Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:15 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times

Advertisements

I never seen any chip shops in america. I suppose the name makes sense for basket..

Are there any in Orlando? Where are you there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 06:19 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I never seen any chip shops in america. I suppose the name makes sense for basket..

Are there any in Orlando? Where are you there?
I live in Orlando itself, but on the East Side away from all of the tourest locations. I wish we had real fish and chips shops here but we don't. You can ,on occasion ,find good fish and chips on some restaurant menus though. You can find decent ones in a lot of places in New England

Old 07-30-2014, 11:06 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
I would imagine you get them from burger takeaways.. they don't do it like us really

Old 07-30-2014, 11:17 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
In general however American English is easy because it's so SLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW W :-)

And the opposite is true for Brit-speak, which often comes out at such a rapid-fire pace that it makes New Yorkers seem like Texans.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:20 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I would imagine you get them from burger takeaways.. they don't do it like us really
I have been to one or two places that my British friends find acceptable... The rest, no go.. Usually they are at decent sit down places.

Also, Indian food. I always take my UK friends to try Indian places that get their approval

Old 07-30-2014, 11:56 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,636 times
Chicken in a basket was a very common food to have in UK pubs in the 80s and 90s. Not sure why having it in a basket was a big thing, it was just chicken and chips (fries).

Old 07-30-2014, 12:34 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I knew of some Brits in Texas who asked for water and were brought vodka.

I find it difficult to pick up on what is being said on some US TV programmes, but the same can be said of some of the mumblings on our programmes as well these days.

My main issue in Texas was understanding what some Hispanics were saying to me despite the fact that they were speaking English.

GeeZ, that could easily happen to someone from NY visiting TX
Would love to hear the story behind the water to vodka transformation tho
[hmm, wa-ter, vod-ka; wat-er, vo-dka ] Maybe I'm pronouncing something wrong?
May have heard that explaination at one time, but now it eludes me. Anyone from Texas care to refresh my memory banks on that?

I remember traveling up from the DC area to MA and along the way we stopped and asked for regular coffee (which to us - Mr C and moi) meant - no cream/no sugar but what did we get? Where ever it was (can't remember now) their idea of regular was the add-ins, apparently. Just like going into some restaurants that serve their syrup heated up while others, it's just room temp and if you wanted it heated, you would then have to ask for it or vice versa. Same way with the diced potatoes. Some places it was deep fried and others, lightly sauteed.

So, sometimes people in the US have problems understanding one another and you don't always have to live on the opposite sides of the coasts, it could just as easily happen from one state to the other on just one end of the coast or as some people might add, within your own state even.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:16 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
I live in Orlando itself, but on the East Side away from all of the tourest locations. I wish we had real fish and chips shops here but we don't. You can ,on occasion ,find good fish and chips on some restaurant menus though. You can find decent ones in a lot of places in New England
I stayed at the Reunion resort which was just to the south of Orlando.

I didn't see any chip shops and I really missed it.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:49 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
'coffee regular' here in the northeast is with cream and sugar. Coffee black is black. Light and sweet is more cream and two sugars.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:48 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Why should anybody moderate their accent? Do you ever change yours?

I don't change it, but I make a conscious effort to enunciate words correctly, to obviate being asked to repeat myself.
In addition, for the same reason, I'll use terms that the listener may be more familiar with, e.g. if I wanted some chocolate I'd ask if there was a candy store around here, NOT a sweet shop.
My wife asked me to get some cling film in a supermarket in Savannah Ga., I knew enough to ask for Saran Wrap instead.
I never use the word Tube for the Underground in London, so I just use subway naturally in New York, just as I'll say Le Metro in Paris.
I don't think I'd ever call a tap a faucet, unless I had a gun to my head, and I've had difficulty with water, wadder, wooder too.
One that no matter how hard I tried always seemed a toughie, was vodka.
I'd say it as voddka, and sometimes get a furrowed brow from the barman, so I'd try vahdka, if things still seemed difficult, I switched to Absolut, or Stoly, now I use them all the time, in the U.S. of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom