Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:45 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
Really?, hitlers threat to Britain was over in the battle of Britain in 1940, years before America got involved lol.
Over 70% of cities and towns from d day onwards were liberated by Britain. All the major battles in Europe were won by Britain and Russia. The desert war, the battle of the Atlantic, the Battle of Britain and nearly all the fighting from d day to Berlin by Britain.
Americas role in the war was to supply resources, they were untrained and inexperienced in modern war so were left out of most of the fighting, Canada liberated more land than America.
The pacific war was the same, nearly all the killed and captured Japanese soldiers were killed and captured by BRITAIN and CHINA. While Britain captured and liberated Malaysia, Burma, Hong Kong, Singapore and most of china, America captured a couple of tiny volcanic islands.
It always makes me laugh that America think they played a big role, World War Two was won by Britain and Russia, period.
I don't like having to respond like this but when some moron says something as ridiculous as "you would be speaking German if it werent for us", when Americas role in the fighting was minimal and a minor player behind britain and russia it makes me laugh, what do they teach in American schools lol

The allied forces were all instrumental in WW2, not one country over another. America played an important role, but not THE role of course. Nonetheless, without the support and resources there may have been an entirely different outcome no? I think it is you who needs questioning on your education (which seems to be nothing but the drinking of British Kool Aid), as your points are not accurate. To suggest that WW2 was "won by Britain and Russia, period" makes me think that you have an extremely shallow understanding of that entire period in history.

Anyway, this forum always turns to conversation about America (maybe its just British insecurity?), so back on point - Britain should hold a referendum on EU membership because the EU is evolving into a different organization than the one that Britain joined, plus it seems that there is an ever growing number of British people who want out and they should have their say. I would hope that the UK would remain in after some reasoned debate, but the referendum should take place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 09:45 PM

301 posts, read 521,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
The allied forces were all instrumental in WW2, not one country over another. America played an important role, but not THE role of course. Nonetheless, without the support and resources there may have been an entirely different outcome no? I think it is you who needs questioning on your education (which seems to be nothing but the drinking of British Kool Aid), as your points are not accurate. To suggest that WW2 was "won by Britain and Russia, period" makes me think that you have an extremely shallow understanding of that entire period in history.

Anyway, this forum always turns to conversation about America (maybe its just British insecurity?), so back on point - Britain should hold a referendum on EU membership because the EU is evolving into a different organization than the one that Britain joined, plus it seems that there is an ever growing number of British people who want out and they should have their say. I would hope that the UK would remain in after some reasoned debate, but the referendum should take place.
I can't help but notice you didn't respond to the guy who laughably said that "we would be speaking German if it werent for us",.
What's with the Windsor, you are American clearly, a Brit would never use the term 'cool aid'

Old 03-27-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
I can't help but notice you didn't respond to the guy who laughably said that "we would be speaking German if it werent for us",.
What's with the Windsor, you are American clearly, a Brit would never use the term 'cool aid'
Nope, British from Windsor. You?

Last edited by Mag3.14; 03-27-2014 at 11:07 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 02:02 AM

16,669 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Ian was formerly in Windsor but after his attempts to become Royal Correspondent for the BBC were mysteriously scuppered he left for pastures new.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:51 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Ian was formerly in Windsor but after his attempts to become Royal Correspondent for the BBC were mysteriously scuppered he left for pastures new.
Rejection is a terrible thing

Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

This made me laugh

Old 03-28-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Rejection is a terrible thing

That is definitely a job I would be rejected for, without question. I'm comfortable with that though

Old 03-28-2014, 03:05 PM

110 posts, read 165,734 times
We seem to have really gone 'off track' on this one - back to the European Union - our local Member European Parliament is currently pushing for the Mountain Rescue service to be exempt from VAT (sales tax) on the purchase of equipment & supplies, my nearest city (Salford) has had recent funding to greatly improve its downtown area, and private investment is now coming in to bring the city alive again. I have worked for an EU funded project in the past, which provided significant help to the Manufacturing sector after the collapse of communism, when our defence industry contracts dried up, in their quest for new markets. The Northern Ireland peace process was helped along by no fewer than 7,000 inter-community projects (yes, many were very small neighbourhood initiatives, at low cost, but it all helped). So yes, we do get quite a bit from the EU but our national politicians rarely acknowledge this, or if possible take the credit themselves. Additionally there has been increasing centralisation of power taken by our national government from local authorities, particularly financial, and I believe at least some of them see the EU as a threat to their thirst for power - no, I don't have any respect for our current political structure, I don't believe it is fit for purpose and, judging by the level of voter turnout in elections at all levels, this disenchantment is widespread.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Egerton View Post
We seem to have really gone 'off track' on this one
That's the aim of the game

Old 03-28-2014, 05:19 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
Just curious about this info since we (Americans) don't get this type of news in the USA.
Veering slightly off topic in another direction, if you are interested in news from Britain, PBS plays the BBC news.

I was in Britain when joining was being discussed and there were a lot of people against joining. At least Britain didn't get the Euro jammed down their throats with all the loss of control of the economy that involves.

All the bureaucratic control over niggly little things would drive me crazy. It's like Europe is being controlled by people who aren't qualified to run a country, but are very good at passing lots of regulations that aren't really needed.

I would think that by this time, the Brits would know whether or not they like being part of the European Union. So, a vote is the way to decide it. I'm surprised though that the EU bureaucrats will allow members to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom