Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 01:44 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I find this statement pretty ironic considering all the colonization that England has perpetrated all over this globe for hundreds of years.

Don't forget about the original people of your beloved North America, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Botswana, The Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait,Palestine, Qatar, Sudan, UAE, Yemen, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Brunei, Burma, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, Fiji, New Zealand, and Tuvalu.

Yes, I know - you're not in charge of all those places anymore...but you get my drift. Don't throw the "respect the natives" card at us sanctimoniously, PLEASE!
I'm not the colonisers who wiped out native populations of those countries and the respect the natives get are in the hands of the predominately white politicians in power in the ex British colonies. This includes the united states the respect the Amerindians get is not in the hand of British people but Americans.

It's funny how after around 300 years you can turn around and say my statement is ironic its like a 60 year old man blaming his dead father about his depression and well being it doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

The Maori of New Zealand seem to get respect and their culture is not looked at as weird as is the case of North Americans and their view on native Americans. It would be the New Zealanders thought if they disrespected and didn't realise the Maori was the natives and deserves respect not the British!

The Aboriginals of Australia are not treated with the respect they deserve or at least are not fully assimilated into mainstream Australian life in the sense that their culture is not embraced like how Maori is in New Zealand. Again its not the British thought aboriginals are treated this way.

The same with America it's not our thought anymore that the natives are treated or portrayed as jokes.

You get my drift?

Old 12-09-2013, 02:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post

Quote:
I'm not the colonisers who wiped out native populations of those countries
I'm pretty sure none of us on this thread or forum are guilty of this - not even the 'Muricans!

By the way, there are still fourteen overseas British territories - British Overseas Territories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You worry about how the British are "respecting the natives" there and let us worry about how Americans are "respecting the natives" over here. Your plate's as full as ours - and your record is,frankly, no better than ours.

Quote:
The Maori of New Zealand seem to get respect and their culture is not looked at as weird as is the case of North Americans and their view on native Americans.
Many Americans have a lot of respect and appreciation for native cultures. Like I said, get off your high horse.

You get my drift?

Old 12-09-2013, 04:37 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Yes, as a part of daily diet it's just too fattening and unhealthy. My husband makes great veggie curries but I had him stop putting curry paste in it and spice it in other ways. I looked at the fat content on the jar!!

I only like Indian and Thai food without meat. I guess because I was vegetarian at the time I started eating it. Gone back to meat now but still don't want meat in my curries, etc.

The holidays I gain the most weight on are the ones to Australia. We stay with family and the BBQ's are usually 4 types of meat, always lots of ice cream and beer and other indulgences. But I do always have a good time!
Yes...I noticed when I go to Thailand or anywhere in Asia after a awhile the total change in diet (I mean I eat it here but not all the time like there), especially lack of fibre/roughage, definitely does things to your digestive system...

Haha maybe you're going to to many BBQ's? But yeah, always great to have a barbie.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Carl's Jr is better than Wendy's IMO. Either way, at least you getting something more decent than just crappy McDonald's.
Well, the Carl's Jnr I've had wasn't that impressive considering the price (it was in Malaysia though actually. Despite seeing it a ton never actually went into Carl's Jnr in the US). Next time I go to New Zealand I'll have to try the Wendy's and see how it is.

Actually McDonald's isn't all bad: the Angus burger is good, although a better bun/cheese might justify the price, but the beef patty is as good as a lot of expensive places. Uses pretty tasty angus beef. Even the patties for the normal burgers are better than a lot of the pink slime you get at the takeaways.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You nailed it and thanks for making me hungry
Nw, I think a lot of people need to really do a food tour of the States to 'get it.' Plus there should be more non-fast food American cuisine here. I notice a few Southern BBQ and Creole/Cajun/Louisiana type joints popping up around Melbourne which is a good sign. Finally seems to be getting the respect/exposure it deserves.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:54 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,368 times
Quote:
The Aboriginals of Australia are not treated with the respect they deserve or at least are not fully assimilated into mainstream Australian life in the sense that their culture is not embraced like how Maori is in New Zealand. Again its not the British thought aboriginals are treated this way.
Have you ever actually been to Australia?

There have been many Aboriginal artists and sportspeople who have been firmly embraced by the wider Australian community: Garamul, Yothu Yondi, Albert Namatjira, Cathy freeman, Evonne Goolagong as examples. The Chief Minster of the Northern Territory is indigenous, as is the deputy leader of the Labor party in NSW. There are other past and present indigenous politicians including a Governor of South Australia.

When the federal parliament, for example, opens there is a traditional Aboriginal welcoming ceremony. Federal and most state government buildings fly the Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander flags in addition to the national flag. Its is usual practice for all events held by the federal government to commence with a statement recognising the traditional custodians of the region i.e. the local Aboriginal "nation".

As for assimilation, perhaps not all Aboriginals want to live the same lifestyle as a European or Asian Australians. I'm pretty sure some don't. Aboriginal culture and societal values are very much tied to the land and relationships with the land. To become fully urbanised, in effect means to refute that cultural and social heritage.

By any objective analysis, the British colonial era was not a good time for Aboriginal Australians.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:25 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes...I noticed when I go to Thailand or anywhere in Asia after a awhile the total change in diet (I mean I eat it here but not all the time like there), especially lack of fibre/roughage, definitely does things to your digestive system...

Haha maybe you're going to to many BBQ's? But yeah, always great to have a barbie.
We stay at inlaws and BIL does the barbie. Lots of salads too though.

Will get to taste real Thai food next month when we meet up with the Aussie family on Koh Samui.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:49 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm pretty sure none of us on this thread or forum are guilty of this - not even the 'Muricans!

By the way, there are still fourteen overseas British territories - British Overseas Territories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You worry about how the British are "respecting the natives" there and let us worry about how Americans are "respecting the natives" over here. Your plate's as full as ours - and your record is,frankly, no better than ours.

Many Americans have a lot of respect and appreciation for native cultures. Like I said, get off your high horse.

You get my drift?
After my post you come out with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Have you ever actually been to Australia?

There have been many Aboriginal artists and sportspeople who have been firmly embraced by the wider Australian community: Garamul, Yothu Yondi, Albert Namatjira, Cathy freeman, Evonne Goolagong as examples. The Chief Minster of the Northern Territory is indigenous, as is the deputy leader of the Labor party in NSW. There are other past and present indigenous politicians including a Governor of South Australia.

When the federal parliament, for example, opens there is a traditional Aboriginal welcoming ceremony. Federal and most state government buildings fly the Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander flags in addition to the national flag. Its is usual practice for all events held by the federal government to commence with a statement recognising the traditional custodians of the region i.e. the local Aboriginal "nation".

As for assimilation, perhaps not all Aboriginals want to live the same lifestyle as a European or Asian Australians. I'm pretty sure some don't. Aboriginal culture and societal values are very much tied to the land and relationships with the land. To become fully urbanised, in effect means to refute that cultural and social heritage.

By any objective analysis, the British colonial era was not a good time for Aboriginal Australians.
OK well I take back what I said though I heard Aboriginals are the worst for poverty, drug use etc

Old 12-10-2013, 06:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
After my post you come out with that?
Yes. I find your little lectures about "treatment of the natives" to be ironic and I'm not at all impressed with your sense of historical perspective.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:07 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
He has a point though, it is disgusting how the aboriginals are treated in Australia. We, Britain, have a bad past but we have tried at least to right a lot of our wrongs - this is still going on in many countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom