Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:59 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
though you could make the argument London itself is actually the most different from the rest of the country due to so many foreigners living there and its unique situation of being the only large city in England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
London.

It's the least "English" of all the regions. It wasn't so at one time but certainly these days. Whenever I leave London the rest of England feels so very different. It's actually, gasp, England!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's funny London still feels very English to me, but then again I come from Australia and was noticing the gardens, buildings and British quaintness that still exists in the capital.
I don't see why London would be any less English than the rest of the nation, any more than Paris is less French than other parts of France, or New York City is less American than the rest of the US, or Tokyo is less Japanese, Toronto less Canadian, or Sydney any less Australian, for being the largest cities in their country.

For some reason, people seem to think that being a big city, perhaps due to its cosmopolitanism, and thus less associated with clinging on to traditions, makes a country less "authentic" in its national character than small, rural towns. But you could argue that being the biggest city in a country also represents the bustling character, with vibrant crowds in public spaces, of that country too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:50 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Its been many years since I've been to the UK, but I hear the Finsbury Park area especially around the famous mosque feels more like Baghdad than like a British city.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:40 AM

37 posts, read 106,273 times
London is best one in England with the glory and history point of view. Whenever you visit this place you will find it different rest of the world.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:55 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post

It is very different to any other English city.
"...if Liverpool can get into top gear again there is no limit to the city's potential. The scale and resilience of the buildings and people is amazing – it is a world city, far more so than London and Manchester. It doesn't feel like anywhere else in Lancashire: comparisons always end up overseas – Dublin, or Boston, or Hamburg."
– Ian Nairn, Britain's Changing Towns, 1967
Actually Liverpool is more comparable to Glasgow than to any foreign city.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:08 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,063,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Actually Liverpool is more comparable to Glasgow than to any foreign city.
Of UK cities probably right. But Liverpool still has foreign influences far more than any other UK city.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:16 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Lake District

Looks more like Scotland than England

Old 05-02-2014, 09:36 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
Probably got to be the Cornish.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:23 AM

255 posts, read 565,596 times
Scousers and Geordies.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:32 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
What part of England (not Great Britain) do you feel has the strongest regional identity and feels the most unlike other parts of England? My guess would probably be the extremities, ie Cornwall and Northumbria on opposite ends of the country, though you could make the argument London itself is actually the most different from the rest of the country due to so many foreigners living there and its unique situation of being the only large city in England.
I can't find any statistics, but I am under the impression that the Southwest has more foreign born than the northern regions. My guess is that the North East has the lowest of all 9 regions.

7,052,177- North West
5,283,733 - Yorkshire and the Humber
2,596,886- North East

5,288,935- South West

The phrase "To carry Coals to Newcastle" is first documented in North America in 1679 but was probably used in England during the reign of Henry VIII. Unfortunately, it is probably the only thing most Americans know about the region.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:52 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

The phrase "To carry Coals to Newcastle" is first documented in North America in 1679 but was probably used in England during the reign of Henry VIII. Unfortunately, it is probably the only thing most Americans know about the region.
But now that most of the mines have closed, the only coal from Newcastle these days is Cheryl Cole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom