U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:49 PM

3,612 posts, read 1,726,859 times

Advertisements

Aborted babies incinerated to heat UK hospitals - Telegraph

How horrible! I work in a hospital boiler room and cannot imagine doing this! What the Heck is wrong with these people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,835,150 times
What do you propose?

Individual burials for foetuses that were not wanted?

Maybe it's the least bad option.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:50 PM

4,954 posts, read 3,071,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
What do you propose?

Actually, that's a good idea.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:02 PM

3,612 posts, read 1,726,859 times
Quote:
What do you propose?

If you bothered to read the article, the patients weren't given a choice. Secondly, it's one thing to place the baby in a medical waste incinerator. It's different to toss it in a furnace.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:32 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,283,353 times
Quote:
What do you propose?

I'm with Hengist on this one..

Old 03-25-2014, 10:55 AM

The NHS

Old 03-25-2014, 11:16 AM

7,428 posts, read 3,069,333 times
Don't see anything wrong with this...its good that the energy from the babies are getting used rather than escaping into the atmosphere.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 AM

38,755 posts, read 39,209,389 times
Your body is made of molecules of various chemicals and substances. which pass into and out of it during your lifetime. Where do you think all those molecules will be a thousand years from how? Will they have been used for some useful purpose on their way back into the chaos of the universe? Do you think that your molecules are somehow deserving of special treatment through eternity, just because they once, briefly, at the moment of your death, were driven by the commands of your soul?

Why do so many people's sad lives revolve around such trivial concerns?

Old 03-25-2014, 11:46 AM

1,832 posts, read 1,011,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If you bothered to read the article, the patients weren't given a choice. Secondly, it's one thing to place the baby in a medical waste incinerator. It's different to toss it in a furnace.

From a purely ethical perspective, I'm not sure what the distinction is between a furnace and a medical waste incinerator? Both of them are essentially incinerators.
Nowhere in the article did it use the word 'furnace' anyway, it used the term 'waste to energy plant' which as far as I understand it is a medical waste incinerator.

I'm not sure what the NHS is expected to do to be honest. This is about choice, not about the method of disposal.
A miscarried baby is a separate issue - the parents should be asked permission what they want to do - many parents choose to have a formal funeral at their own cost. So on this issue I would agree that parents should be consulted.
But aborted fetuses are unwanted. Is the NHS supposed to fund funerals for them that nobody is going to turn up to? I'm not sure what the ethical issue is here. The issue seems to be that it's okay to cremate the fetus, just not okay to use the heat from the remains? Isn't that environmentally unethical?
Sorry I'm female and I don't have a problem with it either.

Last edited by Cruithne; 03-25-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 02:44 PM

More about baby burning:

Britain’s Baby Burning | Web Exclusives | Daily Writings From Our Top Writers | First Things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom