Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 03:07 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,060 times

Advertisements

Its coming up to the big day and I know Vector,Bernie and their friends will be wishing us well

User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 06:53 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
I'm not going to give an opinion with regard to the subject of Irish reunification since it's none of my business , but I'd like to jot down a thing or two about Plastic Paddy support for the IRA , since it is relevant to my standing as an American . Not to mention that ( above all ) it might prove to be informative to the audience at large out there .

At any rate while it's certainly true that there are Plastic Paddy types ( such as Mickey Rourke ) who are vocal in their support of the IRA , the fact of the matter is that support for the IRA in the States has never mainly come from the true blue Plastic Paddy community . Especially hardcore and long lasting support .

As many participants of this thread know , the absolute Stateside strongholds of IRA support were neighborhoods such as South Boston , which during the Troubles were home to large numbers of Irish Catholic expats and their first/second generation descendants . In short support for the IRA has always been much more of a ( for lack of a better word ) bigoted first/second generation Irish Catholic thing in the States , as opposed to a " My family has been here since the Famine , yet I still say up the RA " affair .

In fact I'm willing to bet that most present day Irish Americans under 30 have either never heard of the IRA or think it's some sort of bank account their elders like to chat about .
The long simmering hatred the Irish have for the English/British certainly has it's roots in a long past history of atrocities committed against them. It does not take much to bring it to the surface, such as Thatcher's comment about needing a Cromwellian solution to NI.
Yet many a Brit cannot understand it, or wants to dismiss it out of hand. It reminds me of how colonial Britain had a long history (which while considered acceptable at the time) of conquering/subjugating people in foreign lands.
Then when they objected or fought back, they were considered terrorists.
While some claim it is stirring up the past, if the exiting distrust or dislike of modern day British people in NI stems from those old wounds, it must be addressed before real and lasting progress can be made.

As to how the aforementioned applies to American support for the IRA (or even support for a united Ireland via peaceful means), some that I have discussed it with feel the pain of their parents/grandparents who lived under the boot of the British state.
It is little different than Jews who hate Germans to this day, and will never buy a German product. Most will not blame those who feel that way, and seem to empathize on some level. Yet if some Irish feel the same way about Britain, it is dismissed by the Rocsoe's of the world, as "plastic paddys".

My Godfather (God rest his soul) hated the Japanese because he served in WWII and knew of the horrible atrocities they perpetrated against many nations/races of people (the Chinese are not to fond of Imperial Japan).
He would not have been able to get along in modern times, because he refused to buy any Japanese products, whether it be cars, watches and the like. If he were alive today, he probably would still have an old Zenith TV or not watch at all. Would that make him a plastic yank to some Japanese?

As to your point about Irish bars in Boston, yes that city is by far the epicenter of Irish immigrants and their descendants in America.
But if you go into the average Irish bar across America, few would have any clue what an Irish Republican was, or even care to know.
Your comment about a financial connection to the ira is spot on.
However, as you allude to, some celebrities support the IRA and/or the cause of Irish freedom, and even some elected officials like Peter King of New York or Mayor Bill de Blasio seem to be sympathetic to the Irish cause.
The movie "The Devil's Own" touched upon this subject, and had the Brits in an uproar over it. Many attacked Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt for even agreeing to star in it.

BTW - For some reason de Blasio declared this years St. Patrick's Day, as officially Gerry Adams Day.

I have run out of time for the moment, but do you have a view as to how legitimate the support among those who you mentioned is for the GFA?

`

Old 07-09-2018, 06:58 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
well, deblasio is doing his best to bring back the 70s and 80s sewerpit to nyc

Old 07-09-2018, 07:53 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You could always read the comments yourself before passing judgement on them.
It's generally the sign of a person with an open and inquiring mind.
I have a much more open mind than yourself. I'm not a bigot for starters and don't denigrate people because of their nationality but you posted the article to show "Irish racism in full flow" which is laughable. The article should stand for itself. It's obviously a "tongue-in-cheek" piece. I don't go on FB often and anyway the article itself is the focus of the discussion. Did you even read it?

Old 07-10-2018, 04:15 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
i always shout for england in soccer but never in rugby

whoever wins in the england v croatia game , i will cheer on in the final , i dont care for belguim or france , i dont think on paper england are that great however , on this occasion they are greater than the sum of their parts , in other world cups it was the opposite , plenty of stars but no cohesion

Old 07-10-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

whoever wins in the england v croatia game , i will cheer on in the final , i dont care for belguim or france , i dont think on paper england are that great however , on this occasion they are greater than the sum of their parts , in other world cups it was the opposite , plenty of stars but no cohesion
I'm supporting England as well. I'm pleased they are doing so well.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:17 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I'm supporting England as well. I'm pleased they are doing so well.
I used to shout for the Irish team when Jack Charlton was the manager of the Republic of Ireland. It's about supporting the underdog. I think it is a trait we all have in these islands.

England are not a great football side, but they have heart, and are playing as a team. They should beat Croatia tomorrow. The real challenge, if that's the case, will be the final. I hope they can raise themselves for two more games.

If they can win it, they will go down in English sporting history. I saw on the news this lunchtime, that the remaining members of the 1966 team have been invited to go to the final, if we make it. If they do decide to go, that will be one emotional day. For those kids to meet those old men, who they will have heard of from childhood, could be a massive boost to their desire to win, and determination to do so.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:00 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Its coming up to the big day and I know Vector,Bernie and their friends will be wishing us well

User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Well I cannot speak for anyone else, but I at least wish you safety during your festivities/marches/fires.

I don't understand the link to the photo site, as it does not seem to have any relevant content. Am I missing something?

Old 07-11-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I used to shout for the Irish team when Jack Charlton was the manager of the Republic of Ireland. It's about supporting the underdog. I think it is a trait we all have in these islands.

England are not a great football side, but they have heart, and are playing as a team. They should beat Croatia tomorrow. The real challenge, if that's the case, will be the final. I hope they can raise themselves for two more games.

If they can win it, they will go down in English sporting history. I saw on the news this lunchtime, that the remaining members of the 1966 team have been invited to go to the final, if we make it. If they do decide to go, that will be one emotional day. For those kids to meet those old men, who they will have heard of from childhood, could be a massive boost to their desire to win, and determination to do so.
Exciting times for the team and fans English Dave. I would be thrilled if England beat Croatia. Don't want to say anything more as I don't want to summon the mocker Gods.

Keeping my fingers crossed for tonight.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:40 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well I cannot speak for anyone else, but I at least wish you safety during your festivities/marches/fires.

I don't understand the link to the photo site, as it does not seem to have any relevant content. Am I missing something?
Thanks for your words re my safety. Ach, it's just a video and song about the 12th of July parades. Thought to add a bit of levity to the thread but the 'troubles' are never far away.

Fountain estate attacked with petrol bombs. Unrest in the Bogside with police being attacked. Old people's hostel attacked. Shots were fired at the police last night. Also last night a woman's car was burned and gutted because she had the Union Flag on her property. She was in her sixties and lived alone.

So there are still those who wish to keep the pot boiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom