Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 01:46 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Its not so bad now. The song by Barnbrack paints a picture of the city '' Shaws Bridge river Lagan I'm going home to them all '' ''Of all the places I have been there's only one which fills my dream '' OK its probably romanticized a bit but it does remind me of some places I grew up around.

I had a relation who married a girl from Drogheda. He was down there playing a football match when he met her and she moved to Belfast.

Have never been to Galway or indeed and other town or city outside of Dublin. Oop's forgot we went on holiday to Dun Laoghhaire one time.
We live in Galway but won't stay here for more than a few more years, most people like the place but I've never took to it, other half from Limerick, most have no time for Limerick but I like it, Dublin is the best city by a mile down here but at the end of the day, it too is a relatively small city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 02:23 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
We live in Galway but won't stay here for more than a few more years, most people like the place but I've never took to it, other half from Limerick, most have no time for Limerick but I like it, Dublin is the best city by a mile down here but at the end of the day, it too is a relatively small city.

I think of Galway as being the wild west and I don't mean in a cowboy way but its ruggedness and wildness. However, maybe its not like that at all. Ain't Shannon Airport around there somewhere? Going a bit political but when Londonderry being in the west complained about not getting factories etc I thought of Galway being in the west too and the ROI (like Ulster) had most of its industry situated in Dublin and along that eastern coastline.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:44 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,300 times
The_General makes me groan and well shown what iffy corner he hails from. Mind you Vector1 makes passing snidey remarks including kids using songs towards the marching season etc. The sadness of the killings in Ulster are terrible and who hits the jackpot but the SF/IRA corner. Both Ulster and Eire have changed in these modern days to a great extent even allowing for the nuts who are still taking occasional people out in shootings both killing and wounding as punishments. The SF lot refuse to sit at Westminster which is principally, well daft! If I remember right not that many years ago wasn't there an Ulsterman in the Dublin Senate?? If an MP is not going to sit in the UK parliament then he/she should be automatically sacked. Atr the end of the day the MP is there to represent any of their constituents who wish to raise an issue but it shows how principally bias the SF lot are.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
I think of Galway as being the wild west and I don't mean in a cowboy way but its ruggedness and wildness. However, maybe its not like that at all. Ain't Shannon Airport around there somewhere? Going a bit political but when Londonderry being in the west complained about not getting factories etc I thought of Galway being in the west too and the ROI (like Ulster) had most of its industry situated in Dublin and along that eastern coastline.
You have to go west of Galway city itself to find that rugged landscape, the area is called connemara, its as big as most counties, much of county Galway ( east of the city) is flat.

Galway City today is actually a wealthy part of the country, not at Dublin levels ( not that all of Dublin is wealthy) but for a small city, it has a lot of multinationals based there, its more or less the medical devices HQ

Weather is awful, traffic is worse and the locals are a smug bunch.

Shannon Airport is actually close to Limerick city.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
You have to go west of Galway city itself to find that rugged landscape, the area is called connemara, its as big as most counties, much of county Galway ( east of the city) is flat.

Galway City today is actually a wealthy part of the country, not at Dublin levels ( not that all of Dublin is wealthy) but for a small city, it has a lot of multinationals based there, its more or less the medical devices HQ

Weather is awful, traffic is worse and the locals are a smug bunch.

Shannon Airport is actually close to Limerick city.

Thanks for giving me a picture of that area connemara I knew the name but that was it. I didn't know the airport was near Limerick. My geography of the ROI is near nil but I'm learning.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
The_General makes me groan and well shown what iffy corner he hails from. Mind you Vector1 makes passing snidey remarks including kids using songs towards the marching season etc. The sadness of the killings in Ulster are terrible and who hits the jackpot but the SF/IRA corner. Both Ulster and Eire have changed in these modern days to a great extent even allowing for the nuts who are still taking occasional people out in shootings both killing and wounding as punishments. The SF lot refuse to sit at Westminster which is principally, well daft! If I remember right not that many years ago wasn't there an Ulsterman in the Dublin Senate?? If an MP is not going to sit in the UK parliament then he/she should be automatically sacked. Atr the end of the day the MP is there to represent any of their constituents who wish to raise an issue but it shows how principally bias the SF lot are.

That's just the way they are. They castigate others for holding a belief but yet they too have their own beliefs which more or less is that the Irish can do no wrong and everything is the fault of the British or someone else.

I have said about the man being murdered by a car bomb and that took place just a few years ago. They got somebody for it and as far as I know he's awaiting trial.

The Ulsterman in the Dublin Senate could have been Mr Wilson whose daughter was killed in the Enniskillen Poppy Day bombing. I think Sam McAughtry was another from Ulster who was in the Senate

Old 12-16-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks for giving me a picture of that area connemara I knew the name but that was it. I didn't know the airport was near Limerick. My geography of the ROI is near nil but I'm learning.
Your welcome but before you use that bit of info in your local pub quiz, Shannon Airport is technically in the county of Clare , its about fifteen minutes from limerick-city

Part of Limerick city is in county Clare.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Your welcome but before you use that bit of info in your local pub quiz, Shannon Airport is technically in the county of Clare , its about fifteen minutes from limerick-city

Part of Limerick city is in county Clare.

Once again IB thanks for the info. Hadn't a clue about any of that. One thing I do remember reading a long while ago in the local paper was that there was an Orange lodge there. Of course that was years ago.

Last edited by Ulsterman; 12-16-2018 at 12:01 PM..

Old 12-16-2018, 11:58 AM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
You are dictating what I should do. I'll not tell you what you should do and would appreciate it if you would do the same . I quoted from the Saville report. A Catholic woman broke the silence and said there were firearms on the Irish republican side. This woman lived in the Bogside/Creggan and she was a brave woman for speaking out. Yes, the army shot and killed people and it was bad what happened. They shot and killed unarmed unionist people too. I lived though those times. Did you ?
No, as you can be as pleasant or difficult as you please. Obviously Roscoe's style is accepted by most of us by being curmudgeonly, somewhat condescending/dismissive, and repetitive with his plastic paddy comments.

However, what I notice is that you don't like to give an inch on just about any NI subject, and when you do, you cannot do so without also qualifying or even making excuses for the behavior of the orange tribe.
Not all atrocities in NI by the Unionist (and especially the Loyalists) were in retaliation. Some were just flat out evil, perpetrated by bad actors/thugs.
The same is true of the British government, whether it be by the military, RUC, or collusion with Loyalist paramilitaries.
So when an inexcusable atrocity occurs, it is helpful to have people from any stripe condemn it, regardless of which side of the divide they stand.

As to living through those times, I was alive, but obviously not on the doorstep. However lets be clear, many people from across the pond and world have perspectives on things that do not directly touch their lives.
I imagine you have thoughts/views/ opinions on things we Americans do both locally and abroad. You might not have a full/complete understanding of nuisances, but you still know right from wrong. Thus when governments engage in thuggery/murder, many are capable of condemning it without having been within earshot.

I guess what I'd hope is someone such as yourself who is reasoned, be willing to give what you appreciate receiving. I am sure you appreciated my and others condemning the Shankhill bombing, without making excuses, or indirectly trying to justify the tit for tat violence or overall cause.

`

Old 12-16-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
No, as you can be as pleasant or difficult as you please. Obviously Roscoe's style is accepted by most of us by being curmudgeonly, somewhat condescending/dismissive, and repetitive with his plastic paddy comments.

However, what I notice is that you don't like to give an inch on just about any NI subject, and when you do, you cannot do so without also qualifying or even making excuses for the behavior of the orange tribe.
Not all atrocities in NI by the Unionist (and especially the Loyalists) were in retaliation. Some were just flat out evil, perpetrated by bad actors/thugs.
The same is true of the British government, whether it be by the military, RUC, or collusion with Loyalist paramilitaries.
So when an inexcusable atrocity occurs, it is helpful to have people from any stripe condemn it, regardless of which side of the divide they stand.

As to living through those times, I was alive, but obviously not on the doorstep. However lets be clear, many people from across the pond and world have perspectives on things that do not directly touch their lives.
I imagine you have thoughts/views/ opinions on things we Americans do both locally and abroad. You might not have a full/complete understanding of nuisances, but you still know right from wrong. Thus when governments engage in thuggery/murder, many are capable of condemning it without having been within earshot.

I guess what I'd hope is someone such as yourself who is reasoned, be willing to give what you appreciate receiving. I am sure you appreciated my and others condemning the Shankhill bombing, without making excuses, or indirectly trying to justify the tit for tat violence or overall cause.

`

Not give an inch. I could say they same about you. I have repeatedly said that there was good and bad on both sides. I'm not going to keep on saying this. If the penny hasn't dropped by now there is no point in continuing to flog a dead horse.

What America does is their own business certainly I may have an opinion but that's that. I'm not going to stick my nose in and pick faults in what goes on in their country. That's up to the American people.

Last edited by Ulsterman; 12-16-2018 at 01:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom