Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I despise Taco Bell. I literally cannot eat it - my body rejects it!

I gotta take exception on Sonic though. For a road trip, there's nothing much better than a BLT, tater tots, and a cherry limeade from Sonic!
I despise Taco Bell too, I can eat it but my body rejects it out the other end. Its Mexican food for gringo's, the blandest of the bland that still kills my stomach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 08:12 AM

586 posts, read 830,897 times
I'm eating a lot of British meals, not surprisingly as i'm living here at the moment, and on the whole it ranges from acceptable to wonderful. There is a wide variety of ingredients used for very simillar meals which adds a nice, subtle change. If you stick with seasonal foods and regional dishes the quality is on the whole very good and i'm yet to complain about the way something has been cooked.

What I have discovered though is that you don't get what you pay for with regards to quality, quantity and taste (this isn't a purely British observation of course). I've had some cheap café meals that have been excellent and some more expensive, out for dinner, meals that have been nothing special. Oh... and British motorway services are best avoided whilst Little Chef is surprisingly good.

My tip for quality food in Britain would be to find mid-priced café/restaurants in small town centres and sea fronts and also small pubs with full car parks on quite roads in the country. They survive by being good, if they weren't the locals wouldn't use them and they'd go under.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:31 AM

165 posts, read 189,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I despise Taco Bell. I literally cannot eat it - my body rejects it!

I gotta take exception on Sonic though. For a road trip, there's nothing much better than a BLT, tater tots, and a cherry limeade from Sonic!
Oh, Taco Bell is toxin in a to-go bag! I would have told the guy that ate there that he immediately needed to find a CVS or other drug store for 'help', but his post was a day old. Ditto for giving him the number to poison control. Lol Gees! 'Welcome to America. The doctor will be in here to see you shortly.'

Hopefully he didn't have a reaction to the food like us and many others, and is enjoying his vacation. I just can't for the life of me see how people can eat there.

I haven't tried the BLT at Sonic, I'll have to try that. I just can't eat at fast food places. Even in a pinch if I find myself in the middle of nowhere on a road trip, the little stores usually have little cans of baked beans or beanie-weenies, or peanut butter and bread. I prefer that over fast food.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
Oh, Taco Bell is toxin in a to-go bag! I would have told the guy that ate there that he immediately needed to find a CVS or other drug store for 'help', but his post was a day old. Ditto for giving him the number to poison control. Lol Gees! 'Welcome to America. The doctor will be in here to see you shortly.'

Hopefully he didn't have a reaction to the food like us and many others, and is enjoying his vacation. I just can't for the life of me see how people can eat there.

I haven't tried the BLT at Sonic, I'll have to try that. I just can't eat at fast food places. Even in a pinch if I find myself in the middle of nowhere on a road trip, the little stores usually have little cans of baked beans or beanie-weenies, or peanut butter and bread. I prefer that over fast food.
I'm not a big fast food fan myself. We just moved this past month, and it was one of those moves "across town" (actually 45 minutes away) that meant a lot of back and forth trips - and weird fast food. I gained five pounds even though I was working my tail off every day! I am so glad that I finally have my kitchen set up again and just went to the grocery store for all my "normal" (and readily available at reasonable prices) natural and organic foods so I can get this weight off me. I don't know how people stand to eat that crap all the time.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:08 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,156 times
Taco Bell is NOT Mexican food. I have to admit though, that when I joined the Marines and went to Virginia in 1989, I lived on Taco Bell. I had never had it before. Now I don't touch the stuff. I certainly never would have thought it was real Mexican food. I lived in San Diego for 16 years. I know real Mexican food.

I've never had Sonic's food, Just their half priced milk shakes. I really like 5 Guys Burgers and I was really surprised to see one opening in the West End in London

Old 06-30-2014, 11:17 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,420 times
Yeah, the perception of British food being bad in my mind is rubbish. I was surprised by the quality put out by many pubs. I do wish it was cheaper here though. In the US I ate out all the time. Here you really can't unless you're an MP. I would like more choice here in the South West too.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:15 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,671,787 times
I always assumed it gained that reputation from the American servicemen who were in Britain during WW2 - a few years of rationing tends to reduce the quality of the cuisine available at the time, but has no bearing on how good it is now.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:07 PM

165 posts, read 189,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Taco Bell is NOT Mexican food. I have to admit though, that when I joined the Marines and went to Virginia in 1989, I lived on Taco Bell. I had never had it before. Now I don't touch the stuff. I certainly never would have thought it was real Mexican food. I lived in San Diego for 16 years. I know real Mexican food.

I've never had Sonic's food, Just their half priced milk shakes. I really like 5 Guys Burgers and I was really surprised to see one opening in the West End in London
Yeah, we figured out it wasn't Mexican, that's the problem. They used to advertise that they were the best thing north of the border. You only needed to eat there one time to prove that wrong.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I have always liked traditional English (and Scottish) food. I think one reason it has a low reputation is due to a combination of British self-deprecation combined with the elevation of all things French. Combine that with the xenophilia of the 19th and 20th centuries bringing in wide acceptance of Indian, Chinese, Italian, and other exotic foods, and the British food paled in the popular perception.

Also, in many 'common man' eating establishments in the late 20th, the standards weren't very high, and Britain went through a similar decline in food preparation in the home (convenience foods) that America experienced. And both countries have done spectacular things to revive and elevate their cuisines since.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:22 AM

411 posts, read 416,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have always liked traditional English (and Scottish) food. I think one reason it has a low reputation is due to a combination of British self-deprecation combined with the elevation of all things French. Combine that with the xenophilia of the 19th and 20th centuries bringing in wide acceptance of Indian, Chinese, Italian, and other exotic foods, and the British food paled in the popular perception.

Also, in many 'common man' eating establishments in the late 20th, the standards weren't very high, and Britain went through a similar decline in food preparation in the home (convenience foods) that America experienced. And both countries have done spectacular things to revive and elevate their cuisines since.
I agree with you completely.

I watched a cooking show recently that was dedicated to traditional British produce and cuisine and was blown away by the variety as well as the
history. I lived in England as a kid and thoroughly enjoyed school dinners (although many others claimed not to). They were great days and I'm sure that for more than a few kids, that was the best meal that they got each day.

I don't know what they're like now but back then they were very hearty meals followed by "afters". Stew with dumplings, ploughmans lunches, semolina, jam roly-poly, cake and custard etc. If that's 'bad cuisine' then I must be a monkeys uncle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom