Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 02:05 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,479,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
your mom drinks baileys!
Unlikely.
Not at six feet under anyway ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 05:21 PM

1,139 posts, read 460,416 times
I have reckoned you are a Yank Dangerous-Boy - have I guessed that y a passing word by you?

On the passing matter of St Patrick's Day I note that the SF leader over in the ex-colonies for that got her picture taken beside a flag depicting getting the English out of Ireland. A Unionist leader over there as a visitor made an unhappiness of that silly thing. That was dragging politics into the thing and also showed the lack of knowledge over the Atlantic by many Americans on the outside world due to the hard fact that Scots and English were in Ireland!

Old 03-17-2019, 08:30 PM

7,646 posts, read 6,413,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
I have reckoned you are a Yank Dangerous-Boy - have I guessed that y a passing word by you?

On the passing matter of St Patrick's Day I note that the SF leader over in the ex-colonies for that got her picture taken beside a flag depicting getting the English out of Ireland. A Unionist leader over there as a visitor made an unhappiness of that silly thing. That was dragging politics into the thing and also showed the lack of knowledge over the Atlantic by many Americans on the outside world due to the hard fact that Scots and English were in Ireland!

I honestly have no idea what you just said

Old 03-18-2019, 11:18 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,152,043 times
Quote:

Someone in Ulster had another pic saying Ireland get out of England.

In his role as a housing minister, Powell sat on a cabinet sub-committee in the spring of 1956. Figures had been rising steeply and the numbers of Irish were growing sharply with about 250,000 having emigrated since 1950.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:40 PM

16,163 posts, read 8,313,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Do you really think people care about the origin of something they enjoy.
Seriously?

Also, if I am not mistaken Baileys is made in both Dublin and in Northern Ireland, employing many Irish and British alike.

I also didn't realize liking something Irish, made people a PP as well. Dangerous Boy does not seem to fit your stereotype either, so once again, how do you fit these square pegs in the round holes.

----

BTW - The stuff is too sweet for me to drink straight, but I have had it mixed into coffee before and it is good (with no sugar added).
I think I have also had an Irish Car Bomb where a ****** of Baileys was dropped into my Guinness (like a boilermaker), and while anything tastes good with Guinness, I'd have preferred Harp mixed in.

`
I quoted my post because it looks like I forgot that the word j-i-g-g-e-r is auto censored. Not because I used it incorrectly, as a shot glass of XYZ is commonly referred to with that word. But over here in America even the term j-i-g can be considered a non-PC word for a black person.
I had never heard of it being considered bad before, but when it was auto-censored a while back in a different post, I was informed that some people object to it. I had only heard of it in the context of a dance (i.e. an Irish j-i-g) or as a j-i-g or j-i-g-g-e-r of whiskey.
I don't know if you'll have such issues with either word.
But in case anyone thought I might have cursed or something, that was the word I used as it relates to an Irish Car Bomb drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
you do not get to mock bailey's!

Its the nectar of the gods!
Roscoe doesn't know what he is talking about, as the stuff does taste good, very creamy and smooth. However to me it tastes like it could put you into a diabetic coma, as it is soo sweet. If I have it put into my coffee, I do not need to add sugar or cream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You mix lager with Guinness ?
Peak Plastic Paddy.
Indeed goof ball, as Harp & Guinness poured properly is called a Half & Half, and if mixed with the British lager of Bass, it is called a Black & Tan.
I imagine even you understand why when mixed with Brit beer it has that name.

It is funny how bartenders in the RoI and NI both knew exactly what I ordered, and knew how to properly mix it.
I guess the Brits and Irish in NI must be Plastic Paddy's for knowing how to do so.

`

Old 03-18-2019, 01:58 PM

16,163 posts, read 8,313,007 times
Quote:

You might be surprised how many times, even in this day and age you might run across graffiti with 26+6=1
I am not only talking about Irish strongholds like Boston or NY, rather remote places where I wouldn't expect too many Irish to live.
You also see people wearing tee shirts that say Brits out of Ireland and the like.

I have never seen the collection tins that English Dave mentioned for the IRA, but I imagine some people did donate to NORAID, which was suspected of funneling money to them.
One wonders if those funds put into tins in Irish bars ever made it to the IRA, or just provided extra tips for the waitresses.

`

Old 03-18-2019, 02:59 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,479,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Indeed goof ball, as Harp & Guinness poured properly is called a Half & Half, and if mixed with the British lager of Bass, it is called a Black & Tan.
I imagine even you understand why when mixed with Brit beer it has that name.

It is funny how bartenders in the RoI and NI both knew exactly what I ordered, and knew how to properly mix it.
I guess the Brits and Irish in NI must be Plastic Paddy's for knowing how to do so.

`
Bass is an ale not a lager.
And you can mix whatever you want with your Guinness but - and here's the important thing - a REAL Irishman never would put anything else into his Guinness glass but a Guinness.
It's why they laugh at American Plastic Paddies who come over for the REAL Irish experience ....

Old 03-18-2019, 07:28 PM

1,139 posts, read 460,416 times
For goodness sake Dangerous-Boy what do you not understand?? It is plain English and I took it you were from over the Atlantic as you used the word "mom."!

Old 03-18-2019, 08:08 PM

7,646 posts, read 6,413,582 times
Quote:
For goodness sake Dangerous-Boy what do you not understand?? It is plain English and I took it you were from over the Atlantic as you used the word "mom."!

ok...

Old 03-18-2019, 10:41 PM

754 posts, read 481,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
English Dave, I accept your position and can understand your feelings of frustration. Yes, it has gone on for many many years since 1641 at least. There was another time when our people were driven out and ended up sleeping on the beaches of Stranraer. I have relatives living here who are English and they have lived though the 'troubles' I got a bit fed up myself with it all as there seemed no winners. I suggested at least six times that we go and live in England. They said they would get back to me...but never did. And so we are still here today.
Where would you plan to live in England?

I don't think there is a great protestant migration back to the UK mainland of significant note, although I do hear protestants are more likely to go to university in UK mainland and not return.

Presumably they feel more comfortable with their own ethnic kinship where they can express their British identity more freely than staying part of a country where they're gradually heading towards being a minority?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom