Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 12:41 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Ireland should join NATO
I'm told the Irish Army is looking to acquire a tank but so far have been unable to find one manufactured with one forward gear and seventeen reverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 05:05 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
That is an interesting take on things, but then again many would defend the CoE despite the dubious reasons for it start.

Everyone takes soccer too seriously over there, whether it be the English hooligans burning down stadiums or those in NI with sectarian issues. See below response on what the DUP seems to be focused on instead of important issues in NI.

Pretty well thank you, though we have it better here across the pond than those in NI squabbling over "poaching NI football players" or cyber-bullying of the DUP gals.

It use to be that Paisley & McGuinness were fighting for scraps from the UK and conducting some serious negotiations on behalf of the people they represented.
Now with the two women at the helm, bickering, backbiting and seemingly emotional fluff is at the forefront of NI politics.

`
I don't think I've ever known 'English hooligans burning down stadiums'!? In fact your views on English football seems to rely heavily on 'stereotypes'. This isn't 1984 anymore.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't think I've ever known 'English hooligans burning down stadiums'!? In fact your views on English football seems to rely heavily on 'stereotypes'. This isn't 1984 anymore.
It is for him.
Time moves slowly in the Plastic Paddy pub.
Bejaysus and begorrah

Old 04-22-2018, 07:28 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Very good article here.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...oubles-what-if

Old 04-22-2018, 07:31 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
It is for him.
Time moves slowly in the Plastic Paddy pub.
Bejaysus and begorrah
I unwittingly repped your post. I think you're been very provocative here and I wonder what the Moderator is doing? Others have been pulled up for far less.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:23 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Irish dementia

they forget everything but the grudges.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:38 AM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I am self admitted no fan of soccer, but that alone is not what keeps me from understanding the rabid fanatics who display contempt for opposing fans, racism against other countries and players, etc.
Here in the states there are a few sports fan nutjobs, but not to the extent you'll have them.
I cannot think of another international sport that does, can you?
So I think your view is likely correct on me stereotyping soccer in general, but can acknowledge it is not all fans.

Also, it is just not English fans that I stereotype, as people and players have been killed over the sport. Wasn't the guy (I think Colombian) who accidentally kicked in a goal against his own team murdered for it?
I remember people predicting he would be killed, and I thought they were exaggerating, yet the guy was gunned down.

The irony of course is that the DUP seems to be focused on such trivial stuff like player poaching, rather than getting down to the business of getting the devolved government back up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I unwittingly repped your post. I think you're been very provocative here and I wonder what the Moderator is doing? Others have been pulled up for far less.
Bernie, we have been self moderating for years, and think the mods appreciate how things keep relatively calm considering the potential emotions that a subject like this can bring out.

So while Roscoe does have his flaws with communication skills, that is no reason to hope he gets slapped or canned. I certainly would not encourage anyone to report him as he is entitled to his view like the rest of us. Additionally we do not want to bother the mods over trivial stuff, lest our subject be jeopardized over too many complaints.
Some people are just more abrasive than others, and while Roscoe fits that description, he does on occasion make some points that contribute to the discussion.

In some ways it is amusing to see how he pushes a narrative about "plastic paddies" much harder now than in the past. I think he believes it gets under a few others skins, so he doubled and tripled down on it in recent months.
Needless to say it is directed mostly at us Yanks, Aussies, Canucks and others outside of Ireland. This is because he is a land baron in Ireland (and has an Irish wife), thus he is an expert on all things RoI, NI, and the Troubles.

`

Old 04-22-2018, 10:44 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Irish dementia

hahahahhaha

Old 04-22-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am self admitted no fan of soccer, but that alone is not what keeps me from understanding the rabid fanatics who display contempt for opposing fans, racism against other countries and players, etc.
Here in the states there are a few sports fan nutjobs, but not to the extent you'll have them.
I cannot think of another international sport that does, can you?
So I think your view is likely correct on me stereotyping soccer in general, but can acknowledge it is not all fans.

Also, it is just not English fans that I stereotype, as people and players have been killed over the sport. Wasn't the guy (I think Colombian) who accidentally kicked in a goal against his own team murdered for it?
I remember people predicting he would be killed, and I thought they were exaggerating, yet the guy was gunned down.

The irony of course is that the DUP seems to be focused on such trivial stuff like player poaching, rather than getting down to the business of getting the devolved government back up and running.

Bernie, we have been self moderating for years, and think the mods appreciate how things keep relatively calm considering the potential emotions that a subject like this can bring out.

So while Roscoe does have his flaws with communication skills, that is no reason to hope he gets slapped or canned. I certainly would not encourage anyone to report him as he is entitled to his view like the rest of us. Additionally we do not want to bother the mods over trivial stuff, lest our subject be jeopardized over too many complaints.
Some people are just more abrasive than others, and while Roscoe fits that description, he does on occasion make some points that contribute to the discussion.

In some ways it is amusing to see how he pushes a narrative about "plastic paddies" much harder now than in the past. I think he believes it gets under a few others skins, so he doubled and tripled down on it in recent months.
Needless to say it is directed mostly at us Yanks, Aussies, Canucks and others outside of Ireland. This is because he is a land baron in Ireland (and has an Irish wife), thus he is an expert on all things RoI, NI, and the Troubles.

`

It's only the Yanks,trust me.
No other nationality visiting Ireland ever get christened Plastic Paddies.
Spring has sprung in the last couple of weeks so we've seen the early arrivals - they always confidently order a pint of Guinness but really struggle to finish it.
It's free cabaret to us locals.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Irish dementia

Spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom