Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 09:45 AM

85 posts, read 121,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
That's a good one, and a place where English seems not to be acceptable.
But then again fanny can mean something very different in the UK!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 04:53 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I should have said; Close the door.
O dear, my mind was on a dirty weekend, I was waay off LMAO

It's something like my DH says 'put some glass in that window', right?

Old 07-12-2014, 04:56 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Get off your high horse!
Hold your horses...

Old 07-12-2014, 05:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Get off your high horse!
Hold your horses...
Americans say these all the time - very, very common phrases where I grew up (the south).

My husband has a favorite phrase to use when we're on a long road trip: "I've gotta pee like a wild Comanche on a Russian racehorse." He freely admits he has no idea what that means or where that term came from.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:41 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
New one for me from Brit hubby on a camping trip.

This is a good pitch.

Huh? Pitcher? (No, that's called a jug.)

So a pitch to them is a campsite to us. A campsite to them is a campground to us.

Always learning.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:37 PM

165 posts, read 189,660 times
In NC and SC, we say pitch but use it a little differently. It's not uncommon to hear someone say they are thinking about going and pitching a tent somewhere. That means to go camping. Also we call putting up a tent, pitching a tent.

KathrynAragon: The russian race horse is used here too. I don't know where it came from either. Don't care to speculate too much on that one.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:56 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Here in the Deep South of Northern Florida, people say, "I'm fixing to..." as in, "I'm fixing to make some chicken," or "I'm fixing to leave in five minutes."

Old 07-13-2014, 04:09 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
In NC and SC, we say pitch but use it a little differently. It's not uncommon to hear someone say they are thinking about going and pitching a tent somewhere. That means to go camping. Also we call putting up a tent, pitching a tent.

KathrynAragon: The russian race horse is used here too. I don't know where it came from either. Don't care to speculate too much on that one.
We pitch a tent up here too but we don't call the campsite a pitch.

He used to own a caravan company back in England--thank goodness, a man who likes to camp! The garden hose was a hosepipe; he now calls it a hose so that I will understand him.

I will say one thing for English men, at least the one I married: they know the difference between the tea towel and the hand towel. I've had American men start to help dry the dishes with the hand towel but this one knew, right off the bat, that you use the tea towel. And he knew enough to call it that.

(Of course he calls the stove, the cooker. The cups were beakers, I think. Now, being from the North of England, he just calls them mooooogs.)

Old 07-13-2014, 04:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We pitch a tent up here too but we don't call the campsite a pitch.

He used to own a caravan company back in England--thank goodness, a man who likes to camp! The garden hose was a hosepipe; he now calls it a hose so that I will understand him.

I will say one thing for English men, at least the one I married: they know the difference between the tea towel and the hand towel. I've had American men start to help dry the dishes with the hand towel but this one knew, right off the bat, that you use the tea towel. And he knew enough to call it that.

(Of course he calls the stove, the cooker. The cups were beakers, I think. Now, being from the North of England, he just calls them mooooogs.)
I had no idea that there was even a difference between a hand towel and a tea towel! There's certainly not in my house - if so, I don't know it! LOL

But then, I don't even associate any towels with tea at all. Except paper towels, if I spill some...

Old 07-13-2014, 04:39 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I had no idea that there was even a difference between a hand towel and a tea towel! There's certainly not in my house - if so, I don't know it! LOL

But then, I don't even associate any towels with tea at all. Except paper towels, if I spill some...
So what do you call the small towel you use to dry your hands after a trip to the bathroom?

Another word I grew up with in England - used by my Dad who was from Derbyshire - gubbins. Do Brits still use that word to describe odds and ends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom