Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 10:20 AM

16,166 posts, read 8,313,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
That's because he's a buffoon who knows nothing about NI.
The idea that police there should plan an anti-terrorist raid to take into consideration the feelings of the local community in case they get upset is laughable.
Not just laughable but comically and dangerously ignorant about the reality of life in the province.
The death of this journalist appears to be of minor insignificance in his bizarre world where Catholics are somehow the blacks of NI.
Why bother engaging with this joker ?
Well the score card tells a much different story my friend, with you being on the losing side. I have repeatedly shown your claims to be wrong, yet you say I am the one who knows nothing about NI?
That is certainly laughable.

As to the overall point regarding policing, I come from a LE family and rest assured many things are taken into account regarding interactions with the community. That is especially true of communities with an inherent distrust (rightly or wrongly) of police operations in their community.
Or do you think all the actions of the RUC or even way back to the USC were proper LE toward the Catholic community?
Sure some of my relatives would love to engage in Dirty Harry type of policing, and conservatives such as yourself probably wish that was the SOP of LE.
However when the rubber hits the road, politicians are the ones who decide how their police forces (which are representatives of the government) must treat people in a free western culture.

But then again look at who I am trying to reason with. Someone who cannot even admit Bloody Sunday was inexcusable slaughter of innocent people. You'd even want to give a pass to those who gave the orders and/or who might have been trigger happy.
I know people like you in this regard, and question why you can think in the manner you do. I suspect it stems from never having the heel of someones boot on the back of your neck. Thus you feel justified in saying all police actions, including misconduct are ok, so long as you do not have to experience it.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 10:24 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,710,470 times
I’m not sure anyone will be able to prove who killed Lyra McKee.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:27 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,479,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula12 View Post
It's clear right from the thread title where his loyalties lie, that's fine, but I'm surprised to see him going as far as to try and quietly justify the murderous actions of an extremist group resisting the authorities in charge of handling them. The big story here, the death of an innocent journalist, is apparently a minor detail next to the supposed bigger picture...

I don't know if that's a theme here, but it strikes me as no different to defending the actions of other outlawed groups, such as ISIS or Al Qaeda. Questionable territory, but I'm not going to tell CD how to run their own forum.
Most American views on terrorism changed rapidly once the actual killing started on home soil.
Suddenly those beret boys heroically slaughtering innocent man,women and children on the streets of the UK weren't so glamorous after all.
It was about the time Sinn Fein were no longer welcome in the White House.
Buying weapons and Semtex from Gadaffi wasn't quite the done thing any more.
But there's always the occasional joker still spouting nonsense at the bar of the Plastic Paddy Arms.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I don't know much about Derry but if the dissidents have a level of support there?

It would seem possible that rioting was planned, I would not criticise the police for going in to deal with those kind of people, they have no political mandate and mainstream republicanism ( AFAIK) supports the PSNI in tackling the issue?

Some people just like rioting afterall
Obviously my knowledge when it comes to policing in NI is academic, as I have never interacted with the police in the RoI or NI when I have been over to visit.
So aside from what I have read and watched via news reports, I am trying to figure out what happened like everyone else.

As you can see from my last few posts, I am trying to get a sense of the Nationalists reaction in Derry to this LE operation. I even inquired whether a military presence was involved, as that is sure to spark a negative reaction from them.
Traditionally the RUC was seen as the enemy of the Catholic community, even colluding with Loyalist paramilitaries.
Many a book or documentary has uncovered this, even to the point of the book being banned in the UK.

As to your question about support, it would be nice if we had someone in this discussion group who lived in Derry or nearby Catholic area, like Ulsterman lives in his section of town. He obviously gives the Unionist/Loyalist perspective, so it would be nice to have boots on the ground so to speak for the green tribes perspective.
It would seem apparent that SF nor any other Nationalist party supports these splinter groups, and feels their actions are harmful to the cause of a untied Ireland, or even coexistence with the Unionist community.

`

Old 04-23-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I’m not sure anyone will be able to prove who killed Lyra McKee.
I don't know if the laws are the same over in NI, but over here if the police are engaged with an active shooter, and their return fire hits an innocent bystander, the suspect is still charged with murder. The charge is typically in the 2nd Degree. Sometimes it is reduced to involuntary manslaughter, but unless the police acted recklessly, the charges fall on the suspect, not the police.

`

Old 04-23-2019, 10:59 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,479,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I even inquired whether a military presence was involved, as that is sure to spark a negative reaction from them.
The last British soldier left NI in 2007.
A perfect example of your complete and utter ignorance about the place.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:14 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,710,470 times
How many Catholics in NI are still Catholic, and how many Protestants are still Protestant?

Old 04-23-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The last British soldier left NI in 2007.
A perfect example of your complete and utter ignorance about the place.

Right, so you are still batting 1.000 I see, but will undoubtedly not admit to this mistake either.
[That is a phrase referring to baseball which I wouldn't expect you to know. It essentially means you never miss, and in this case you have maintained your average]

`

Old 04-23-2019, 11:34 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,152,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Unfortunately there have been occasional repeats of willy-nilly shootings of black people in America including unarmed ones. I about two years ago watched a retired captain from the Philadelphia police commenting on some of the popor police standards in his country. Slightly after that a part of senior police visited Scotland and out police training college and numbed at the standards. So what goes on there cannot be somehow used as a raising point in Ulster and that recent riot then killing. You do have a police problem .

The area of Londonderry where the rouble was is a traditional area where that has been traditional and they all live in nice houses provided for ent from the authorities they moan at!

Very true and as I have pointed out earlier they were living in good houses with all modern facilities while unionists were living in hovels as were other people in Glasgow,Liverpool, Manchester etc. There was a contributor on this thread who said he thought the unionists were a stoic people. I think that summed them up. However, as we know (especially now days) the offended get listened to and the 'crying child ' gets lifted. Unionists in their own way could be blamed for not crying enough. But perhaps the Irish have already cornered that position and the sympathy will always be for them. Outside of unionists it would be a brave man or woman who would speak ill of the Irish.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How many Catholics in NI are still Catholic, and how many Protestants are still Protestant?
Good question, even over here across the pond. It seems as if organized religion is on the decline in western culture/societies.
However I suspect the % of those claiming to be religious in NI is higher than most.

What almost seems perverse to some is how religious affiliation seems to permeate all sorts of unrelated aspects of life. For example, the video I posted for RJ about soccer affiliation and how it relates to ones religion.
If I support a particular team, it is typically based on a sport I like and being the local team, or one that I supported when I lived in a different city/state.
Yet over in NI (and apparently parts of Scotland) they view it as an extension of their religion, whether it be Protestant or Catholic.
When I heard the small boy saying he was a Celtic fan because he was Catholic, I was
Then when a Ranger fan was trying to justify him enjoying sectarian songs and teaching them to his kids as a way of life, and seeing nothing wrong with it, I was
Then there was the woman who said she didn't like soccer but was a Celtic fan and always would be, and I was

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom