Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
You must have had some phenomenally bad luck or you visited here 20 years ago. There are some wonderful restaurants of all kinds in the UK these days.
LOL. I think you've got it right. When I first visited England, the only good restaurant food was Indian, or the odd pub lunch. Without exception we found the restaurants to be horrible, really horrible.I had a lasagna that was like soup…no kidding.

It's come a long, long way since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post
I feel good

In all of my travels, I haven't found a more delicious or satisfying start to the day than a full English breakfast and strong cup of tea yet.
I prefer the Dutch style breakfast of hard boiled eggs, different types of bread, jams, cheeses and sliced cold cuts with a beautiful intense cup of coffee.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:23 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
The Sandwich being the pinnacle of British culinary achievement for those too lazy to actually cook.
Huzzah to the memory of the card playing Earl! Supposedly the industrial revolution is responsible for the bad rap on English food. People were too busy to do proper cooking and the shortcuts arose.

I'd agree that that rap died decades ago. Heston's Fat Duck is one of the finest restaurants in the world. (so I am told)

I'll have the skate and chips and a cod egg please! A cask ale also. Yum! (seriously)

Old 06-25-2014, 12:35 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
British food is good in general, depends on what and where you eat. Everyone presumes its bland but over in the US I think that many people over spice foods to the point its pointless to eat.

Texas loves to boast of its Tex Mex, I cant think of an style thats more boring and one dimensional.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
British food is good in general, depends on what and where you eat. Everyone presumes its bland but over in the US I think that many people over spice foods to the point its pointless to eat.

Texas loves to boast of its Tex Mex, I cant think of an style thats more boring and one dimensional.
I guess you haven't had really good Tex Mex food then.

That being said, this Texan would get bored with any ONE cuisine day in and day out, which is why I am glad we have such diversity available locally. I live in a town of only about 100,000 and any day of the week I can have Tex Mex, Asian (a wide range of types of Asian), Middle Eastern, African, Greek, German, French, Italian (real Italian), Romanian, Central American...probably more but that's all I can lazily think of at the moment. That's enough to do me for awhile though!

Old 06-25-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I guess you haven't had really good Tex Mex food then.

That being said, this Texan would get bored with any ONE cuisine day in and day out, which is why I am glad we have such diversity available locally. I live in a town of only about 100,000 and any day of the week I can have Tex Mex, Asian (a wide range of types of Asian), Middle Eastern, African, Greek, German, French, Italian (real Italian), Romanian, Central American...probably more but that's all I can lazily think of at the moment. That's enough to do me for awhile though!
I have, I have had it all over the State. Its all the same one dimensional beany flavour. Its not a touch on New Mex food.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:00 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
I have, I have had it all over the State. Its all the same one dimensional beany flavour. Its not a touch on New Mex food.
I think that kind of proves Kathryn's point more than yours.

Good Tex-Mex should not have a one dimensional flavor, any more than Chinese, Indian, English, French, Italian, Japanese, Thai, etc. have a one dimensional flavor.

Problem is that most good restaurants (not "names" like Ramsey, or Blanc, or Pierre White, or Blumenthal but just good food) are difficult to know if you're not a local (or long term resident).

This applies to the UK too, for instance I'd bet my back teeth, most people who visit the UK and have a Full English, have had a Little Chef (or similar) full spread, which is about as high quality as you can have and not just throw it in the trash. So they're idea of English food is colored by that experience, the same issue happens all over the world (except in small places where there are no chains or franchises). It's that baseline that people often use to define a countries food reputation.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:26 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:

Obviously you haven't had chicken and spinach enchiladas, shrimp fajitas, or creamy poblano soup with roasted corn and smoked jalapeño sausage. Don't get me started on the quail.

Tex Mex originated when Mexican settlers started using the resources locally available to cook with. The food became spicier and cheese was added after american settlers brought it. Then in the forties or fifties that american bland cheese became available for free along with butter. ( butter and cheese program) You can find boring and terrible Tex Mex or lively and yummy Tex Mex. It's just like anything else.

http://www.homesicktexan.com/2009/01...-mex-stew.html
Mmmm carne guisada...

The only downfall of Tex Mex came when they stopped using lard.

British food can be excellent or terrible, just like any other cuisine. I have had great food there, with the occasional horrible meal.

Last edited by Meyerland; 06-25-2014 at 03:38 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 03:51 PM

Ive had all kinds, like I said the flavour is one dimensional to me.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:05 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Most white Americans that aren't "ethnic" (ancestors from Italy, Poland in the last 100-ish years) love British inspired food but don't realize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom