Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 12:30 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree about the Yorkshire accent - it was a toughie for me to get my ears around. After a few days I understood it better.

Scottish accents are a challenge - we recently watched "Shallow Grave" and it was difficult to understand some parts of it (though I thoroughly enjoyed watching cutie pie Ewan McGregor so that made up for it). Speaking of that cutie, another UK movie that I found charming but hard to understand was "Little Voice."
Haven't heard of those but I'll check them out. Aye, Ewan is cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 01:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Haven't heard of those but I'll check them out. Aye, Ewan is cute.
Oh, he's a doll and both these movies were from when he was very young, though probably not innocent.

Both movies are really, really good. I especially love Shallow Grave. Bear with it the first ten minutes - you'll be wondering why I recommended it. But about ten minutes into the movie, suddenly everything changes - you won't need me to tell you when it happens either! I love that movie.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:19 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
There are many Scottish accents. I still have a bit of trouble understanding a heavy Glaswegian one and I don't live that far from Glasgow and go into the city often.

This. Of all acents from the UK, this is the toughest one. The Welsh accents are easiest for me along with RP.
My best friend in from Pontefract in Yorkshire, and when he talsk fast , over the phone, I can't understand him. I don't have that problem face to face.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:52 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I should imagine Americans would need an interpreter to understand films such as 'Kes' set in a thick Yorkshire (Barnsley) accent and indeed heavy Geordie (Newcastle), Scouse (Liverpool), Brum (Birmingham) etc would all be difficult on the untrained ear, and that is even before you consider Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The entire movie is on Google so I skipped through a few minutes of it. I'm pretty good with many British accents and was in England long enough to be able to catch most slang and colloquialisms, but that film is very hard to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
We went into a KFC in palm beach and the woman (black from like Georgia or something) could not understand us nor could we understand her. She may as well have been foreign because the language she was speaking didn't sound English.
I really don't get some people. Why they don't feel to moderate their accent is beyond me.
This reminds me of a chat I had in Yosemite National Park with a couple of German girls driving across the US on holiday. They spoke very good English and told me that they could easily understand me with my Western US/California accent. They did say that they spent the night in a small town in Mississippi and literally could not understand the majority of the people there who were black. They said it was like a foreign language to them. I know what they meant - I've traveled to the South to visit family and would often have to carefully listen to understand what some rural blacks would say.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:30 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,024,194 times
I have no problem understanding American accents, but I struggle with some British ones (being British myself). Scottish, Geordie (Newcastle) & some other northern accents (Carlisle for example) I sometimes don't have a clue what they are saying...

Old 06-27-2014, 12:21 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
UK isn't too bad, except in security and pass control at Heathrow.

Go to Scotland, either Aberdeen or Glasgow. Their dialects/accents are a real challenge.

Buy the way, a "WC" is a toilet.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:16 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Heck, after visiting for two weeks I was speaking with a Brit accent. The youth hostels were da bomb.

Wadda=US

Wawwtah=UK

and BTW a bathroom is a room with a bathtub in it, if you have to go really badly you may have to use that as there may not be a toilet in there. That was a big WTH LMFAO.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:45 PM

6 posts, read 5,576 times
Everything can be learnt.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:45 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
The entire movie is on Google so I skipped through a few minutes of it. I'm pretty good with many British accents and was in England long enough to be able to catch most slang and colloquialisms, but that film is very hard to understand.
Don't want to upset you but the version of kes you saw is almost certainty the redubbed version with a softened accent and less slang to make it easier to understand!

Old 06-28-2014, 03:14 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
The US has regional variations in accent, however they are still understandable, indeed far more so than many English regional accents. I should imagine Americans would need an interpreter to understand films such as 'Kes' set in a thick Yorkshire (Barnsley) accent and indeed heavy Geordie (Newcastle), Scouse (Liverpool), Brum (Birmingham) etc would all be difficult on the untrained ear, and that is even before you consider Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
This is mostly true but the US is no slouch when it comes to WFT accents. Get someone with a thick Okie accent or some of those Appalachian or Tidewater accents and it doesn't even sound like English anymore LOL.

Overall, thanks to having a few British teachers and working for two decades in a theme park with many visitors being from the UK, I can understand most British accents. That is until they start dipping deep into their local slang or colloquiums then forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom