Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:20 AM

32 posts, read 72,201 times

Advertisements

In response to the high influx of immigrant to UK with the open borders of the EU, the UK has discontinued some of the visa options that non-EU immigrants qualified under.

If the UK leave the EU and the open immigration from EU members is sorted, what do you think the probability is for some of the non-EU visas to return?

I mean the visas with points systems and qualifying criteria that everyone needs to meet instead of just qualifying by being an EU member citizen.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:16 AM

20,652 posts, read 23,817,079 times
I don't think we need migrants. We are a small country not America.

Oh and also there is no possibility of those levels returning. Ziltch.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:33 PM

825 posts, read 1,031,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I don't think we need migrants. We are a small country not America.

Oh and also there is no possibility of those levels returning. Ziltch.
Some of us actually fill jobs that are tough to fill locally. I wouldn't say you need none.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:13 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,438,265 times
I read the other day that Theresa May (head of the Home Office) has reduced non-EU immigration levels to their lowest point in sixteen years - levels last seen under the last Tory government before Blair came into office.

She has no control over EU migration.

It would be very interesting to see what would happen should Britain leave the EU because the status of all EU migrants would be immediately impacted. They would no longer have automatic rights to be in the UK. My guess is that some type of temporary reprieve / work permits would be issued to existing EU migrants already in the country, or Britain would enter into separate agreements with the EU or certain EU countries to allow for relatively easy migration based offers of employment, as long as those migrants received only temporary work permits and nothing that guaranteed citizenship or permanent residency.

Given that current EU migrants in the UK would probably be allowed to stay, if only temporarily, and given that a big factor behind the proposed EU referendum is the demand to curtail immigration, it's unlikely that Britain would be looking to increase the levels of non-EU migrants any time soon. If anything, the immigration policies would be more geared towards EU, not non-EU immigrants, as Britain would still want to maintain good working relationships with the EU.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:15 AM

I'd like to see more migrants from America, Australia, Canada etc because they aren't actually poor.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:32 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,036,406 times
There should be no non-EU immigration. No need for it. Non-EU immigration invariably is non-white, which adds to the already strained race relations in the UK.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:31 AM

326 posts, read 469,593 times
Quote:
I'd like to see more migrants from America, Australia, Canada etc because they aren't actually poor.
the only people that would come to britain from them coutries are their poor population, to leach on our welfare system. Why would any rich American, Australian or Canadian want to come to Britain.. Rich Britons are emigrating there if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
There should be no non-EU immigration. No need for it. Non-EU immigration invariably is non-white, which adds to the already strained race relations in the UK.
There is a more strained relation between White Britons and White Euros than there is between White Britons and Non-white Non-EU's.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:53 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,227,358 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
the only people that would come to britain from them coutries are their poor population, to leach on our welfare system. Why would any rich American, Australian or Canadian want to come to Britain.. Rich Britons are emigrating there if anything.

There is a more strained relation between White Britons and White Euros than there is between White Britons and Non-white Non-EU's.

My oh my. You guys are just plain uninformed, low information loons. That's about all you can say to the above.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:54 AM

20 posts, read 32,923 times
Why cant british citizens emigrate to the u.s.a why cant usa citizens emigrate to the U.K unless off course there really rich? dont understand it.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:02 AM

Yes I don't understand it. The Americans make it so easy for the poor Cubans and the Mexicans get in that they can basically walk in yet they treat us like we are criminals.

We know its a 'free country' but surely rich immigrants are more beneficial than poor immigrants..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom