Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 PM

18,489 posts, read 15,360,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync33 View Post
Pretty much you cant base things off the internet, is that clear enough for you or should i show you the definitions of each word i am using? Still on a 2nd grade reading level?
I've visited the US probably at least 200 times over the years, and although not all American's believe they invented or created everything, some do. This attitude has changed slightly over the years, especially with access to information being much easier.

Although I have many,many stories that formed my view on this, one that stands out since it's rather amusing is this.
I was travelling in the south of France near Spain where at the time ( pre-internet ) the radio and clubs played Euro-pop mainly with little American music if at all. I met two guys from California who I chummed up with. We were sitting in a cafe and a Beetles song came on. " Finally, some good American music! " one them said.

Last edited by Natnasci; 12-15-2013 at 03:20 PM..

Old 12-15-2013, 05:12 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,389,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Its not about America vs anybody, its about the false notion that the world is living the 'American way'.
You are the only one who is giving us this false notion....

Old 12-15-2013, 05:52 PM

76 posts, read 146,798 times
Well at least i got feedback, next time i will try and explain better

Old 12-15-2013, 05:54 PM

76 posts, read 146,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've visited the US probably at least 200 times over the years, and although not all American's believe they invented or created everything, some do. This attitude has changed slightly over the years, especially with access to information being much easier.

Although I have many,many stories that formed my view on this, one that stands out since it's rather amusing is this.
I was travelling in the south of France near Spain where at the time ( pre-internet ) the radio and clubs played Euro-pop mainly with little American music if at all. I met two guys from California who I chummed up with. We were sitting in a cafe and a Beetles song came on. " Finally, some good American music! " one them said.
No one thinks that, and TRUST ME they know the Beatles are English, sometimes they just say that because we both speak the same languages and British music is very popular here. No one in America thinks they created everything, where do you guys get these ideas from that we do? Youtube comments?

Old 12-15-2013, 06:17 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,220,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Its not about America vs anybody, its about the false notion that the world is living the 'American way'. The US has given the world many wonderful things but for some reason (some) Americans seem to think that the US gave the world everything (some) Americans will swear blind that if it wasn't for the US the modern world wouldnt exist, (some) seem to think that everything was 'invented' in the US from cars to telephones to the internet etc, (some) will even lay claim to pizza or even the English language (yes I've heard this one more than once!)!! And I couldn't tell you how many times Ive heard the 'would be speaking German if it wasn't for the US' thing! Now just about every American Ive met have been lovely people but its this attitude that may give an American some problems with some other people of the world.

Have you ever actually visited the US? How many countries have you lived and worked in? Everything you ever talk about is a reflection of your shallow opinions, with little or no objective reasoning. All the crap you have written above could be said fir the UK too. It would take an age for me to list the rediculous comments I have heard in the UK; by 'educated' ones too.

Get off your anti American soap box and try thinking for once.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:43 PM

9,572 posts, read 20,676,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Well in a way they are right, the early Beatles especially were basically just rock n roll and doo woo, Motown etc with an english beat twist, I mean if they'd been singing long tall sally or twist n shout they were covers anyway. But yes, its hard to believe even Americans would think the fab four american lol.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:16 PM

67,655 posts, read 60,260,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Maybe so, but that doesn't mean people will get away with posting untruths or incorrect beliefs regarding inventions and their country of origin. Maybe Americans are better at documenting their ideas - maybe some people should do a little research prior to posting.

'Americanisation' doesn't bother me, but it's the idea that having an iPhone or watching Friends makes you 'Americanised' that annoys me. As I have already mentioned, countries have been exporting their ideas, cultural practices and inventions for centuries - it's nothing new.

Also, I do like that song you posted, and it does make a very valid point, intended or not.
LOL I am not even arguing with you - and yes, I did mean to make that valid point when I posted that song. I've been saying from the start that I see the whole shebang as "globalization" rather than "Americanization" - especially since "America" is such a product of globalization to begin with (and continuing to this day).

Old 12-15-2013, 07:16 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,239,329 times
But I would say there is an equal amount of non-US influence in the Beatles music, especially later on.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:17 PM

67,655 posts, read 60,260,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
It could be argued that Britain has changed the world as much if not more than America in the past 100 years, especially per capita.
It could be argued, but I doubt it could be proven. Several hundred years ago - absolutely.

Every dog has his day, I guess.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:39 PM

14,809 posts, read 11,893,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync33 View Post
Pretty much you cant base things off the internet, is that clear enough for you or should i show you the definitions of each word i am using? Still on a 2nd grade reading level?
Your English was poor, perhaps you are the one on a '2nd grade' reading level!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom