Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 08:34 AM

1,248 posts, read 558,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Britain is certainly leading Europe militarily with the highest per capita payment into NATO of any EU country.
Oh, Per capita is it?
Evidence?

Germany and France both contribute more overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 08:51 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,478,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Oh, Per capita is it?
Evidence?

Germany and France both contribute more overall.
I should,of course,have written percentage of GDP.Of which the UK,Greece,Poland and Estonia are the only European countries meeting the target agreed by NATO of 2%.
Germany manages only a measly 1.2% just slightly higher than that of Italy.
Still,we like to come to Europe's aid occasionally when everyone else has run up the white flag.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:06 AM

1,248 posts, read 558,038 times
Quote:
I should,of course,have written percentage of GDP.Of which the UK,Greece,Poland and Estonia are the only European countries meeting the target agreed by NATO of 2%.
Germany manages only a measly 1.2% just slightly higher than that of Italy.
Still,we like to come to Europe's aid occasionally when everyone else has run up the white flag.
Do you now?
Europe is facing challenges, instead of leading you're tucking tail and burrowing inside your shell, retreating.
That retreat is only ceding power to others.

Real leadership would be standing up to Merkel.
Surrounding yourself with allies and turn the hearts and minds of Europeans.

It means USA will lose influence in the heart of Europe.
Britain has withdrawn from her post WW2 geopolitical role within the West.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Do you now?
Europe is facing challenges, instead of leading you're tucking tail and burrowing inside your shell, retreating.
That retreat is only ceding power to others.

Real leadership would be standing up to Merkel.
Surrounding yourself with allies and turn the hearts and minds of Europeans.

It means USA will lose influence in the heart of Europe.
Britain has withdrawn from her post WW2 geopolitical role within the West.
Nice try but without Britain's contribution to NATO and the intelligence gathering of GCHQ Europe would be in a much more dangerous place.
Post-Brexit Britain will once again be free to pursue international trade deals commensurate with its standing as the 5/6th biggest economy in the world.
Despite what carping remoaners would have you think.It must be very depressing get up every morning with such a gloomy outlook on life.
Mind you if I was a political failure like Nick Clegg or Tiny Tim Farron I'd definitely be depressed.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:13 AM

16,151 posts, read 8,305,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
You are full of BS and I've tried very hard to give you the benefit of a doubt but you are incorrigible. You are just a bigoted individual and I really see no benefit in discussing with a person that has no shame in showing their prejudices. You give Brits a bad name so good job in that regard.

You are showing the type of condescending and bigoted attitude that some British have towards the Irish.
While I tend to agree, some people just see certain races/ethnic groups as beneath them. I know a guy who cannot stand red people. He feels they are the laziest, dumbest people on earth. Granted in the old west people hated Indians for their savagery, but in modern day America few hold any disdain/dislike for them. But this guy I know thinks of them as less than human and it comes across loud and clear. Yet he speaks of his prejudice as if he is talking about the weather, without the faintest sense of unease.

Quote:
Sorry if the truth hurts,old sport,but sometimes a bit of plain-speaking is much better than trying to decipher meaningless Paddywackery ramblings from a Shiney Seamus.
If you were to take your exact words and apply them to the black community, rest assured many would be screaming racism/bigotry.
That is what you fail to see or care about, because some Brits have no concern for displaying such open disdain for the Irish, but would be shamed into apology if it were bigotry about blacks.

Another point is that you seem to think people in different countries either do not have the right to speak up for the Irish, or that we are somehow envious of the them and secretly want to be counted as one of them.
I am a proud American, who has no desire to become an Irish citizen. However you see anyone empathizing with them as a plastic paddy.

I wonder if I empathize with you Brits over Brexit and agree you'll made the right decision (having nothing to do with the NI aspect), am I a plastic Limey ?

`

Old 02-21-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
While I tend to agree, some people just see certain races/ethnic groups as beneath them. I know a guy who cannot stand red people. He feels they are the laziest, dumbest people on earth. Granted in the old west people hated Indians for their savagery, but in modern day America few hold any disdain/dislike for them. But this guy I know thinks of them as less than human and it comes across loud and clear. Yet he speaks of his prejudice as if he is talking about the weather, without the faintest sense of unease.

If you were to take your exact words and apply them to the black community, rest assured many would be screaming racism/bigotry.
That is what you fail to see or care about, because some Brits have no concern for displaying such open disdain for the Irish, but would be shamed into apology if it were bigotry about blacks.

Another point is that you seem to think people in different countries either do not have the right to speak up for the Irish, or that we are somehow envious of the them and secretly want to be counted as one of them.
I am a proud American, who has no desire to become an Irish citizen. However you see anyone empathizing with them as a plastic paddy.

I wonder if I empathize with you Brits over Brexit and agree you'll made the right decision (having nothing to do with the NI aspect), am I a plastic Limey ?

`
But we both know a Plastic Paddy would never " empathise " with the Brits over anything.
That's why you're a Plastic Paddy.You believe in guff that was spouted several generations ago but no-one in Ireland that I know of repeats such gibberish.
Many of the PP posts on here reference historical events - like they bear any relevance to modern life on the island of Ireland.
You're welcome to your opinions on Ireland but as someone who actually lives here rather than visited once as a tourist you've got to be prepared for the occasional schooling on reality.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
But we both know a Plastic Paddy would never " empathise " with the Brits over anything.
That's why you're a Plastic Paddy.You believe in guff that was spouted several generations ago but no-one in Ireland that I know of repeats such gibberish.
Many of the PP posts on here reference historical events - like they bear any relevance to modern life on the island of Ireland.
You're welcome to your opinions on Ireland but as someone who actually lives here rather than visited once as a tourist you've got to be prepared for the occasional schooling on reality.
Your schooling as you put it has been wrong or biased opinion as much as you are correct. Residence does not substitute for unbiased analytical reasoning. Anyone, including what you call plastic paddies can be part time residents of Ireland or the UK for that matter.
That hardly qualifies them or you as experts on anything.
Also when you talk in absolutes and sweeping generalizations, people quickly realize your biased view is to be taken with a grain of salt.
Needless to say you are also welcome to your opinions, but don't delude yourself into thinking you are an authority on NI, the RoI or the Irish people.

BTW- I do think you Brits made a wise decision on Brexit. There are ramifications to it as is being discussed here about NI, But as a whole, you will regain your sovereignty compared with the EU had planned for you.

`

Old 02-22-2018, 03:46 AM

7,873 posts, read 10,222,291 times
Quote:
Your schooling as you put it has been wrong or biased opinion as much as you are correct. Residence does not substitute for unbiased analytical reasoning. Anyone, including what you call plastic paddies can be part time residents of Ireland or the UK for that matter.
That hardly qualifies them or you as experts on anything.
Also when you talk in absolutes and sweeping generalizations, people quickly realize your biased view is to be taken with a grain of salt.
Needless to say you are also welcome to your opinions, but don't delude yourself into thinking you are an authority on NI, the RoI or the Irish people.

BTW- I do think you Brits made a wise decision on Brexit. There are ramifications to it as is being discussed here about NI, But as a whole, you will regain your sovereignty compared with the EU had planned for you.

`
thee only thing that guy is an authority on is being a repetitive windbag

awaits smug deluded reply where everyone is reminded what the score really is ( in his own dull little mind )

the world according to roscoe

Old 02-22-2018, 05:40 AM

14,808 posts, read 11,874,969 times
Quote:
Good post.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Like we need 'forgiving', makes me laugh the 'hatred' spewed towards the British and yet we are supposed to be the bad guys f. off, I've noticed before that the British get the blame for just about everything bad in human history and now we are to blame for American slavery too! I suppose the apartheid in the US southern states are the fault of the British too? Or the shool gun massacres occurring across the US, I'm sure you could blame the British somehow for that one too no?
Quote:
My post was based on comparing how some Irish feel in the present day, vs. Americans having gotten over their negative feelings toward the British.
From a historical perspective yes, colonists endured a lot from the mother country as well as the benevolent task masters. Would you prefer modern day Americans to still hold a grudge about the past injustices

As to slavery in America, don't forget it was a British colony when slavery started. If Britain was not to blame for it starting over here, then whom would you assess that blame on?
I am still waiting for a reply to my above response, but will add the following in case I was not clear enough;

I do not hate the Brits, never have. There are some I have known/liked personally and respected different figures from your culture & history.
Still, that does not blind me to some of the historical atrocities that were perpetrated against the colonists, or other cultures/ethnic groups. What happened in India or Ireland are but two examples of how resentment and hatred were cultivated, by the likes of Dyer & Cromwell respectively.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom