Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 04:30 PM

96 posts, read 78,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Several men with my mother's maiden name have been tested with YDNA because none of us could find our people in Pennsylvania in the 1820 US census. That's one part of what was being discussed.

You apparently think that the Celts = the Gaels = the Vikings, etc. for DNA. Sorry, but that's just wrong.
Well yes, the Gaels were of Celtic origin, the Celts were not an ethnic group, they were a cultural group.

The dominant genetic makeup of the "native" population of the Isles goes back to neolithic farmers, who migrated there thousands of years ago. Yes, there was a bit of spice thrown into the mix from time to time, but the pot gets stirred as people move around the islands, as they always have done.

It has to be said, people overestimate the number of Vikings that actually came. The high estimate is only around 35,000, almost all male, and that was a thousand years ago. They were quickly absorbed into the native gene pool and dispersed around Great Britain and Ireland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 06:16 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula12 View Post
Well yes, the Gaels were of Celtic origin, the Celts were not an ethnic group, they were a cultural group.

The dominant genetic makeup of the "native" population of the Isles goes back to neolithic farmers, who migrated there thousands of years ago. Yes, there was a bit of spice thrown into the mix from time to time, but the pot gets stirred as people move around the islands, as they always have done.

It has to be said, people overestimate the number of Vikings that actually came. The high estimate is only around 35,000, almost all male, and that was a thousand years ago. They were quickly absorbed into the native gene pool and dispersed around Great Britain and Ireland.

All I'm going to say is that I never said that I'm trying to do genealogy by doing DNA tests. I said the opposite. In the case of my mother's maiden name, we do know that they spent time in Ulster Province prior to coming to the North American colonies. Several of us knew where, or approximately where they should have been in Pennsylvania, in 1820. No one could find their appropriate people. Spelling was not the most important product involved with that census in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The men volunteered to do the testing and were accepted into a group consisting of 2 similar Gaelic surnames, one Irish and one Scottish. Those names had frequently been confused for my mother's maiden name in records. Those names proved to be closely related to each other and both names were not related to my mother's maiden name. It falls into a different category, with older DNA than the 2 better known names. It falls into a category that includes some highland and some lowland names in Scotland, but also picks up some Irish and some Welsh names.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:17 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, the DNA testing won't tell them if their background is Catholic or Protestant. However, there are multiple ethnicities on the islands, and they are on both sides of the Irish Sea. I was highly amused with the Maris/Mares find. As it turns out it's a Spanish name. Maybe there is something to the old tale about sailors from the Spanish Armada.

In my case, I'm likely to have some amount out Celtic DNA, but it would probably be coming from my immigrant grandfather's people, on the continent.

The thing with Elizabeth Warren is that I can see the American Indian in her. We don't get even amounts of DNA from each side. I just think that she didn't handle it well. I don't want her for president. I do want her either in the Senate or the cabinet.
You could be right as who really knows if Warren has some red in her. But as you understand being American, some whites try to pretend they are red, brown or some other affirmative action recognized group. They do that to get hired, promoted, admitted to schools etc.

I know the RUC/PSNI attempted such a program for hiring and promotions of Catholics, which to us Americans seem crazy.
Yet some of the things we did to integrate blacks into schools via busing might be a solution for Catholic and Protestant kids.

`

Old 04-19-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
The Republicans have once again broken the Good Friday Agreement.
Presumably only the Republicans who signed on to the GFA can be responsible for breaking it. Many a splinter group has called themselves the IRA before, during, and after the GFA, some swearing they would "never surrender".
You can hardly consider them to have broken something they never agreed to in the first place.

The good news is that they seem to have little support among the Nationalist community like the actual IRA did.

`

Old 04-19-2019, 10:49 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:

The dominant genetic makeup of the "native" population of the Isles is actually Bell Beaker who were a Bronze Age population. The Neolithic farmers of the British Isles were virtually replaced by these Bell Beakers so most British and Irish have no dna from the Neolithic builders of Stonehenge or New Grange which a lot of people will find a bit sad. Recent dna studies have shown that the Irish have a significant Norse contribution to their dna like the Orcadians and West Scots. The English have a higher Anglo-Saxon contribution but less Norse.

Quote:
A striking result of our admixture analysis is the surprising amount of Norwegian-like ancestry in our Irish clusters. We also detected high levels of Norwegian ancestry in Orcadian and Scottish clusters, and relatively low Norwegian ancestry in English and Welsh clusters. The Norwegian clusters that contribute significant ancestry to any Irish or British clusters predominantly consist of individuals from counties on the north or western coasts of Norway (Fig. 3b). These areas are noted to be regions where Norse Viking activity originated from8. Whilst this surprising Norwegian signal in Ireland is most likely due to Norwegian admixture into Ireland, indeed this would corroborate with accounts of Irish slave trade in the Viking era29, and Y-chromosomal analysis (unpublished).
I know this dna stuff is a bit OT but I'm just commenting on posts. I've read a lot about British Isles genetics and can link numerous studies but it is a bit OT. Just correcting Caligula12's post. I've a fascination with population genetics.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...na-study-shows

Last edited by Bernie20; 04-19-2019 at 11:23 PM..

Old 04-20-2019, 09:43 AM

465 posts, read 607,413 times
Quote:
The Republicans have once again broken the Good Friday Agreement.
Caligula,

You are 100% wrong to conflate a splinter group that calls itself “the New IRA” with “republicans.” This small group of troublemakers is not reflective of the overwhelming majority of Irish Catholics that would have supported the mainstream IRA of the 1970s through the 90s. The overwhelming majority of Irish catholics do not want to undo all the progress that’s been made since the GFA.

It says something when Sinn Fein does a joint annnoucement with Arlene Foster to condemn what just happened in Derry. Hopefully, some “republicans” will have information about the culprits and turn them in.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
Caligula,

You are 100% wrong to conflate a splinter group that calls itself “the New IRA” with “republicans.” This small group of troublemakers is not reflective of the overwhelming majority of Irish Catholics that would have supported the mainstream IRA of the 1970s through the 90s. The overwhelming majority of Irish catholics do not want to undo all the progress that’s been made since the GFA.

It says something when Sinn Fein does a joint annnoucement with Arlene Foster to condemn what just happened in Derry. Hopefully, some “republicans” will have information about the culprits and turn them in.
I agree, and do not see how Caligula made that leap.

Having said that, one wonders what caused the rioting to begin with. Did the PNSI target one suspected home with a raid (understandable for LE). Or did they do a sweep which involved multiple homes, potentially engulfing innocent members of the community?
Also was there a military presence, as that can certainly set off the Nationalist community.

`

Old 04-20-2019, 10:24 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I agree, and do not see how Caligula made that leap.

Having said that, one wonders what caused the rioting to begin with. Did the PNSI target one suspected home with a raid (understandable for LE). Or did they do a sweep which involved multiple homes, potentially engulfing innocent members of the community?
Also was there a military presence, as that can certainly set off the Nationalist community.

`
Here's a suggestion for you.
Why not research the many media reports there are about the incident instead of just speculating ?
You know,real facts instead of barstool postulating.
You might learn something.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:30 AM

Enjoy Gerry Adams replying to himself on Twitter but forgetting to switch accounts.
A bit like forgetting where he has buried all the bodies.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GerryAdam...57072212291584

Old 04-20-2019, 10:38 AM

It didn't take long for one cretinous MP to blame Brexit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GeorgeFre...93157453918209
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom