Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:31 AM

10,199 posts, read 17,776,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chdennis View Post
Do any of you know how long it will take for the spouse visa to be approved? I don't want to wait terribly long. Could I speed the process up some how?
If you can go to a UK consulate in person, they will approve it the same day. Filing by mail takes months. At least this was the case when my British husband and I got married but that was 8 years ago. I lived in the Philly area so after our wedding in the US, we just went up to NYC and went to the consulate there. We had to make an appointment ahead of time though. Be sure to have all the necessary documentation or they will turn you away.

If you don't live anywhere near a British Consulate, perhaps you could take your "honeymoon" somewhere near one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 09:50 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,903,323 times
The process has greatly changed in recent years. No walk-ins. All application must be sent to:
International Operations and Visas
6 Millsands
Vulcan House
Sheffield
S3 8NH
United Kingdom

Old 09-10-2014, 10:31 AM

7 posts, read 11,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
If you can spare an additional $500 over and above the visa fee you can apply with the priority service: UK Visa Information - United States of America - User Pay Services
The key thing to avoid delays is to make sure you include every single document they want. Are you compiling your own application or are you using a professional immigration advisor?
I'm doing my own application, just through the UK government site.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:59 PM

OK, just be sure you understand what your sponsor (your fiance) needs to provide. A common mistake is to overlook appendix 2 which is vital.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:09 PM

825 posts, read 1,030,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
The process has greatly changed in recent years. No walk-ins. All application must be sent to:
International Operations and Visas
6 Millsands
Vulcan House
Sheffield
S3 8NH
United Kingdom
Ah OK, I had to mail my application to NYC, but that was for a tier 2. So spouse visas outside the US go to Sheffield by post?

Old 09-10-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If you can go to a UK consulate in person, they will approve it the same day. Filing by mail takes months. At least this was the case when my British husband and I got married but that was 8 years ago. I lived in the Philly area so after our wedding in the US, we just went up to NYC and went to the consulate there. We had to make an appointment ahead of time though. Be sure to have all the necessary documentation or they will turn you away.

If you don't live anywhere near a British Consulate, perhaps you could take your "honeymoon" somewhere near one.
Yes I'm afraid that has changed. It is all by mail now until you get into the UK. However the processing time tends to be much shorter now, depending on their backlog.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:10 AM

Yes, I should have said that all settlement visas go to Sheffield. The NYC consulate does the rest: work visas, student visas etc.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:28 AM

17 posts, read 26,292 times
I am American and married my husband who is a British citizen I have been living in the UK and had not problems.
You need to get married first and then contact UK Immigration with all relevant documents, married certificates everything you will be given an appointment the que is long wait however you will have to pay aproximately $500 it might have increased. You will be given a visa for 1 year before the year end apply for resident it does not take long a few weeks, then you will be give a visa will state ''LEAVE TO REMAIN IN THE UNITED KINGDOM FOR AN INDEFINATE PERIOD" this is what I have and been living here for 14 years, once you have this you can still keep your US citizenship I would also advise not to get a UK passport because if you decide in the future to move back to the US it would be difficult, you can come and go as you please. You will not be able to come on a travel visa you will have problems obtaing the right permission. So unfortunately your husband will have to come tback to UK without you. If you have anymore questions am happy to answer.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJ2121 View Post
I am American and married my husband who is a British citizen I have been living in the UK and had not problems.
You need to get married first and then contact UK Immigration with all relevant documents, married certificates everything you will be given an appointment the que is long wait however you will have to pay aproximately $500 it might have increased. You will be given a visa for 1 year before the year end apply for resident it does not take long a few weeks, then you will be give a visa will state ''LEAVE TO REMAIN IN THE UNITED KINGDOM FOR AN INDEFINATE PERIOD" this is what I have and been living here for 14 years, once you have this you can still keep your US citizenship I would also advise not to get a UK passport because if you decide in the future to move back to the US it would be difficult, you can come and go as you please. You will not be able to come on a travel visa you will have problems obtaing the right permission. So unfortunately your husband will have to come tback to UK without you. If you have anymore questions am happy to answer.
No this is wrong. The rules have changed. Spouse visas are over £700 and last 2.5 years. They must be renewed once then one can apply for ILR. You may not apply inside the uk while on a tourist visa. You may get a uk passport after citizenship (which you can get immediately after ILR) and still keep your us passport.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:08 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,069,237 times
Just go to the Police Station after your arrival and file for "residency for Communitarian consort".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom