Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:59 PM

719 posts, read 987,578 times

Advertisements

... and always have been. Most of my family is of English ancestry, with some even coming over on the Mayflower, and the remainder arriving shortly before and after WWI.

One thing I've always wondered, however, is how do Brits feel about foreigners (and particularly Americans) infatuated with their country, monarchy and culture? Do you view this type of fondness in a negative light? Ironically, a century ago many of the most powerful members of the UK aristocracy dreamed of a kingdom reunified with the United States -- a kind of global Anglo super empire far exceeding even that seen at the height of Pax Britannica.

Yes, it's absurd, and I know that we've grown farther apart in the past century, but I still smile dreamily at the entire idea of reconciliation. Still, the question stands: are you bothered by Anglophiles? Even given -- in the case of Americans -- our shared history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 05:36 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
... and always have been. Most of my family is of English ancestry, with some even coming over on the Mayflower, and the remainder arriving shortly before and after WWI.

One thing I've always wondered, however, is how do Brits feel about foreigners (and particularly Americans) infatuated with their country, monarchy and culture? Do you view this type of fondness in a negative light? Ironically, a century ago many of the most powerful members of the UK aristocracy dreamed of a kingdom reunified with the United States -- a kind of global Anglo super empire far exceeding even that seen at the height of Pax Britannica.

Yes, it's absurd, and I know that we've grown farther apart in the past century, but I still smile dreamily at the entire idea of reconciliation. Still, the question stands: are you bothered by Anglophiles? Even given -- in the case of Americans -- our shared history?
To be honest I dont think reconciliation is needed I think that 'generally' the people of the US and the UK (and all the other Anglo nations) are pretty close already (despite the occasional bicker - which is a sign of a healthy friendship anyway).
I cant think of any reason why your fondness of the UK would be seen in a negative light by anybody? Despite the leg-pulling and occasional fall out lets be honest - I think the 'British' are pretty fond of you Americans too, and our Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, Irish, Jamaican etc 'cousins' as well.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:47 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Actually I disagree. I have visited America and they treated me the same as anyone else from any other heritage, they didn't make a fuss because I said I was from Ireland or even the UK.

I used to believe that Americans found the UK fascinating/interesting but after the last trip I would say that they find any other immigrant country just as fascinating. America isn't the same anymore, there is now a very large Spanish speaking population who are COMPLETELY different to you and me and who could CARE LESS about the UK. These people are born and bred in America so they are entitled to their opinion.. as they become more in number and the white population decreases the 'special relationship' will fade.

Not that i've lived there or anything.. but its not as close to us as you think. Its not like it used to be were it was all English immigrants. I definitely didn't get the same reception that I got in West Palm Beach anyway.

Either that or it was just because I visited Florida with loads of foreign people idk.

Last edited by Mac15; 08-07-2014 at 05:56 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post

I didn't see any evidence of this from my last visit.

Where do you live?

Old 08-07-2014, 07:05 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Actually I disagree. I have visited America and they treated me the same as anyone else from any other heritage, they didn't make a fuss because I said I was from Ireland or even the UK.

I used to believe that Americans found the UK fascinating/interesting but after the last trip I would say that they find any other immigrant country just as fascinating. America isn't the same anymore, there is now a very large Spanish speaking population who are COMPLETELY different to you and me and who could CARE LESS about the UK. These people are born and bred in America so they are entitled to their opinion.. as they become more in number and the white population decreases the 'special relationship' will fade.

Not that i've lived there or anything.. but its not as close to us as you think. Its not like it used to be were it was all English immigrants. I definitely didn't get the same reception that I got in West Palm Beach anyway.

Either that or it was just because I visited Florida with loads of foreign people idk.

Florida IS different. Especially South Florida.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:17 AM

Do you think?

I haven't really been anywhere else for a long period..

Old 08-07-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Do you think?

I haven't really been anywhere else for a long period..
There are certainly varients in culture here in the USA. So Florida has strong Latin American influence, which I like. But I don't think Latin Americans neccessarily feel the same cultural ties to the UK that much of the rest of USA do. They other fact ,is that Florida is FULL of Brits. There are very large expat communities here and next to Brazilians, they make up the largest tourist groups. People from the UK area dime a dozen here in Central and S Florida. It's just not that big of a deal to see UKers here.
That said, on my side of Orlando, 45 minutes from the parks, my British friends always get a bit of attention when they are here.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:31 AM

Are you sure?

I only seen loads of British people in the parks. To me Florida felt very Hispanic and it actually seemed like everywhere I went they were there in LARGE numbers. (like every 5th person)

Its like they have just had a massive influx into Florida. So maybe my experiences aren't true of America, i'm not really sure but they certainly made it clear that the UK is not what they are interested in.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Are you sure?

I only seen loads of British people in the parks. To me Florida felt very Hispanic and it actually seemed like everywhere I went they were there in LARGE numbers. (like every 5th person)

Its like they have just had a massive influx into Florida. So maybe my experiences aren't true of America, i'm not really sure but they certainly made it clear that the UK is not what they are interested in.
Yes. There is a very large hispanic population in Fl. Most of them are US citizens..

But there is a large British expat community here. Over 100,000 of the 800.000 British expats in America live here
10 Places Brits Love to Live in America | Mind The Gap | BBC America

There are so many Brits in Fl that they even have their own newspaper
The Florida Standard - Florida's Official British Expat Magazine

Old 08-07-2014, 12:31 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:

Quote:
Are you sure?

Why should people give you special treatment because you're from the UK? Much of the Hispanic population in the US are second or third generation and are as "American" as any other citizen - their loyalty is not your concern.

And yes, you're right about one thing, your experience in Florida is not a credible foundation to form opinions on the entire country. It would be like visiting Blackpool and forming an opinion on half of western Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom