Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2019, 11:15 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Spot on there! I am sure that there is something pressing my mind that there was once either pictures or brief marching at a base in Afghanistan for the 12th!

on Saturday I went to the main George Square Glasgow with the Unionist group Force For Change to heckle the SNP lot marching through the city like a bunch of head-cases the way they acted! We had union Flags of course. Shorlty there is to be a counter march organised by Unionists here. On the way home later I noticed a man and women walking on busy Argyle street shopping area. He was wearing a Rangers top so stopped the for a chat and they were from Ulster so a pleasing end to my afternoon!!

Its great to hear that we are not alone as so many are aligned against us. Of course we have always got support from Scotland (indeed England too) and we appreciate that

A couple of pics with the one you mentioned. The other one at the jeep is I believe of American soldiers and Ulster soldiers with the Ulster flag.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-ulster-soldiers-iraq.jpg   Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-picture-our-american-friends-road-bagdad  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 03:22 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,354 times
Should have added that amongst the clowns in that independence march I suddenly noticed amongst the massive number of St Andrews flags I thought was seeing things when there was an Irish tricolour being carried! However when it came near where our group of Unionist were standing with a group of Union flags it was suddenly lowered. The guff in a corner of paper reporting on "tens of thousands" was a tad farcical. Certainly a large parade but nearer to being over 8,000 not tens of thousands. A few people carried that nationalist newspaper the "national" which has slumped by three quarters to over eight thousand copies! I also noticed a very high picture taken at the Glasgow Green Park which did not show tens of thousands at all! Anyway with a planned unionist march planned in Glasgow to the same ancient park there will be plenty of British Union flags!In July an Ulster flag wiil go above the garage in the driveway for good reason Ulsterman!

Old 05-06-2019, 03:25 PM

Well you name them Vector1 as I have lived in this city all my life and puzzling me. Your lot over the pond had Fenians and I do remember as a boy a song here that mentioned that dangerous lot of thugs from the 1800's!

Old 05-07-2019, 08:17 AM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Well you name them Vector1 as I have lived in this city all my life and puzzling me. Your lot over the pond had Fenians and I do remember as a boy a song here that mentioned that dangerous lot of thugs from the 1800's!
Look, when Ulsterman posted a video a while back of school kids singing along to "Fenian" songs as you call them, I listened closely to the words. From what I could make out through the Irish brogue was very unpleasant, especially being sung by school age kids.
The kids were singing and having what seemed like a "fun" sectarian go of it, and I agreed with him that it was not right to indoctrinate kids into violence and hatred. Here is my reply to him;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I just had a chance to watch the video and good thing that I did, as that site is set to dissolve today or tomorrow.

In any event, we have another area of common ground. I suspect both sides teaching their children to hate the other side is justified in their minds. However it stunts the children's minds and creates a tribal us vs. them mentality.
While this is not limited to just Irish/British parents, it does seem to be an effort to perpetuate the belief that the other side is the enemy.
I think the most disconcerting thing about the video was the young age of the kids, and how much fun they seem to have. All the while being indoctrinated into a future of hateful thoughts about the kids on the other side of the wall.

With all that said, do you see the parallels of the Loyalists doing the same thing with the marching season, all under the guise of pride and heritage?

`
Naturally I never received an answer to the question I put to him in that last sentence, regarding his own sides provocative songs during the marching season.
Everything is a one way street in Ulstermans world view, despite when outsiders can empathize with some of his viewpoints.
That is undoubtedly part of the problem with NI, "never give an inch".

That is also why I was disgusted to watch that video I posted for you, about sectarianism revolving around the sport of soccer.
It was one of your boys who made a comment about how he couldn't believe he was listening to the fans singing about killing Catholics.
He obviously was no Yank, so I'd think if a Ranger star and coach named Graeme Souness said it, then it must be true, right?

`

Old 05-07-2019, 10:57 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,895 times
Good on you Patsy McGarry

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/s...yz-NI.facebook

Old 05-07-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Seems strange that you would compliment someone who objects to a march/commemoration by the green tribe, when the Unionists/Loyalists perpetually march in NI commemorating dates/events you'll hold important.

Frankly I see nothing wrong with a once a year event celebrating whatever the orange or green tribes feel important.
However the multitude of marches (predominately via the orange tribe) seems well over the top.
Thus your post seems a tad bit hypocritical.

`

Old 05-07-2019, 03:15 PM

You are warping things very direct there Vector1 stating that I overall called "them" Fenian songs and that is rubbish from you. Things were twisted from you and my only reference regarding as a boy was A song where the word Fenian was used but it was NOT used in all protestant songs etc. So being a one off as a lad had me puzzled and was NOT a standard wording repeated and I can vouch for that knowing most of the then songs! . And as I also pointed out the Fenians in the US of A were an evil and dangerous society. So either suss things correctly or do not warp things to suit your corner. Oh and study your own history by the way and that lot's terrible history over there across the pond.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:12 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Interesting to note that a few weeks ago "experts" were predicting the DUP would pay the price for ignoring the Brexit referendum result in NI.

Well, we have just had the local government elections in Northern Ireland and the DUP has been returned as the largest party by a comfortable margin.

Brexit will not make a united Ireland any more likely.

Experts,eh ?

Old 05-08-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
You are warping things very direct there Vector1 stating that I overall called "them" Fenian songs and that is rubbish from you. Things were twisted from you and my only reference regarding as a boy was A song where the word Fenian was used but it was NOT used in all protestant songs etc. So being a one off as a lad had me puzzled and was NOT a standard wording repeated and I can vouch for that knowing most of the then songs! . And as I also pointed out the Fenians in the US of A were an evil and dangerous society. So either suss things correctly or do not warp things to suit your corner. Oh and study your own history by the way and that lot's terrible history over there across the pond.
I think you are getting too hung up on me saying "Fenian" as I was just repeating your term that may have only been related to a specific issue/thing.
Semantics in some cases, but not others, right.

That misses the main thrust of my post entirely regarding how Ranger songs are certainly sectarian, and at least in some cases regale in the killing of Catholics.
Did you not watch the video I posted

`

Old 05-08-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Interesting to note that a few weeks ago "experts" were predicting the DUP would pay the price for ignoring the Brexit referendum result in NI.

Well, we have just had the local government elections in Northern Ireland and the DUP has been returned as the largest party by a comfortable margin.

Brexit will not make a united Ireland any more likely.

Experts,eh ?
I am not sure which experts you are sarcastically referring to, but one would have hoped both the DUP and SF would have lost some seats due to their intransigence. Both sides are to blame, but undoubtedly those on your side of the aisle think it is all 100% the nationalist side, not the Unionist side.
Yet the UUP and SDLP seem incapable of increasing their numbers with a more moderate platform.

As to your comment about Brexit not making a united Ireland more likely, that comment flies in the face of many knowledgeable people who feel it is a potential game changer. Granted much will depend on how it finally gets done.
However people more knowledgeable than you or I feel this has brought a united Ireland back to the forefront of discussion/consideration.
Combined with the Catholic birthrate in NI, it almost seems inevitable.

My Aussie friend said she is renewing her fathers passport in the hope it will happen before his passing, as that is and has always been his dream to return to a united Ireland.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom