Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 07:24 AM

391 posts, read 196,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Fortunately it also explains the very simple reason why a united Ireland won't happen.
If the reason is simple, why would it need to be explained? Do tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 07:35 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
If the reason is simple, why would it need to be explained? Do tell.
If you can't understand something that simple it's pointless trying to explain.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:37 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
It's interesting that in a thread about a possible future united Ireland it is mostly the same handful of posters endlessly and pointlessly arguing about the past month in month out.

Fortunately it also explains the very simple reason why a united Ireland won't happen.
Should we just discuss the weather ☔

Old 04-17-2019, 07:42 AM

16,550 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ulsterman, I know that you've explained this before. Vector has taken posts that I've made and twisted and turned them for his own purposes, as he has done with others. He cited 800 years, a pretty exact figure. I proved to him that that's not the current iteration of Northern Ireland, so I want him to explain where he got 800 years. It must meet his agenda.

I do thank you for patiently explaining that to me though.

For what it's worth, I like the idea of the enchanted boar.
As I have mentioned, my goal is not to "twist & turn" others peoples views (sounds like a Chubby Checker song).
Mediums like these can lend themselves to misunderstandings at times. So sometimes we all assume or infer things others might not have intended now and again.
Just as a recent example between the two of us, you thought my post was by my own pen, and instead was a quote from an article I linked. You have now gone on about to say it must relate to "my agenda" even though you are not being malicious. So I could act indignant or aggrieved, but instead understand it was a simple misunderstanding on your part.

No harm, no foul.

`

Old 04-17-2019, 07:44 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Should we just discuss the weather ☔
It would be more useful than arguing about stuff that happened hundreds of years ago which is totally irrelevant today.

Think of you and the others on here endlessly fighting old battles as a metaphor for why a united Ireland won't happen.

The two sides in NI can't even agree on power-sharing in a devolved administration.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Normans quickly mixed with the Irish they didn't remain isolated. There are many Norman surnames in Ireland today and unless you think people with surnames like Burke and Fitzgerald aren't Irish

Anyway take a dna test. People should try it and they might learn how very much alike they are.
The suggestion that Southbound take a DNA test is all the rage over here in America, but one that I resist. In part because I read a story about some people in Norway whose family has lived and been documented there for centuries and have never been outside of their own region. They have also married and had children from essentially Norwegians that have a similar documented ancestry.
Yet, when they took the test expecting it to come back as pure as one might imagine, it showed them to be a bunch of "mixed mutts" as they put it.
They confirmed the test with another, and the same people showed different results, but still inaccurate to their documented heritage.

So while they nor I would go so far as claiming it is a money making scam, serious questions have to be asked regarding it's accuracy.

The irony as it relates to all the strife in NI and your neck of the woods is how closely related you'll are in race, ethnic background, and yes, even religion.
As a Christian myself, I have been to many a church service with friends and family. Whether it be at a Presbyterian or Catholic church, everyone is of the same faith, just different traditions and ways of going about worshiping.
Heck, I'd even go to a Pentecostal church if invited, just to see what all the talking in tongues & rattlesnake stuff is about.
As long as they do not expect me to milk the rattlesnake , I could still go along with their prayers to God the Father and the Son.

`

Old 04-17-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Vector didn't twist, you just interpreted incorrectly
Indeed, even more so than she realized, but will hopefully see my post explaining how.

`

Old 04-17-2019, 08:07 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
As I have mentioned, my goal is not to "twist & turn" others peoples views (sounds like a Chubby Checker song).
Mediums like these can lend themselves to misunderstandings at times. So sometimes we all assume or infer things others might not have intended now and again.
Just as a recent example between the two of us, you thought my post was by my own pen, and instead was a quote from an article I linked. You have now gone on about to say it must relate to "my agenda" even though you are not being malicious. So I could act indignant or aggrieved, but instead understand it was a simple misunderstanding on your part.

No harm, no foul.

`
As I've told you in the past, I'm usually posting from a phone, which means data restrictions.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:13 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Just correcting your mistake, I don't think that's too difficult to understand
I'm getting the impression that you enjoy trying to pick arguments with women. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
He has twisted several things that I've said over time then told me that I was saying something that I was not saying. This time he said 800 years, so I asked him specifically what he meant by it. Crickets. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, but I simply asked him to clarify.
Quote:
I said that he's done it in the past. I don't think that's difficult to understand. I asked him for a clarification. He's ignored it. 2 other people gave me helpful responses. I'm not here for an argument. You seem to be looking for an argument. Please don't include me when you get that urge.
Now I am aggrieved to be called a cricket and saying I ignored you!

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom