Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 04:43 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Newsflash for you. The IRA disbanded some time ago, or didn't you hear.
You'd get a hollow laugh if you passed that comment in a Belfast pub today ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 10:52 AM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You'd get a hollow laugh if you passed that comment in a Belfast pub today ....
I can't imagine why, as most of the Provos followed Adams & McGuinness's lead. Additionally they gave up their weapons as well, when many skeptics proclaimed they never would (I can you picture being one of those).

Does this mean there are not dissidents that were once IRA members?
Of course not, as some are vocal about their opposition to what SF has done. Heck some of them probably would take out Adams or other SF'ers if given the opportunity.

As I have said, I don't expect you, Ulsterman or others to invite Adams over for a spot of tea. However, no matter how grudgingly, you must give credit for SF doing their part to make the GFA become a reality. Without them and the DUP, the GFA would not have been a success. It obviously would not have taken much to throw a monkey wrench into the machinery.

`

Old 10-17-2018, 01:47 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I can't imagine why, as most of the Provos followed Adams & McGuinness's lead. Additionally they gave up their weapons as well, when many skeptics proclaimed they never would (I can you picture being one of those).

Does this mean there are not dissidents that were once IRA members?
Of course not, as some are vocal about their opposition to what SF has done. Heck some of them probably would take out Adams or other SF'ers if given the opportunity.

As I have said, I don't expect you, Ulsterman or others to invite Adams over for a spot of tea. However, no matter how grudgingly, you must give credit for SF doing their part to make the GFA become a reality. Without them and the DUP, the GFA would not have been a success. It obviously would not have taken much to throw a monkey wrench into the machinery.

`

You must be naive to think that Adams and his cronies gave up ALL their weapons. Was it Morrison who talked of going forward with an Armalite in one hand and a ballot box in the other. That's still the case today. Adams and his gang are playing it that way. They are using the ballot box while dissidents are continuing with the 'Armalite'. If the PIRA wished I'm sure they could deal with these dissident groups.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:47 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,354 times
You can hint about others being bias Vector1 or simply ignore factuals.

As for Paisley did he not become chatty pals with one of your pals (who was aa gunman in Londonderry and elsewhere before sharing power with Ian Paisley. And as for the general guff about history in Ireland may i remind your limited knowledge situation who evil and vindictive many Irish were towards the minority of the Protestant population over the centuries. In the mid-17th century the massacres were shocking and one at Portadown seen large numbers of men and women slaughtered and dumped in the river. Very Christian that was. In the big rebellion carrying black flags with white initials "MWS." That was to signify murder without sin. But then that was okay as those done in were not Popish so that was perfectly okay. They were ably helped by their Church which was as corrupt as it still is today. At the famous Battle of the Boyne King William showed graciousness to the defeated which would not have happened had it been the other way round.

You have a very limited nationalistic head and if holiday say in Belfast get digs on Falls Road where you will feel very content and not have to try and show off intelligence! Duh.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:18 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,895 times
Yes, Protestants on the island have always been a small minority and have suffered terribly over the years from the 1641 massacres and afterwards. The miracle is that they still have a presence on the island.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:43 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
You can hint about others being bias Vector1 or simply ignore factuals.

As for Paisley did he not become chatty pals with one of your pals (who was aa gunman in Londonderry and elsewhere before sharing power with Ian Paisley. And as for the general guff about history in Ireland may i remind your limited knowledge situation who evil and vindictive many Irish were towards the minority of the Protestant population over the centuries. In the mid-17th century the massacres were shocking and one at Portadown seen large numbers of men and women slaughtered and dumped in the river. Very Christian that was. In the big rebellion carrying black flags with white initials "MWS." That was to signify murder without sin. But then that was okay as those done in were not Popish so that was perfectly okay. They were ably helped by their Church which was as corrupt as it still is today. At the famous Battle of the Boyne King William showed graciousness to the defeated which would not have happened had it been the other way round.

You have a very limited nationalistic head and if holiday say in Belfast get digs on Falls Road where you will feel very content and not have to try and show off intelligence! Duh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bo3FHEKX2g

Old 10-17-2018, 05:27 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,354 times
Passing satire distraction!

Old 10-17-2018, 11:07 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
You must be naive to think that Adams and his cronies gave up ALL their weapons. Was it Morrison who talked of going forward with an Armalite in one hand and a ballot box in the other. That's still the case today. Adams and his gang are playing it that way. They are using the ballot box while dissidents are continuing with the 'Armalite'. If the PIRA wished I'm sure they could deal with these dissident groups.
Well in a previous post you sarcastically said something akin to "we should thank them for not killing us anymore", correct?
The obvious answer is no, since everyone has a God given right to live freely. That said, would you and those with your thought process wish to return to the days of an active PIRA, when the so called "Troubles" were going on?

I find it hard to believe I am actually typing this, but it almost seems as if many have forgotten how bad things were prior to the GFA.
It is like some have a revisionist view, wanting to think things are not much better today compared with 18 years ago, when Adams & Co decided to find a peaceful path toward a less violent future in NI.
Or is that what is actually sticking in your craw, that it was Adams & Co who helped bring about peace in NI?

On a side note, I included in my previous post the DUP as being helpful bringing about the GFA, which was a mistake, as I remember they were the only major party opposed to it. Heck even the hardcore Loyalists in PUP were for the GFA.
However Paisley & Co did deserve credit for eventually coming around and working with SF to shepherd power sharing at Stormont.
I don't imagine you, rjhowe or Roscoe fancy yourselves harder core than Paisley was, but maybe I have misjudged you guys

Old 10-18-2018, 07:16 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Passing satire distraction!
But you do parody so well.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:10 AM

724 posts, read 503,332 times
I hope I'm not disrupting the flow of discussion by posting this , but I actually saw two movies the other day that cast non plastic paddy Irish ( for lack of a better term ) Irish Republicans in a rather negative light .

The two flicks I'm referring to are The Foreigner and Fifty Dead Men Walking . The former would have been a rather decent ( by Hollywood standards at least ) political thriller if they had only left out the usual Jackie Chan style action and the latter is rather good all around though ( allegedly ) not the most historically accurate . All in all I'd recommend both films to those who would like to see non rose tinted spectacles/wearily soul searching portrayals of Irish Republicans in film .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom