Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 05:31 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeqGB View Post
A majority of the people of Northern Ireland favour a Border Poll when polled. However, most of the population of Northern Ireland at present want to stay in the UK.

A border poll would be disastrous for unionism, even if they won it, because it's a Pandora's Box situation.

More Catholics in Northern Ireland want a United Ireland than want to stay in the Union. There is no real enthusiasm for a United Ireland, but unification is still something they aspire to.

The support for unification has increased since the 2016 Brexit vote.

I don't think that's a universal opinion by any means, but the Republic could not afford Northern Ireland and does not want to deal with its problems. For the rest of the UK, it's mostly far enough away from them that they can ignore most of the things that go on there, although I take an interest as I support NI remaining in the UK.
a united ireland may be several decades away but it will eventually happen out of pure economic nescessity , brexit has brought forward the debate about it , of that there is no doubt , northern ireland needs trade with the irish republic too much to manage with a post brexit uk , for london , ulster is a region on the dole , a begger and increasingly one which cant be a chooser

economically going forward , a united ireland is a no brainer , unionists are a very industrious people , very straight in business , personally if you park the irrational ( incredibly dated ) attitude to catholicism which is pretty unimportant to most people in the south these days , the unionist population could bring an awful lot to a united ireland , id never vote SF as they are economic retards , id far quicker vote for someone like jeffrey donaldson for example , i know he is into his christian culture , ive no issue with that at all , i dont believe in eradicating traditional culture in favour of this new intolerant liberalism which is taking over , i do like the way unionist people are old fashioned and i especially like rural unionist farming folk , i grew up on a farm and visited ulster farming regions with my dad when he was alive , they are excellent farmers and very decent people but they are also the community in northern ireland who know best why trade with the south is vital , a very large amount of agri produce in northern ireland ends up being processed in the south , ulster farming would be in rag order were a hard border to go up

on a practical economic level , it makes no sense not to unite , i think it will happen , im forty this year and i could see it happen in my lifetime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 05:46 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
a united ireland may be several decades away but it will eventually happen out of pure economic nescessity , brexit has brought forward the debate about it , of that there is no doubt , northern ireland needs trade with the irish republic too much to manage with a post brexit uk , for london , ulster is a region on the dole , a begger and increasingly one which cant be a chooser

economically going forward , a united ireland is a no brainer , unionists are a very industrious people , very straight in business , personally if you park the irrational ( incredibly dated ) attitude to catholicism which is pretty unimportant to most people in the south these days , the unionist population could bring an awful lot to a united ireland , id never vote SF as they are economic retards , id far quicker vote for someone like jeffrey donaldson for example , i know he is into his christian culture , ive no issue with that at all , i dont believe in eradicating traditional culture in favour of this new intolerant liberalism which is taking over , i do like the way unionist people are old fashioned and i especially like rural unionist farming folk , i grew up on a farm and visited ulster farming regions with my dad when he was alive , they are excellent farmers and very decent people but they are also the community in northern ireland who know best why trade with the south is vital , a very large amount of agri produce in northern ireland ends up being processed in the south , ulster farming would be in rag order were a hard border to go up

on a practical economic level , it makes no sense not to unite , i think it will happen , im forty this year and i could see it happen in my lifetime

I think there's probably more chance of you learning what the Shift key on your keyboard is for than a united Ireland.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:53 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,588 times
Quote:

Late in December as the negotiations continued, Cahir Healy then got to what he saw as the nub of the problem...

'Last year we received by way of grants and subsidiaries from the Westminster Exchequer, almost 45 million and our imperial contribution was only 8 million. Would Dublin be able to subsidise us to the same extent, and at the same time bring up the social services to a like grade which she must do in a united Ireland? What would the financial position be? I do not want to publicise this too much as it reveals one of the hidden snags inherent in a united Ireland'. By August 1963 the talks had fizzled out.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:50 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Late in December as the negotiations continued, Cahir Healy then got to what he saw as the nub of the problem...

'Last year we received by way of grants and subsidiaries from the Westminster Exchequer, almost 45 million and our imperial contribution was only 8 million. Would Dublin be able to subsidise us to the same extent, and at the same time bring up the social services to a like grade which she must do in a united Ireland? What would the financial position be? I do not want to publicise this too much as it reveals one of the hidden snags inherent in a united Ireland'. By August 1963 the talks had fizzled out.
i see , so the 1963 situation is relevant , is that it

Old 08-01-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
i see , so the 1963 situation is relevant , is that it
Yes it is when taking into account what is needed. Its only a few years ago that Eire got financial help from the UK. If Eire wants to take on the monetary responsibilities at the same level as the UK has done then lets see them do it. Even most nationalists know when they are on to a good thing.

The point Cahir Healy was making is that he wasn't telling the people what to expect if they left the UK

Old 08-01-2017, 12:56 PM

The traditional nationalist interpretation, in the form in which it was expressed by writers such as Gallagher or statesmen such as de Valera, is now rarely found in the literature on Northern Ireland. Scarcely anyone who has put himself/herself to the discipline of writing in a scholarly manner on the problem now stands over the one-nation theory.

British economic aid to N.I. was by the mid 1980's calculated as amounting to around one-third of public expenditure in the region. True, there are some ground for disagreement about this figure; the Ulster-born economist Tom Wilson suggests that on certain assumptions it might be significantly reduced. But even if a lower figure is accepted the degree of aid is still massive, and but for it everyone in Northern Ireland, Catholic as well as Protestant would be much worse off.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Yes it is when taking into account what is needed. Its only a few years ago that Eire got financial help from the UK. If Eire wants to take on the monetary responsibilities at the same level as the UK has done then lets see them do it. Even most nationalists know when they are on to a good thing.

The point Cahir Healy was making is that he wasn't telling the people what to expect if they left the UK
I've mentioned it before but it's worth repeating.
Anyone who wants a stark reminder of the difference in wealth between the two parts of Ireland only has to drive on the main road between Dublin and Belfast.
The border is invisible but the standard of road surface,the way that verges and central reservations are tended,the quality of signage and just the amount of rubbish and crap left at the side of the road makes it very clear when you've passed from one country to another.
There's also the fact that an entire generation of young people haven't been forced to leave Northern Ireland for the rest of the UK,America and Australia to find work because their successive incompetent governments have trashed the economy.
And on a day to day basis if you want to see a doctor,get a prescription or go to hospital it doesn't cost you a fortune in the North.Actually it doesn't cost you anything.Try persuading the average Catholic in NI that they need to fork out thousands a year in basic health insurance like those in the south do to receive the same service for nothing.
The fact is Ireland has a Mickey Mouse economy with a population the size of Manchester - the idea that it could even run a united Ireland competently never mind afford it is laughable.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:35 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times
Quote:

Objectively I'm not sure how long Britain is going to be willing to subsidise Northern Ireland to such an extent. As I've noted previously in this thread it will be interesting to see what happens to Britain after Brexit. I don't think Ireland would subsidise Northern Ireland like Britain does. They would most likely want Northern Ireland to become more competitive and a better economy.

I find it interesting that the DUP are completely against NI getting special status with the EU while still being part of the UK. This would be of great benefit to NI but no they are too blinded by wanting to be just the same as the rest of the UK despite what a great deal this would be. NI appears to want to just live on handouts from the UK. The issue down the track is how long the rest of the UK is willing to subsidise them so some of their bullishness could come back and bite them in the bum. They don't have the objectivity or vision to see what is best for the people of NI but I don't know if anyone in Government there does. They are paranoid about anything to do with the rest of Ireland even though there would be no United Ireland without a majority of Northern Irish wanting this.

On a sidenote I just saw a fantastic movie about Northern Ireland call '71. Has anyone seen it? I thought it was brilliant and would highly recommend it.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:41 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I've mentioned it before but it's worth repeating.
Anyone who wants a stark reminder of the difference in wealth between the two parts of Ireland only has to drive on the main road between Dublin and Belfast.
The border is invisible but the standard of road surface,the way that verges and central reservations are tended,the quality of signage and just the amount of rubbish and crap left at the side of the road makes it very clear when you've passed from one country to another.
There's also the fact that an entire generation of young people haven't been forced to leave Northern Ireland for the rest of the UK,America and Australia to find work because their successive incompetent governments have trashed the economy.
And on a day to day basis if you want to see a doctor,get a prescription or go to hospital it doesn't cost you a fortune in the North.Actually it doesn't cost you anything.Try persuading the average Catholic in NI that they need to fork out thousands a year in basic health insurance like those in the south do to receive the same service for nothing.
The fact is Ireland has a Mickey Mouse economy with a population the size of Manchester - the idea that it could even run a united Ireland competently never mind afford it is laughable.
Not really expecting anything like objectivity from you Mr Roscoe Conkling. If you can say something negative about Ireland you will. You are very one sided in your opinions and very predictable.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Not really expecting anything like objectivity from you Mr Roscoe Conkling. If you can say something negative about Ireland you will. You are very one sided in your opinions and very predictable.
Yet you haven't pointed out where anything I have written is incorrect.
That's the problem with people wanting a united Ireland - the harsh reality of facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom