Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 01:53 PM

16,582 posts, read 8,605,677 times

Advertisements

Brexit May Dismantle One of Bill Clinton's Major Accomplishments

The Boston Globe recently had the great good sense to send Kevin Cullen back to Ireland to write about the 20th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement under the shadow of Brexit, a delightful side effect of which may well be the evisceration of the one completely unalloyed triumph of Bill Clinton’s time in the White House.

Over the past 30 years, no American reporter has covered these issues as well as Cullen has. He found some folks in what used to be bandit country on the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic. He even found a few of them who’d been actual bandits, and almost all of them are now anxious about the peace that came dropping so slow.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...thern-ireland/

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 03:18 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Bob has got that right, and with his user name so he should.
I like accents from both sides of the border, but the ones from the Republic are softer than those of Ulster, I rarely have trouble understanding someone from the South, but they tend to speak a bit faster up North.
Just as I think that I’ve “got” what was initially said by an Ulsterman, they’re halfway through the next sentence, and my brain is frazzled.
When I was working over there in 1974, running semi trailers of oil from Larne ferry terminal to Coolkeeragh power station, in Derry, I’d ask a question of someone, nod knowingly while they answered, then go ask someone else, as I’d missed most of it.
The difference between a Belfast accent, and one from County Cork, is about as different as a Brooklyn NY accent, and one from Charleston SC.

Here's a bit of Irish talk. He says tink and not think. He does lets rip at Adams too

https://www.facebook.com/austen.lenn...?fref=mentions

Old 03-25-2019, 04:34 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Here's a bit of Irish talk. He says tink and not think. He does lets rip at Adams too

Regional dialect, where I'm from, no one would ever leave out the H in the word think, nor would we pronounce the number 3 as tree, often a perception out there that everyone here struggles with the number 33.

Not true

Old 03-25-2019, 04:52 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Regional dialect, where I'm from, no one would ever leave out the H in the word think, nor would we pronounce the number 3 as tree, often a perception out there that everyone here struggles with the number 33.

Not true
I would suspect that Americans might have got that idea after seeing Ballykissangel. There was a character in that series who did the tree and tink thing. I thought it was odd.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:54 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,300 times
Well I would say like elsewhere here in GB there are regional words that can get waffled with. Anyway when I watched Question Time on the BBC last Thursday I watched the stuff from the SF mouth who was there. He was reminded by the DUP representative that that lot for all their stuff about democracy do not sit at Westminster because of the oath required. He was duly informed that there had been a couple of well known Labourites who were republican minded but still took the thing to represent their constituents. Guess what folks that smart alex SF man went quite.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:00 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Well I would say like elsewhere here in GB there are regional words that can get waffled with. Anyway when I watched Question Time on the BBC last Thursday I watched the stuff from the SF mouth who was there. He was reminded by the DUP representative that that lot for all their stuff about democracy do not sit at Westminster because of the oath required. He was duly informed that there had been a couple of well known Labourites who were republican minded but still took the thing to represent their constituents. Guess what folks that smart alex SF man went quite.
Good for the DUP representative.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:22 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post

Thanks for that Ulstermen, that was an absolute classic, that guy certainly tore Adams a new one.
There’s no way on God’s green earth that I want to take sides in a dispute that’s been running for centuries, I live in U.K., was born in U.K., and travel on a U.K. passport, but with my blood laced with strong French traces, I could never be considered a dyed in the wool patriot, but I wish U.K. to live in peace, as everywhere should.
I have two sons who served in the military during “The Troubles”, one did all his service in Germany, was captured by a beautiful fräulein, and never came back.
The other served mostly in Germany, but with a three month deployment to Northern Ireland.
My heart stood still until he went back through the gates of his regimental H.Q., in Paderborn, Germany.
Good luck, and long life to both Irelands, long may they live in peace, separately, or by a miracle, as one.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:59 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
I guess the difference is that anti-monarchist labour MPs want to change the UK system so there is no longer a monarchy, the SF MPs just want to get out of the UK altogether and don't care if the UK keeps the monarchy or not. To be fair anybody voting for SF knows that they will be basically voiceless in the UK Parliament because of the SF boycott of the House of Commons and they still vote for them understanding that, it's not a new thing.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:14 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
I guess the difference is that anti-monarchist labour MPs want to change the UK system so there is no longer a monarchy, the SF MPs just want to get out of the UK altogether and don't care if the UK keeps the monarchy or not. To be fair anybody voting for SF knows that they will be basically voiceless in the UK Parliament because of the SF boycott of the House of Commons and they still vote for them understanding that, it's not a new thing.
On paper it appears that the SF votes would make an important difference but in reality no tory or marginal Labour seat would row in with them, UK press would roast them

Effectively SF votes in the commons would have zero value

Old 03-26-2019, 09:30 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Thanks for that Ulstermen, that was an absolute classic, that guy certainly tore Adams a new one.
There’s no way on God’s green earth that I want to take sides in a dispute that’s been running for centuries, I live in U.K., was born in U.K., and travel on a U.K. passport, but with my blood laced with strong French traces, I could never be considered a dyed in the wool patriot, but I wish U.K. to live in peace, as everywhere should.
I have two sons who served in the military during “The Troubles”, one did all his service in Germany, was captured by a beautiful fräulein, and never came back.
The other served mostly in Germany, but with a three month deployment to Northern Ireland.
My heart stood still until he went back through the gates of his regimental H.Q., in Paderborn, Germany.
Good luck, and long life to both Irelands, long may they live in peace, separately, or by a miracle, as one.

Cheers Jean Francois. But just to add I think the IRA killed a soldier or two in Europe. Germany might have been one of the places ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom