Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 11:39 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Yes the constitutional claim was indeed removed and thoughtful of you to acknowledge it, not sure the Catholic Church ever had much role in Irish Republicanism, they opposed 1916 uprising and were opposed to SF all along due to the Marxist doctrine.

Might have been mentioned before but there were some priests involved in the movement of and procuring of guns and timers. There was also the priest who was believed to be behind the bombing of Claudy but was spirited away to Donegal.

I agree not all priests were involved but there was some and that has always been the case from 1641 to 1798 and even to more recent times.

However, its only fair to say that there were a few priests and their flock who supported the link with England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 01:46 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Might have been mentioned before but there were some priests involved in the movement of and procuring of guns and timers. There was also the priest who was believed to be behind the bombing of Claudy but was spirited away to Donegal.

I agree not all priests were involved but there was some and that has always been the case from 1641 to 1798 and even to more recent times.

However, its only fair to say that there were a few priests and their flock who supported the link with England.
Undoubtedly there were priests who were involved in violence but the RC hierarchy never had any truck with Irish republicanism, I'm not defending them, the church were more into the home rule movement circa early 1900,s and the Vatican itself would be completely indifferent for the most part.

The church as an institution were always anti Marxist.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Well I was relating to ancient times. Some people believe that the island should be one and also believe that this was always like case...that the people lived in harmony. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Pearse was being arrogant when he read out his Proclamation claiming to speak for the whole island. He never asked our people in Ulster about this. Indeed I reckon there were some in the other provinces who did not agree with what he had done. Of course the executions helped to bring people onto his side and the 'blood sacrifice' ( liking himself to Christ ) was achieved.

I don't regard all people in the south as enemies. There have been some brave Irishmen who have spoke out and told of how things really were. One of these was a former republican gunman of the old days.
Pearse was a very strange man indeed, John redmond was a failure due to 1916 but had Bonar law not won the day, its likely the UK parliament would have supported the redmond cause, he was a respected MP for years.

He was of course loathed by both Irish Republicans and ulster unionists but no one could accuse him of not being a democrat, 1916 rendered his entire career almost meaningless now but ulster loyalists scuppered his plans pre ww1 too.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Pearse was a very strange man indeed, John redmond was a failure due to 1916 but had Bonar law not won the day, its likely the UK parliament would have supported the redmond cause, he was a respected MP for years.

He was of course loathed by both Irish Republicans and ulster unionists but no one could accuse him of not being a democrat, 1916 rendered his entire career almost meaningless now but ulster loyalists scuppered his plans pre ww1 too.

Pearse from what I have read believed in a blood sacrifice. Didn't he make some reference to the fields of Europe being bathed in blood. Maybe it was because he had an English father that he had to show his Irishness so much. Then of course there was that poem he wrote about or to a boy. Maybe nothing in it but it still makes you wonder. Also apparently he wished to be remembered like Setanta was and they say that's why the statue to Setanta is in Dublin despite the fact that he was from Ulster and a defender of Ulster. In Bloody Protest is about Pearse.

I do not know a lot about John Redmond but for me it showed that the Irish people then and even recently here will always move towards the more extreme movement. Knowing this it did not surprise me when they voted Sinn Fein into power and deserted the SDLP. They did the same with Redmond.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Pearse from what I have read believed in a blood sacrifice. Didn't he make some reference to the fields of Europe being bathed in blood. Maybe it was because he had an English father that he had to show his Irishness so much. Then of course there was that poem he wrote about or to a boy. Maybe nothing in it but it still makes you wonder. Also apparently he wished to be remembered like Setanta was and they say that's why the statue to Setanta is in Dublin despite the fact that he was from Ulster and a defender of Ulster. In Bloody Protest is about Pearse.

I do not know a lot about John Redmond but for me it showed that the Irish people then and even recently here will always move towards the more extreme movement. Knowing this it did not surprise me when they voted Sinn Fein into power and deserted the SDLP. They did the same with Redmond.
Redmond inspired a fairly extreme reaction in ulster unionists, the ulster covenant pledge was as a direct result of the Redmond home rule movement which was decades old but which looked like making it through British parliament in the final years prior to WW1 , no matter what way you look at it, there was a pre emptive promise of violence

You will likely never agree but I believe us Irish are a very moderate and borderline docile people, the "fighting Irish" moniker is largely unwarranted and I don't mean that as a compliment.

Anyway these things are open to interpretation.

Pearse is viewed as having had rather odd interests in terms of human relationships

Old 12-03-2018, 05:39 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,354 times
I must say that I go along with the feeling that the 1916 declaration was faulty as it did not include Ireland but just the bits they felt were theirs! No discussion with those further north just a daft assumption that makes the head shake in it's weirdness. Ireland has changed and as I have indicated previously in many ways more importantly and wisely (still not a fan of that prime minister!). In general the border has been a very different thing from when I remember it as a boy and the south eventually started improving and as I have said much through the EU as it was difficult for the country as the previous history showed since 1922.

Hey irish_bob have a look at this (tee,hee)

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-34896902.html

Old 12-04-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
I must say that I go along with the feeling that the 1916 declaration was faulty as it did not include Ireland but just the bits they felt were theirs! No discussion with those further north just a daft assumption that makes the head shake in it's weirdness. Ireland has changed and as I have indicated previously in many ways more importantly and wisely (still not a fan of that prime minister!). In general the border has been a very different thing from when I remember it as a boy and the south eventually started improving and as I have said much through the EU as it was difficult for the country as the previous history showed since 1922.

Hey irish_bob have a look at this (tee,hee)

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-34896902.html

Many say bandon in Cork is a "protestant" town, Graham Norton hails from there.

Don't know that village in your link to visit but I've heard of drum as I know county monaghan reasonably well to drive through.

Interesting that the name reilly is mentioned a few times, never a name I associated with protestant folk? .

Last edited by irish_bob; 12-04-2018 at 02:28 AM..

Old 12-04-2018, 04:37 AM

2 posts, read 725 times
Default Not sure

In the past the experts were saying prognosis about many things ending up in the future. Then the same ones explained why the things worked out completely different. Let us just wait and see.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:

As an aside I visited the Somme a few years ago and saw the grave of his brother. It was just outside a small cemetery with a small wall. Our curator/guide told us that his relations objected to him being buried in the cemetery. It was a British War Graves Cemetery. So even in death there was division. Not sure but I think he was already interred in the British Cemetery and was re-interred outside it.

He had been wounded and was brought in off the battlefield by a UVF man but he later died of his injuries.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
As an aside I visited the Somme a few years ago and saw the grave of his brother. It was just outside a small cemetery with a small wall. Our curator/guide told us that his relations objected to him being buried in the cemetery. It was a British War Graves Cemetery. So even in death there was division. Not sure but I think he was already interred in the British Cemetery and was re-interred outside it.

He had been wounded and was brought in off the battlefield by a UVF man but he later died of his injuries.
Very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom