Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:04 PM

686 posts, read 1,119,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
London also contains beautiful people. Take me for example, I go there occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 02:30 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,503,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
~Everything is more expensive in london, everything.
Why do you think it's so cheap to live in Middlesbrough?

Old 01-13-2014, 05:52 AM

14,823 posts, read 11,940,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
I would choose Los Angeles. This is why:

~Don't underestimate how nice LA's weather is. The weather in London can be depressing at times. Especially in the winter when instead of real rain its more of a constant grey/drizzle. LA on the other hand has had only one day in the past month where the high dipped below 70...just one.(High pressure systems are amazing aren't they)
~The homes in London generally suck, especially if you are in a new home. Much like LA, homes are small and overpriced but it's even worse in London. Plus the quality of the homes in london(new homes) don't seem to be as good as in LA, my opinion though.
~While both cities are international magnets for immigrants, LA has better and cheaper Mexican food so the rest is irrelevant. But both have world class overpriced restaurants and small cash only hidden gems(which are better than the expensive restaurants) so you can't go wrong with choosing either city in that respect. Unless of course you like mexican food.
~The beaches are nice even if the water is freezing in LA. Beaches in England are garbage.
~You can go snowboarding every day in winter if you live in LA(weather dependent). There are zero mountains near London. Also a plus with the mountains is the hiking is great if you take advantage of the insane amount of natural beauty socal has to offer. London is a prettier city to walk through though, which is nice. England also has the beautiful farmland. So it depends on what you prefer.
~Everything is more expensive in london, everything.

But I'd love to spend a year or maybe two in London. I'd want to move back afterwords but it's an amazing city. Whatever floats your boat.
I have to disagree with you there! there are some stunningly beautiful beaches accross the UK! (dont forget there is something like 7000+ miles of beaches in the UK (it is an island you know) not all beaches are like Brighton seafront! :-)

Old 01-13-2014, 05:56 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,017,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I have to disagree with you there! there are some stunningly beautiful beaches accross the UK! (dont forget there is something like 7000+ miles of beaches in the UK (it is an island you know) not all beaches are like Brighton seafront! :-)
That's definitely the case but anything less than 70 degrees is hardly beach weather, unless you plan on remaining fully clothed!

Old 01-13-2014, 06:01 AM

14,823 posts, read 11,940,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
That's definitely the case but anything less than 70 degrees is hardly beach weather, unless you plan on remaining fully clothed!
I know - but it does get above 70 degrees in the UK in the summer you know! I spent probably 8 days over the last summer sunbathing on an English beach - as somebody that surfed a lot in my younger years I used to use the beaches in Cornwall from March to November quite regularly. Of course a British beach could be limited to 4 months use if youre just looking to sunbathe but the point remains that there really are some stunningly gorgeous beaches in the UK too.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:31 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,241,946 times
Yeah, British beaches are total garbage

british beaches images - Google Search

Old 01-13-2014, 08:07 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,016,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Why? Because it is sunny? LA doesn't have a patch on London in most regards - weather yes but London trumps LA imo. New York is comparable but not LA.
I totally agree, I found LA to be rather bland and soporific. Also very crime ridden and fascinating, but not in a museum way but more like in watching an episode of Breaking Bad kind of way. I found my trip down the west coast to be illuminating as far as poverty is concerned and the way LA appeared to be so openly gang ridden especially in the part of town by the Hollywood sign. I could imagine a good Coen Brothers film being made about some of the characters you come across in those cheap motels.

The beaches were nice, so were the majority of people and the beach was a laid back place but everything seems to wind down at around 10pm unlike NYC or London.

Weather will be your main issue, it is pretty cold in London right now but the summers are better than London's reputation suggests and the weather is seasonal rather than purely drab and grey though to be honest you will face more than your fair share of rainy days.

I like London, so much variety, character and vibrancy that I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I probably have more affection for Dublin but London has everything you could possibly want on every night of the week whether an excellent band or a brilliant play. You won't have to wait long for one of your favourite American artists to appear at a venue either and in that respect only London is similar to LA.

There's always celebrities on show at the latest Premiere in Leicester Square and I've been to a few and it's rather surreal to be standing alongside Sly Stallone or Madonna one minute and then back to the Kilburn the next and the old Voctorian houses sprawled along the Kilburn High Road which offers everything from street musicians to all night beggars as well as a wide variety of late night music venues and theatres itself. Despite the intricate mix of beautiful Victorian housing intermingled with daunting council estates and immigrants of all nationality and ethnic persuasion.

I prefer it here, it's worth putting up with the lousy weather, you'll see.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:12 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,016,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Yeah, British beaches are total garbage

british beaches images - Google Search
Bournemouth is better than Malibu any day of the week. Clean, serene and all in panoramic widescreen from the cliff tops and the hotels.

Malibu has serious sanitation issues. Bournemouth beach is clean and though Malibu is sunny talking of garbage the beach is wallowing in it.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:59 AM

994 posts, read 1,233,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
Lincoln, in the East Midlands or Aberdeen, in the Grampians of Scotland would be better.
These are both fine cities and of course far preferable to London in almost every respect - but I'd have to say that somewhere like Great Yarmouth or Southport would have more of the cosmopolitanism and refinement that a world traveller would be looking for.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:09 AM

490 posts, read 680,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Bournemouth is better than Malibu any day of the week. Clean, serene and all in panoramic widescreen from the cliff tops and the hotels.

Malibu has serious sanitation issues. Bournemouth beach is clean and though Malibu is sunny talking of garbage the beach is wallowing in it.
True, I was in Malibu early last year and the beaches were a real let down. Things improve cleanliness wise as you get south of Santa Monica in my experience, but the views get more bland.

I'd take Bournemouth & Poole every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom