Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I found UK grocery prices to be the same as here but the quality was better. If I wanted food like I could buy in the UK I would have to go to one of those expensive grocery stores like Whole Foods. We call it Whole Wallet.
I sometimes go into Whole Foods in the US when I visit and my jaw drops at some of the prices!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 09:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I live in a small town in east Texas and this store is about 30 minutes from me - AWESOME!!!!!!

http://freshbybrookshires.com/

No shortage of fabulous fresh veggies and fruits and all sorts of terrific stuff - it's a lot like Whole Foods but without the high price tags.

Last edited by Gungnir; 12-07-2013 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Copyright infringement...

Old 12-07-2013, 09:13 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I live in a small town in east Texas and this store is about 30 minutes from me - AWESOME!!!!!!

No shortage of fabulous fresh veggies and fruits and all sorts of terrific stuff - it's a lot like Whole Foods but without the high price tags.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:14 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
That's a lovely looking place Kathryn.

It reminds me somewhat of Whole Foods.

My favourite place in Houston was Central Market;

Home | Central Market

Old 12-07-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
That's a lovely looking place Kathryn.

It reminds me somewhat of Whole Foods.

My favourite place in Houston was Central Market;

Home | Central Market
I LOVE CENTRAL MARKET. I think Fresh is probably modeled after that store. Prior to Fresh opening up in Tyler (mid size town nearby), I was driving two hours to Dallas to shop at Central Market several times a year. I hate going to Dallas, so it was a real chore - but worth it at the time!

Old 12-07-2013, 11:25 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I LOVE CENTRAL MARKET. I think Fresh is probably modeled after that store. Prior to Fresh opening up in Tyler (mid size town nearby), I was driving two hours to Dallas to shop at Central Market several times a year. I hate going to Dallas, so it was a real chore - but worth it at the time!
I wish we had grocery stores like that here. Summer is fine with all the farmers markets and anyway you can grow your own food. Winter is frozen veggies and canned goods. Well, there are potatoes, squash, turnip, cabbage, carrots, onions. You can buy the out of season foods but they're not fresh.

There is ONE incredible grocery store--about two hours away. I went there once and spent all day. Everyone wishes one of these would come near them. It's almost too much--cafes, wine, aisle after aisle of things you never heard of, endless, over the top. They are very reluctant to spread out to other cities and if you live in a rural area like I do, you'll always be driving for hours.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wegm...w=1284&bih=682

Old 12-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wish we had grocery stores like that here. Summer is fine with all the farmers markets and anyway you can grow your own food. Winter is frozen veggies and canned goods. Well, there are potatoes, squash, turnip, cabbage, carrots, onions. You can buy the out of season foods but they're not fresh.

There is ONE incredible grocery store--about two hours away. I went there once and spent all day. Everyone wishes one of these would come near them. It's almost too much--cafes, wine, aisle after aisle of things you never heard of, endless, over the top. They are very reluctant to spread out to other cities and if you live in a rural area like I do, you'll always be driving for hours.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wegm...w=1284&bih=682
Fresh is an offshoot of local residents clamoring for a Whole Foods/Central Market type store. It services basically all of northeast Texas outside the Dallas area.

I have to admit, Texas and other southern states do benefit immensely from NAFTA and produce grown in Mexico - as well as Cali, Florida, and of course Texas itself. This really is a huge plus when it comes to the availability of fresh produce. In the wintertime I would bet that half our fresh produce comes from south of the border.

Fresh is one of those stores like you describe - exotic wines, cheeses, food in bulk, fresh spices, gourmet everything - in addition to just "regular stuff." And I've price checked - the "regular stuff" isn't any more expensive there than in other local stores. Of course, you expect to pay more for exotic stuff.

But this leads me back to the whole globalization thing. Growing up in the US, with such diversity at our fingertips, and being lucky enough to have lived and traveled in many parts of the world, I am just spoiled I guess to the availability of "foreign" foods and goods. Amazon, World Market, Central Market, Fresh, Whole Foods, Acorn, the internet in general brings anything I really have a hankering for right to my front door. We don't have the PRODUCE the best of everything - we just have to be able to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom