Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:08 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
True, Dominic West on The Wire had me thinking that he was from Baltimore.
Nah. He was doing a serviceable standard American accent with a bit of "grit", but its not a Baltimore accent. Not even close. As far as the run of the mill British actor doing a good American accent - its very rare. I watch a lot of British shows and invariable the supposed American character is played by a British actor who didn't get enough dialog and accent coaching. I saw an interview with Andrew Lincoln (The Walking Dead) and he had nothing but praise for his excellent dialog coach who helped him master the Georgia accent of a middle-class, small town guy. He said it took a lot of work to get it down pat.

Last edited by BeauCharles; 06-13-2014 at 08:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 08:18 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
This is true...even harder for Americans to imitate Australian, I've NEVER heard a good imitation of an Aussie accent by a yank. Some Brits can pull it off, like Daniel Radcliffe in December Boys, since our accents are similar.
Perhaps because its hard to tone down the rhoticity of most US accents? I've never heard a Brit get it absolutely right, though. The give-aways are usually that the cadence and ending inflection are off, and the British "t" sound - Aussies typically sound their "t"s closer to "d" than the British "t".

Last edited by Richard1098; 06-13-2014 at 09:02 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 08:56 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Nah. He was doing a serviceable standard American accent with a bit of "grit", but its not a Baltimore accent. Not even close. As far as the run of the mill British actor doing a good American accent - its very rare. I watch a lot of British shows and invariable the supposed American character is played by a British actor who didn't get enough dialog and accent coaching. I saw an interview with Andrew Lincoln (The Walking Dead) and he had nothing but praise for his excellent dialog coach who helped him master the Georgia accent of a middle-class, small town guy. He said it took a lot of work to get it down pat.
He does a pretty good job,as Hugh Laurie did . I agree on Ryan Kwantin .On the flip side Steven Moyer's accent is awful

Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Perhaps because its hard to tone down the rhoticity of most US accents? I've never heard a Brit get it absolutely right, though. The give-aways are usually that the cadence and ending inflection are off, and the British "t" sound - Aussies typically sound their "t"s closer to "d" than the British "t".
Not true. Many older speakers retain definite 't' and do not 'flap'. In John C. Well's 1981 'Accents of English' he commented that it's been noticed that some young people are beginning to replace t with d, so that butter sounds like 'budder', better like 'better'. At the same, most Australians did not flap like Americans. Even now, many who try to sound more proper retain the 't' (it's variable). Of course it's hard to get EXACTLY right, but some get pretty darn close, at least a hell of a lot closer than some of the travesties I've heard Americans attempting...

Old 06-14-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I can name many performances by British and Australian actors who nailed the American accent. It might not be 100%, but it's at least 90-95%. I've heard of course thousands of Australian AND American accents, so am probably a better judge.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:09 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,368 times
Quote:
Even now, many who try to sound more proper retain the 't' (it's variable). Of course it's hard to get EXACTLY right, but some get pretty darn close, at least a hell of a lot closer than some of the travesties I've heard Americans attempting...
Yeh, but that's the thing...they are trying to sound "proper".

Meryl Streep did a fairly thorough job of torturing the Aussie accent in Evil Angels.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:

Meryl Streep did a fairly thorough job of torturing the Aussie accent in Evil Angels.
Well like I said, the flapping thing is a newer development. As in the last 40 years perhaps, largely due to American influence. Listen to older speakers, say over 80 or even 65, and you'll notice more pronounce the 't' in such words. Among those my age, including myself, yes, flapping is typical but not universal.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:

Ugh yeah...I guess she did a passable rendition of Margaret Thatcher in 'The Iron Lady.'

Old 06-14-2014, 07:30 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
British actors in general are better at it than the other way around, very very few American actors can convincingly put on foreign accents.
Clearly you've never seen Kevin Costner's seamless English accent in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Why, if I didn't know better I would have thought Costner was British through and through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXTj5nd2oKQ

Old 06-14-2014, 11:25 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:
I can name many performances by British and Australian actors who nailed the American accent. It might not be 100%, but it's at least 90-95%. I've heard of course thousands of Australian AND American accents, so am probably a better judge.
I'll give it to Australian actors playing Americans in US productions - they generally do a good job. I think where I notice shaky accents are in British productions. Many constantly get certain inflections and nuances of the accent wrong and will use British terms instead of Americans ones. I guess it doesn't matter as much because the home audience wouldn't be harsh critics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom