Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:49 PM

50 posts, read 83,355 times

Advertisements

LA or London?

I have been working in LA since August this year. I have enjoyed my life here so far. Made some new friends and traveled to different part of the USA. Luckily enough, I have just received a job offer from London.

Studied in Scotland for 6 years when I was young but had not lived in London (apart from visiting my friends there for a few times). I love the Country, in fact, both the US and the UK. I had a lot of fun as a student when I was in Scotland! I also had a lot of fun as an adult in LA!

I am debating if I should leave what I have in LA now and move to London. I will not be able to get promotion in LA due to my Scottish education (the main reason I looked for jobs outside the States). I could be promoted at certain point in LA but I would need to put a lot of effort. If I move to London, I will be hired in a senior level as the UK recongised my Scottish education. Salary after tax in is slightly higher in London.

I like my LA life. I’m afraid if I leave LA, I will not be able to come back (to work) anymore. I like the So Cal sunshine but I also like the wet and cold in the UK. (OK, I’m greedy!)

Do you guys have any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 01:51 PM

58 posts, read 110,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyOyIn8 View Post
I would stay in LA for the weather, entertainment, shopping oppourtunies, cheaper consumer goods, food, beaches, mountains, scenary, ocean, palm trees, nice houses, and overall beauty and more opportunities.

London is amazing city with great history, royal feel, castles and proximity to rest of Europe but I would not want to stay or live there permanantly more than a year or two the most.
It's always interesting to hear alternative viewpoints. Personally speaking as an American, I'd love to live in London for a few years. London is pricey, but so is the West and East Coast of the U.S.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:59 PM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
I've worked in both London and LA- well Orange County to be precise.

It's not straightforward and you know the things that mean the most to you.

Do you have much of a commute in LA, and would travel in London be an issue for you?

Old 01-08-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I've worked in both London and LA- well Orange County to be precise.

It's not straightforward and you know the things that mean the most to you.

Do you have much of a commute in LA, and would travel in London be an issue for you?
Jezer - Commute is not an issue for me in LA. I like my car. If I move to London, I won't have my own car any more. In terms of people, culture and finance, do you prefer LA or London?

LA may give a better life style and more freedom, but London will probably better in a career prospectus.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:05 AM

20 posts, read 43,097 times
haven't been in LA in a few years, but it has a much nicer climate. overall the place is not too pleasant though.
L.A. has about 10 more years before California balkanizes. Maybe less. It's going to be important to be in a good spot (financially) when it happens.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC15 View Post
LA may give a better life style
Why? Because it is sunny? LA doesn't have a patch on London in most regards - weather yes but London trumps LA imo. New York is comparable but not LA.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingThat View Post
haven't been in LA in a few years, but it has a much nicer climate. overall the place is not too pleasant though.
L.A. has about 10 more years before California balkanizes. Maybe less. It's going to be important to be in a good spot (financially) when it happens.
why do you think it's not too pleasant?

Old 01-09-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Why? Because it is sunny? LA doesn't have a patch on London in most regards - weather yes but London trumps LA imo. New York is comparable but not LA.
Yes, it's sunny and it's bigger, more choices of restaurants and shopping etc. I am in financial industry, so working in London will be more stressful but better for my career. Working in LA (as my Scottish degree is not recognisable by the company) will hold me back but I will have a relaxing life.

I'm just afraid I won't be able to come back to work in LA anymore. I lived in the windy city and NYC for a short period. I don't like them much. LA is kind of different from other cities in the USA....

Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 PM

4 posts, read 9,401 times
LA. London is very overrated and I hate it when the weather is clumsy! :P

Though I've been reading about the possible radiation leak melting west coast, at least London lies on a different ocean. :/

Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
I think London would be a great opportunity and you like the weather there, too. You'll be making more money, which will make trips back to LA a regular thing hopefully. You may even have work opportunities to return to LA through your London job or future positions. I don't understand why they wouldn't recognize your Scottish education in LA - I would think that would be a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom