Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:23 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

I am reading "Othello" and find myself wondering why the English showed such disdain/hatred for a people that they barely met? I know that they are Venetians, but Shakespeare was English and must have written from the politics of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 03:30 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I am reading "Othello" and find myself wondering why the English showed such disdain/hatred for a people that they barely met? I know that they are Venetians, but Shakespeare was English and must have written from the politics of the day.
Try reading about the Crusades, we did indeed have a history with regards to the Muslim world.

As for the Moors, the Spanish and Portuguese were the ones who ordered them to convert to Christianity and who later went on to slaughter and expel them from Europe.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:42 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Try reading about the Crusades, we did indeed have a history with regards to the Muslim world.

As for the Moors, the Spanish and Portuguese were the ones who ordered them to convert to Christianity and who later went on to slaughter and expel them from Europe.
OK. Fair enough. But it seems like the Othello characters dislike him because he is "black". There are references to his skin color and his big lips. How did Englishmen develop such a dislike for blacks way before the era of the Slave Trade?

Old 05-28-2014, 12:05 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
You would have to ask Shakespeare that wehotex. Othello is after all a work of fiction not fact. As Bamford said, it seems the Spanish & the Portuguese dislked the Blacks a whole lot more.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:38 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
The Moors is seems appeared in Britain long before Shakespeare..
The National Archives | Exhibitions & Learning online | Black presence | Early times

Old 05-30-2014, 12:42 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,521 times
Elizabethans were well used to black people in their midst.

BBC News - Britain's first black community in Elizabethan London

To assume hatred based on Othello is simplistic, as he is no more flawed than Hamlet, Macbeth, Romeo, or any other tragic hero. I like to think Shakespeare was portraying a complete and complex character, rather than a simplistic stereotype. Maybe the joke is on those characters showing disdain for the here's colour.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:12 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
Quote:
OK. Fair enough. But it seems like the Othello characters dislike him because he is "black". There are references to his skin color and his big lips. How did Englishmen develop such a dislike for blacks way before the era of the Slave Trade?
So...prejudice didn't exist before the 18/19th century? It appeared overnight? It's no different than Gentiles disliking Jews and vice versa in a Roman times, or the Protestant/Catholic divide during the Tudor era. The fact that race is involved in Othello is merely another form of prejudice of dislike of "another" in general.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:20 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Read the text again. Othello was very popular. Most of the unabashed racist comments are solely Iago speaking to Desdemona's father. Iago was an expert at playing on people's weaknesses.

And Desdemona's father was great friends with Othello, but he couldn't picture him romancing his daughter.

I think the play is distorted by many people today, because they see it through 20th century racism. They fail to see the racist comments as no different than the comments about money or reputation that Iago makes. He is just looking to exploit weakness.

In general Shakespeare was not a social commentator. He was very interested in individuals.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 06-03-2014 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 10:22 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
the Saracens were going to invade europe

Old 06-05-2014, 01:44 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Default Racist lines in Othello

The racist lines are primarily the first 8 lines of Iago to Desdemona's father. As racist lines they are among the finest ever written.
IAGO
'Zounds, sir, you are one of those that will not
serve God, if the devil bid you. Because we come to
do you service and you think we are ruffians, you'll
have your daughter covered with a Barbary horse;
you'll have your nephews neigh to you; you'll have
coursers for cousins and gennets for germans.
IAGO
I am one, sir, that comes to tell you your daughter
and the Moor are now making the beast with two backs.

Brabantio complains to the Duke that his daughter was stolen by witchcraft. But after the Duke asks Desdemona to explain why she fell in love with Othello he is very convinced by her story. He says:

DUKE OF VENICE
I think this tale would win my daughter too.

I think that summarizes my point. The play is not about racism in general. Even the Duke admits that his daughter would be seduced by Othello's charm. They then proceed to plan for the war, and racism never really is discussed again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom