Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 12:42 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times

Advertisements

I certainly do not envy the Scottish people as they vote for what will change the course of history.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:52 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
tight numbers usually indicate a vote that will be more risk averse when all is said and done. As with Puerto Rico and Quebec, all the free welfare benefits will be hard to turn down. Even if the referendum squeaks by, it still remains more economically sensible to leverage the vote for an even sweeter deal rather than go through to independence. A 70-30 vote in favor of independence? that would be different as there would then be a consensus and the political will.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:53 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Its only two hours until voting stops.... so well know early in the morning ... Id like to thank all the people on here who took an interest in such a small country.. I never knew so many cared.. I pray we stay in the Union.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:54 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Nothing to do with the World Wars, let the people decide, a vote for Scots independence is a matter for them. If they wish to become independent accept it and move on, I'm sure all sides will accept the decision peacefully whatever the result.
not with NO banners and posters being smashed..if the YES vote wins it will be the saddest day for scotland..

Old 09-18-2014, 01:09 PM

554 posts, read 736,624 times
If Yes wins it'll be the greatest triumph of hope over fear, people over vested interests; that the UK has seen since the creation of the NHS. If it's a No vote, Scotland will be a profoundly dis-spirited place.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:17 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post
If Yes wins it'll be the greatest triumph of hope over fear, people over vested interests; that the UK has seen since the creation of the NHS. If it's a No vote, Scotland will be a profoundly dis-spirited place.
+1.
Scotland is like Norway, and I don't see why it can't succeed on its own. All the fear mongering tactics are pathetic.

Switzerland is a landlocked country with no resources, not part of the EU or Euro zone and it is doing exceptionally well.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:22 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
With 1 hour 39 minutes left to go, Twitter is getting punchy. Here are some of the funnier Tweets... Posted here to lighten the tensions!
@Hallimat writes: Scotland has changed its Facebook Status from "married" to "it's complicated."
@grim1011 writes: I bet Facebook buys Scotland. Changes "likes" to "ayes"
@Missbrownsrites said: Feel like we're about to lose Scotland down the back of the sofa
@heat_deadth writes: It's little known, but Scotland is actually very heavy and functions as a balance. Without it the English will all fall into the channel
@bileski007 writes: Scotland wants to unfollow England, because England doesn't Retweet or give Shoutouts, and only DMs America

Old 09-18-2014, 01:27 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Its only two hours until voting stops.... so well know early in the morning ... Id like to thank all the people on here who took an interest in such a small country.. I never knew so many cared.. I pray we stay in the Union.
Dizzybint - it's a small country, but a huge issue, for many of the reasons I posted earlier. We can't help but admire the spirit behind much of it, but worry about the long-term unintended consequences. Whatever the outcome is tomorrow, I hope the healing starts immediately and all directly involved get on with figuring out the best future for the citizens.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:37 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
If I read it correctly, live coverage begins in one hour here: Scottish independence referendum - Live - BBC News

Old 09-18-2014, 01:54 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post

Exactly, money always votes for union. If it was up to the money, the entire world would be a single country.

I'm not going to say that independence won't be difficult, and for a few chaotic years it might not seem worth it. But fast forward five, ten, or twenty years into the future. By then all the short-term chaos will have settled, and you'll have a country of your own. After ten years of independence I can guarantee that you would rarely find a Scot that wants to go back to the UK.

That isn't a condition unique to Scotland. It is the same everywhere. Once you have independence, why would you give it up? For riches? For power and glory?

Isn't basically the rallying cry of Scotland and for freedom-loving people around the world in your Declaration of Arbroath?

"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Why does it seem that Scotland is so easily bought off with riches and glory? And really, that seems to be the case regardless of which direction the vote goes.

I implore you to never vote for the purpose of enriching yourself. I would rather you always voted for what you knew in your heart was right.

Why are so many in Scotland so terrified of an independence that if you had it, you know you would never give up?

I wish more than anything that Scotland will choose hope over fear. But I feel almost certain that the timid will choose to stay in an unhappy marriage because they can't imagine anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom