Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 11:29 PM

3 posts, read 13,011 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are Indian family moving to London shortly. My husband's office is at Canary Wharf. We have 3yrs 8 months old kid. Can you please let us know what's the best place to reside/rent an apartment? Budget is around 800 pounds.

Apartment should be

1. Near to school.
2. My husband is OK with 30min journey by tubes.
3. Near to Tube area.

Anything Do we need to get from India??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:46 AM

32 posts, read 72,191 times
Similar post

This may help.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:01 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,667,129 times
Look at East London- Newham, Ilford, Redbridge. Commute from there to Canary Wharf will not be bad.
Indians are spread across London.
Indian community of London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-06-2013, 05:58 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,016,406 times
My area is very Indian, in fact I live in Brent on the border of Harrow in one of London's most distinguishably Indian areas. The choice and range of shops, member's clubs, businesses and restaurants that cater (not exclusively but towards the Indian community) is absolutely immense.

When India won the cricket World Cup in 2011 there were scenes of wild celebration at a tube station a short walk away from where I reside now on the Jubilee Line. And during the Festival of Light Diwali the fireworks and celebrations in the area go on for weeks.

Not only will you have the option of a fast and efficient Jubilee Line that will easily get you to Canary Wharf within half-an hour you also have the choice to change at Wembley Park and take the Metropolitan Line which will speed the journey up more if you happen to be running late.

This area will offer you a higher standard of living and instead of the English themed Indian restaurants Queensbury offers authentic Indian food and neighbouring Kingsbury where I live today also offers a wide variety of shops where you can buy authentic Indian food in large volumes including a warehouse where you can buy in bulk and save money this way by stocking up on rice and other necessities should you need to budget on a monthly basis.

Alongside these businesses are three excellent English supermarkets so it isn't an entirely Indian area but in this Youtube clip literally every shop that circles the parade around this station is Indian owned, including the prestigious Regency Club which has become very popular and well known in London for serving autherntic Indian food in a pleasant and friendly atmosphere. his place has won awards for its food and customer service and is valued highly by the local community. Indian Bar & Grill | The Regency Club

But the choice for Indian food is almost beyond belief in my immediate area in fact this Youtube clip below is just a tiny snapshot of how large and influential the Indian community is in the areas of Kingsbury and Queensbury which as well as being reasonably priced in terms of rent and housing in comparison with areas near Canary Wharf are also more family orientated with a number of parks and sports facilities nearby where children are often seen playing football or cricket.

When India won the World Cup in 2011 you could be forgiven for thinking this was a tiny enclave of India in London as the celebrations (good natured as they were) held up traffic and took over the streets as exuberance and families decided to celebrate by taking over the streets and waving the Indian flag on the tube sign on the traffic island outside the station to symbolise just how Indian this area is.

The schools are of a high quality in the area too and access to other parts of London by car and by motorway as well as the county of Hertfordshire and Watford give you a range of options when it comes just about everything you require for a very convenient and pleasant way of life.

I own a small flat but developments are springing up everywhere now and I find the area not only accessible to London but also so close to so many different shopping centres (Edgware, Brent Cross, Harrow, Watford) locally that provide great choice and also more variety if you are looking for all the familiar chain stores that you will find in any shopping centre from Oxford Street to Stratford.

Here's the local community revelling in India's World Cup win:-

India Win Cricket Worldcup 2011 - Celebrations Queensbury Circle - Chakde India!! - YouTube

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 12-06-2013 at 06:07 AM..

Old 12-23-2013, 04:24 PM

53 posts, read 184,214 times
WHy are even coming to the UK?

Old 12-29-2013, 08:50 AM

3,454 posts, read 4,907,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinrhar View Post
WHy are even coming to the UK?
Because, last time I checked, the UK is on the same planet as India, and people have the freedom of movement and to choose their destiny.
I moved from India to Canada because I wanted to. Don't like it? There's a spot opened up in India - you can feel free to move there.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:10 PM

16,579 posts, read 17,346,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Because, last time I checked, the UK is on the same planet as India, and people have the freedom of movement and to choose their destiny.
I moved from India to Canada because I wanted to. Don't like it? There's a spot opened up in India - you can feel free to move there.
Nice answer.

I don't know what his gripe is.

However we have yet another thread from someone who asks the usual questions and doesn't have the good grace to get back to those who have taken the time and trouble to reply.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 9,699 times
My husband and I are moving to UK in August 2014. We need to know where can we possible stay. My husband's office is in Heathrow Airport terminal 5.
anything extra/imp that we need to bring from India?

Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 7,346 times
which place is bast. for study in London .. and ..living Gujarati person ....i want study. finance and account there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom