Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Im a Brit living in
The UK 32 12.70%
Europe 0 0%
US 37 14.68%
Other 5 1.98%
Im not a Brit 178 70.63%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:48 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,030,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoMc View Post
Thanks for the Link. Hope your thinking about me when I'm having nightmares over that pic thats on their. lol
Then you'll be delighted to hear they are coming over here....

Little Britain USA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Little Britain to be made for US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 12:36 PM

52 posts, read 128,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
I have another question for our American friends. Do people say burglarized?

Here it's burgled and I suppose, thinking about it, that's technically no more sensible, but every time I've heard burglarized I just thought it was a random frivolous extension of the word, like sometimes happens.

Talking of frivolous extensions, here's one for brits: why does everyone say stylee now instead of style?? I know it's a pop culture thing but it's getting really pervasive. Weird.

My guilty habit is mixing tinterweb (Peter kaye) with intermaweb (Homer Simpson) so the former internet is now the snappily titled tintermaweb.
Yes we do. Or robbed! Depends on where you from or type of person you are. Also we use the terms jacked as in "being or been Jacked" if you from a big city, Rolled on or over, Nabbed, Jumped, or Kipped. Just matter of how they described it.

I don't know if you every herd of Ebononics or Ghetto terms.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
"Don't like it..."

(that'll make sense if you get to watch any of it.)
It was a joke. Look like some hillbillys.
I watch some skits on Youtube just now. Pretty funny. But can't find any of whole episodes. Their only like a 1 - 2 minute skits. so with that in mind
it's like Saturday night Live or Mad TV.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Cool, Glad to know!!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,223 times
Default Sounds like sarcasm to me.

The British on the whole are the great 'understaters' and that in and of itself is cool. So if others expecially of an emotional hot temperament are 'going overboard' about something the Brits would just knod and play everything down or very low key. So when something is 'Awsome!!!", its just plain old brilliant, if clever as in crafty, intellectual, like eureka! or great (said in a cool calm demeaner) if your a true blue Brit.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:34 PM

22 posts, read 76,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfortblue View Post
The British on the whole are the great 'understaters' and that in and of itself is cool. So if others expecially of an emotional hot temperament are 'going overboard' about something the Brits would just knod and play everything down or very low key. So when something is 'Awsome!!!", its just plain old brilliant, if clever as in crafty, intellectual, like eureka! or great (said in a cool calm demeaner) if your a true blue Brit.
hmmm you may be right there!!

Old 01-25-2008, 03:17 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,226,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfortblue View Post
True. Although the same trait of general understatedness/ reservedness will get you 'looks' for being loud on the tube/subway, in restaurants, on buses etc etc, which may not be such a well received trait.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:20 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
That looks quite interesting actually (god, the ultimate in reserved praise!!!) I'll keep an eye on that - thanks! These things tend to get shown back here as well don't they? I was watching the US version of the office the other day and it was OK. It was very different I thought, even though the characters are roughly the same.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:31 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoMc View Post
Yes we do. Or robbed! Depends on where you from or type of person you are. Also we use the terms jacked as in "being or been Jacked" if you from a big city, Rolled on or over, Nabbed, Jumped, or Kipped. Just matter of how they described it.
Thanks for those - not heard kipped at all! What about ways of telling people they're a bit mad, in a fairly friendly way? Here's a few of ours:

Bonkers
A nutter
A nut job
Barking (like that one)
Off your trolley (that that one too)

I can't think of any more for now...

Old 01-25-2008, 06:03 AM

22 posts, read 76,034 times
I think my favourite one is 'butty' meaning sandwich...havent a clue where its come from but i love saying it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom