bush (his roots are from New England not the south) and Prince William.

Bloodlines of Salem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am related to both an accused and an accuser myself, and I'm not particularly special - LOL. My family has been in what is now the US since the 1640s though so we're related to all sorts of sort of famous people.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am related to both an accused and an accuser myself, and I'm not particularly special - LOL. My family has been in what is now the US since the 1640s though so we're related to all sorts of sort of famous people.
A bit surprised since you're from the south. A few ancestors move south at some point?

Old 11-24-2013, 09:53 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
A bit surprised since you're from the south. A few ancestors move south at some point?
Descendants from early New England are spread all across the country. I was surprised too when I started doing genealogy. First they spread out within New England (well, actually they created New England as they spread) and then they moved west. West was just New York or Ohio at first but later on they were the ones helping to settle the West and some branches went to the South too. Mostly it was West.

I volunteer for Find A Grave and requests for photos of the grave sites of ancestors come in from Oklahoma, Arizona, California--you name it and I've gotten a request. Their ancestor died here in maybe 1701.

That's interesting about Princess Diana's ancestry. Makes me want to trace it--somebody has already done it though, thank goodness.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:11 PM

The path of New England westward settlement is shown by the results in the 1856 presidential election:

The heaviest republican voting areas were mainly from New Englanders; the Mid-Atlantic shows up differently. You can see they skipped over the Hudson Valley to continue westward to western NY and the Great Lakes. I knew they moved westward, didn't think they moved south. But after a few hundred years, people move. Waves of immigrants in the next 75 years or so would muddle the pattern, introducing a new urban-rural partisan divide.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
My family moved from northern England, Scotland and Germany to Pennsylvania and Massachusetts and Virginia in the 1600s (though one branch was French Huguenot, they had already immigrated from France to England). Some of them stayed in Pennsylvania and are still there (I have ancestors who fought on both sides of the Civil War for instance). Most moved south in the 1700s though (mostly to Virginia again) and a big chunk of them moved from PA to SC (early 1700s) and then from SC to Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas in the early 1800s.

I still have distant relatives that I am aware of in PA, VA and SC even though the bulk of our family moved to the southwestern states of AR, LA and TX long ago.

My mother's ancestors moved from New York to Illinois and Missouri in the late 1700s, to Arkansas and Louisiana in the early 1800s as well. A branch of them moved to California during the gold rush and started a hotel in San Francisco, which they owned till the 1960s.

I am sort of proud of the fact that my ancestors were always, always among the first to move into a "new" area - always on the edge of the frontier. Brave folks who apparently were made of some very strong stuff!

Old 11-25-2013, 08:33 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know I was going to do that myself but to be honest is all that on the dna 'level'? If it's purported to be 'scientific' I'd guess there'd be a certain amount of so-called 'error' in there too. Also, it would be nice too on sci-fi level if while they're screening the dna to one day maybe give an idea of what the environment was like .....for some reason I like old old pictures of the historic times that went before...wondering where I got that from....;-)....

Far less error than any other method. The genome has just discovered that there were thousands of initial "humans", which runs against the metrocial eve. I know where I'd put my money..

Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Quote:
Far less error than any other method
Oh sorry. I wasn't clear. I'm all for the dna element in scientific analyses. I'm looking at those ads say in Natl Geo where you send your dna in to a company and they check out your dna background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom