Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 02:12 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Some very frankly truthful information there Ulsterman about the bias towards Protestants who also lived in older small homes from the other side. Will also remind that when one thinks back seeing riots and violence from RC nationalist areas they were estates with very modern houses! So they were not kept back from getting modernised and improved in their living. One town I know well in County Armagh was one my family had distant relations from my grandmother's side. It has a very modern housing development on the north side of the rail station and crossing that is very attractive. However also the base for violence and intimidation. And as expected SF/IRA territory.

So true rjhowie. The Catholic Falls Road was a place I envied when a young teenager as they had great facilities especially Falls Park as it had a big outdoor swimming pool, a bowling green and tennis courts. They also had Gaelic pitches and football pitches. Further down the road they had an indoor swimming pool plus another couple of parks. A library and of course the RVH hospital. The nearest swimming pool to us was near the city centre.

There was also 4 cinemas in the Falls Rd area.

Yes, the housing estates Catholics lived in had mod cons. The Creggan estate in Londonderry is just one of them. Protestants living in Londonderry had nothing like that. Two up and two down with an outside lavvy and just a cold running water tap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 01:24 PM

16,536 posts, read 8,579,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i cant imagine anything but a minority of brexiteers ( the rees moggs and john redwoods of this world ) will be willing to accept a watered down brexit as a price to pay for ulster remaining in lock step with the rest of the uk when it comes to customs union etc .

most who voted for brexit are indifferent to the long term situation in northern ireland .

brexit has indeed forced the question , just how much do tories love ulster ?
Aren't the current Torries beholden to the DUP for their support of May?

`

Old 10-15-2018, 04:04 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Aren't the current Torries beholden to the DUP for their support of May?

`
a temporary little arrangement as they might say .

Old 10-15-2018, 05:58 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,094 times
Well reminded Ulsterman. Too many overr here on the mainland did not know the honest situation and seemed to ignore the riots and trouble years ago shown on television amongst all those modern houses! The propaganda that was broadcast was terrible and I felt sad when the B Specials were scrubbed as had a distant relation in them and the shameful disbanding of the RUC. I loved holidays over there initially with my parents and brothers travelling on the gone Burns Laird Line usually on the Scotsman or Ulsterman. As an adult i kept the semi-regular breaks and for 18 trips took a uniformed boys organisation over there each summer for camp. They loved the place and I still dashed well do. Discovered an interest in railway simulators and have built the whole of the NIR (took two years and have a site!).

Ulster is part of Britain and will stay that way no matter what that extremis group SF get digs at. Now must get round to a break from Glasgow and get over here again soon for a late year wee break based in Belfast but moving about in a great part of our kingdom.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Well reminded Ulsterman. Too many overr here on the mainland did not know the honest situation and seemed to ignore the riots and trouble years ago shown on television amongst all those modern houses! The propaganda that was broadcast was terrible and I felt sad when the B Specials were scrubbed as had a distant relation in them and the shameful disbanding of the RUC. I loved holidays over there initially with my parents and brothers travelling on the gone Burns Laird Line usually on the Scotsman or Ulsterman. As an adult i kept the semi-regular breaks and for 18 trips took a uniformed boys organisation over there each summer for camp. They loved the place and I still dashed well do. Discovered an interest in railway simulators and have built the whole of the NIR (took two years and have a site!).

Ulster is part of Britain and will stay that way no matter what that extremis group SF get digs at. Now must get round to a break from Glasgow and get over here again soon for a late year wee break based in Belfast but moving about in a great part of our kingdom.

You think disbanding the RUC was a bad thing?
You harken back for the days of old with the B Specials?
You call SF extremist when they were instrumental in bringing about peace to NI via the GFA?

It sounds like you are harder core than Ulsterman.

BTW - Many feel as if the PSNI is nothing more than the RUC is sheeps clothing. At least they make more of an effort to recruit Catholics these days.

`

Old 10-16-2018, 09:06 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,279 times
Quote:

You call SF extremist when they were instrumental in bringing about peace to NI via the GFA?

BTW - Many feel as if the PSNI is nothing more than the RUC is sheeps clothing. At least they make more of an effort to recruit Catholics these days.

`

what i think of whenever i read howies posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK21p8NEL8Y

Old 10-16-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Well rj you have been over here and have an understanding of how things were. Yes, there were many housing estates built during the time of Unionist rule. Their building programme was far better than Eire or England managed. The Creggan estate (among others ) was built in the 1950s and there are pics showing these houses. Some later photos show the IRA with their guns and these houses in the background.

As one Irish writer said the B Specials were the rock on which the IRA always floundered...so they would have to be got rid off...and they were. There was a time when local Catholics helped B Special men whose homes had been attacked and set on fire by the IRA.

Yes and it worked the other way here. We went to Scotland for our 'camp' though we usually stayed in schools. I remember Largs and Edinburgh as two places we went to. We stayed in a school in Sciennes road ( probably wrong spelling). We also stayed in Stevenson. Aye happy days and happy memories.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:

`

And of course you are not hard core . At the formation of BU there was a third of places in the RUC reserved for Catholics but it was never taken up completely. Those Catholics who did join were given a hard time by their co-religionists and many left. But even in the more recent 'troubles' there were still some Catholics who were brave enough to join and they paid with their lives. Murdered by the IRA.

It was the same with the UDR when it was formed. The first two to join were a Catholic and a Protestant but that didn't last long as a young Catholic who was in the UDR was murdered in front of his wife and children and so other Catholics left after this. But again there were some who refused to be intimated and continued on in the UDR.

Yes SF are extremist. They were and are the political wing of the IRA. So I suppose in a way you are right. We have to say thank you for not killing us anymore.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:12 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,094 times
What world did you come from in outer space Vector1??

We have to thank the GFA for their graciousness ? For goodness sake they were hardly very innocent when it came to politics and keeping certain parts of society at a damn distance. Head shaking nonsense as if they were totally innocents because of their sports association. They banned folk.

The point Ulsterman made about allocation of RC's in the RUC was CORRECT but that part of society instead of taking up an opportunity did the very opposite and I still stand by what I said at the British Government did a disgrace about that long standing police force who were officially recognised for years as being outstanding and given honour. Heavens Dr Goebells would hve given you a job decades ago, ha,ha!

When I took annual camps over to Ulster (long time at Castlerock) the two local RUC policemen were brilliant and the same regarding our two Sunday church parades. That organisation has a motto - sure & stedfast and a good descrption of the former police!

Old 10-17-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
And of course you are not hard core . At the formation of BU there was a third of places in the RUC reserved for Catholics but it was never taken up completely. Those Catholics who did join were given a hard time by their co-religionists and many left. But even in the more recent 'troubles' there were still some Catholics who were brave enough to join and they paid with their lives. Murdered by the IRA.

It was the same with the UDR when it was formed. The first two to join were a Catholic and a Protestant but that didn't last long as a young Catholic who was in the UDR was murdered in front of his wife and children and so other Catholics left after this. But again there were some who refused to be intimated and continued on in the UDR.

Yes SF are extremist. They were and are the political wing of the IRA. So I suppose in a way you are right. We have to say thank you for not killing us anymore.

Newsflash for you. The IRA disbanded some time ago, or didn't you hear.

Of course I am not hardcore, but you are so focused on us vs. them, you cannot see the forest for the trees.

I imagine hardcore Republicans would be saying all Brits deserve to be removed from Ireland, whether it be voluntarily, or by force. They would justify shootings, bombings and the like to "end British rule and occupation of NI".
They would oppose the ballot in place of the bullet and think the GFA is a capitulation of Ireland to the British.
I imagine you could throw in a few 26+6=1 and Tiocfaidh ar la's by someone who supports the Real IRA or other splinter groups intent on keeping the terror alive and well.

So just because I lean with more sympathy toward the Irish for the centuries of mistreatment and abuse at the hands of the English/British, does not make me hardcore. If anything I am trying to learn and understand your side of the issues more. That should be self evident if not for your apparent "you are either with us, or against us mentality".
Maybe you have been conditioned to live that way, but when people try to understand/empathize with your position (even if they do not agree with you), that hardly makes them hardcore.

So for you or others to want to diminish SF's attempts at a peaceful resolution, and still call them the IRA (as if they are still around creating mayhem), it shows you are living in the past.
That is a large problem with many of the people (on both sides) in NI because they cannot let go of the past, even when obvious olive branches are being extended in either direction.

If a hardcore blowhard like Paisley can see his way past the hatred, bigotry and prejudice toward Catholics, and SF & Co, you'd think your average Brit in NI could as well.
The real question is, are you prepared to do so, or not?

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom