Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Im a Brit living in
The UK 32 12.70%
Europe 0 0%
US 37 14.68%
Other 5 1.98%
Im not a Brit 178 70.63%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:39 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times

Advertisements

how is it possible for such a small country to have so many accents?

y'all have a gazillion of em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Ha, no not those boxers.

Do you all say "tally ho"? Or is that just something I made up?
Nah it's something posh people used to say years ago when hunting. Nor do we say "spiffing" or "what what", or "what ho" unless we're in a PG Wodehouse book.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 AM

119 posts, read 552,136 times
Default Lololol

You can imagine my confusion when I told my friend that I needed to get some money. She responded "Well, just go the "hole in the wall" around the corner". I left her flat, went around the corner and looked for something that looked like a hole in the wall. I figured she meant the convenience store (which are not particularly posh) in our area. No cash machine... but there was one on the outside of the bank a few doors down. Flustered, I told her that I did not think this bank was a hole in the wall and asked her what she expected a bank to look like! Talk about a language barrier!!

BTW, when you are an expat in the UK and you move back to America, you are considered bilingual. I was told this when we left for the UK, and now I see why!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:02 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times
who has it easier

an american/canadian in the uk, or the reverse?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
who has it easier

an american/canadian in the uk, or the reverse?
My guess is American/Canadian in UK since American entertainment media has familiarized pretty much the entire English-speaking world with American idioms and colloquialisms.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:48 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Nah it's something posh people used to say years ago when hunting. Nor do we say "spiffing" or "what what", or "what ho" unless we're in a PG Wodehouse book.
Ok, I'm taking notes so I don't say anything stupid over there. I'm scratching "tally ho" off my list.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:49 PM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Ok, I'm taking notes so I don't say anything stupid over there. I'm scratching "tally ho" off my list.
LOL - good plan! Try "Hiya - y'oraaiyt?" [translation: Hello, are you alright? aka Hello.] They'll think you're a native.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:53 PM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trionetriathlon View Post
You can imagine my confusion when I told my friend that I needed to get some money. She responded "Well, just go the "hole in the wall" around the corner". I left her flat, went around the corner and looked for something that looked like a hole in the wall. I figured she meant the convenience store (which are not particularly posh) in our area. No cash machine... but there was one on the outside of the bank a few doors down. Flustered, I told her that I did not think this bank was a hole in the wall and asked her what she expected a bank to look like! Talk about a language barrier!!

BTW, when you are an expat in the UK and you move back to America, you are considered bilingual. I was told this when we left for the UK, and now I see why!
Wow that really made me think! It's such a common phrase that I can't get my head around the idea that it's no universal! Wow! Hole in the wall = cash point... weird. Do you say cash point or is it something else there?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:51 PM

296 posts, read 1,283,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Wow that really made me think! It's such a common phrase that I can't get my head around the idea that it's no universal! Wow! Hole in the wall = cash point... weird. Do you say cash point or is it something else there?
Something else: ATM or "Cash Machine" A "hole in the wall" here is a small establishment of some type, retail or food/beverage, that is very small and/or hard to find. Often used with a positive assessment, i.e. "it's just a hole-in-the-wall, but surprisingly good."

Old 05-14-2008, 02:45 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwardGirl View Post
Something else: ATM or "Cash Machine" A "hole in the wall" here is a small establishment of some type, retail or food/beverage, that is very small and/or hard to find. Often used with a positive assessment, i.e. "it's just a hole-in-the-wall, but surprisingly good."
Thanks - thinking about it, I've heard food places referred to like that here as well actually, but you don't see them all that often. There used to be a great little pizza slice place in Leicester that sold them through a little window but then they closed. Pity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom