Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 04:54 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

England's odd leasehold property system is behind much of the wealth being concentrated within a certain few hands. Where you have almost seventy percent of the land owed by under one half percent of the population there exists a recipe for disaster.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:00 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
I don't see any problem about the 5 families in the OP.

If you want more for yourself then be smart and get your own.

Why worry about the .1%?

Old 03-23-2014, 05:12 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

Why worry about the .1%?
Opportunity isn't democratic. Far from it, really. A family's financial, educational, and social capital are significant determinants of the children's future.

When I consider my own trajectory through, it is blindingly obvious that "my" choices are the result of opportunities created by family. Globally speaking, they have been pretty good. I've spent the last six years overseas studying and am in the process of applying for doctoral programs. I won't have to worry about money for some time. These proverbial doors would have been shut under different circumstances (ie not having a highly educated mother and a rich grandfather).

From the guardian article, the first four families were shoe-ins. Applauding their efforts is like applauding the "efforts" of a crown prince hours before his coronation. Only the fifth, Mike Ashley, could be considered self-made.

The self-made stories are extremely useful is keeping the drones quiet, I will say that.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:29 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

Why worry about the .1%?
it is kind of hard to "get your own" when the aforementioned families and their lot pretty much own much of the property in the country.

Creating wealth requires assets and that for most means land especially that under where you live. Under the leasehold system what you've got is basically long term renters, as sooner or later the lease ends and either must be renewed or the property returns to the owner.

As for the balance of your post, yes, historically many persons seeking to "get their own" legged it out of England/UK to places like the USA, Canada and even Australia because they saw emigration as the only way to own property and build wealth.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:21 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
By saying "get your own", I didn't mean to restrict yourselves to the UK.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:48 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
England's odd leasehold property system is behind much of the wealth being concentrated within a certain few hands. Where you have almost seventy percent of the land owed by under one half percent of the population there exists a recipe for disaster.
Yep. England and Wales are alone in having residential leasehold. It is a licence to print money for landlords. Look at:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/watercity/LandArticle.html

Old 03-24-2014, 05:18 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
MOD NOTE:

This is not the economics forum...

If you want an in depth discussion about the benefits and drawbacks of taxations systems, please feel free to do so in the economics forum.

As per...
One and only warning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom