Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 08:25 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I am Protestant but have no time for the marches, cant stand them or any actions.. the burning of flags goes both ways though sadly, and not only the Loyalists, time it all stopped...

the marches are ok provided they don't march through nationalist areas , then it becomes deliberately provocative , ive often watched the 12th programme on bbc northern Ireland and it looks like a pleasant family day out for the most part , quite twee in many cases , people eating ice cream , tea and sandwiches etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 09:20 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Ban both...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC3wFvUvbGY

Old 07-19-2015, 09:33 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
I agree!

Old 07-19-2015, 01:01 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Your right, it would kill the Irish population to accept anything British even though it would better the country.

They should've and should be using the Pound Sterling.. Their nearest border uses pounds and their nearest competitor uses pounds.

Pounds is also a better currency overall.

£1 to dollar: $1.56
£1 to €: 1.44
£1 to Canadian dollar: 2.02

€ to £: £0.69
€ to Canada $: 1.40
€ to $: $1.08

Honestly.. The Irish will never use the pound though so we are wasting our time.
Not so, on several counts. I recall when sterling was widely used in RoI as a 2nd currency. The Irish Pound was linked to Sterling for about 50 years. The link was broken in 1978 when the UK declined to enter the Exchange Rate Mechanism, a kind of precursor to the Eurozone.

When I went to school in the southern border counties in the mid 70's you could present Sterling in payment and it would be accepted without question. The reverse was only marginally true. Some retailers in the Sterling area, mostly in the border counties, would accept the Irish pound.

It's a little like the current situation where Bank of England printed Sterling is accepted across the UK, but Scottish and N.I. printed Sterling tends to be accepted only in those areas. Take it to London and it will likely be refused, even though it is legitimate currency.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the uk was never going to join the Eurozone but Ireland joining was a lot to do with separating us more from the uk
You originally said that the only reason Ireland joined the Euro was because the UK didn't. That's just not accurate. Ireland had already separated it's currency from the UK 20 years earlier when the Irish Pound migrated to the Irish Punt, at the implementation of the ERM.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Not so, on several counts. I recall when sterling was widely used in RoI as a 2nd currency. The Irish Pound was linked to Sterling for about 50 years. The link was broken in 1978 when the UK declined to enter the Exchange Rate Mechanism, a kind of precursor to the Eurozone.

When I went to school in the southern border counties in the mid 70's you could present Sterling in payment and it would be accepted without question. The reverse was only marginally true. Some retailers in the Sterling area, mostly in the border counties, would accept the Irish pound.

It's a little like the current situation where Bank of England printed Sterling is accepted across the UK, but Scottish and N.I. printed Sterling tends to be accepted only in those areas. Take it to London and it will likely be refused, even though it is legitimate currency.
Except that we are part of the UK and actually use British pounds NOT the Punt, also we use Bank of England notes here too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the irish population had no say in the country joining the Eurozone currency bloc
It would make more sense for them to join our currency.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Except that we are part of the UK and actually use British pounds NOT the Punt, also we use Bank of England notes here too.

I think you have your wires crossed here. I never claimed that N.I. used anything other than Sterling. I was responding to your claim that RoI would never use Sterling, and noted that it has in the past. Conversely, I personally have tendered Irish Punt's in Newry and had them accepted without question, just like Euro's are accepted in Newry today. OTOH, I've had legitimate Sterling refused in London, because it was printed by a N.I. or Scottish bank, instead of Bank of England.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:14 PM

Well so have I but that's down to ignorance more than anything else.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:44 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:

we don't need to join the sterling , the irish pound would likely be weaker than sterling which would help our exports , it would also be weaker than the euro though a depreciation of 20% is likely to be the maximum downside

Old 07-20-2015, 09:52 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Nothing like having currencies like sterling, punt, Irish pound all clinking and lying in pockets and wallets. And nothing like economists getting involved in the extension of numerous 'currencies'. They put it out there and let the 'coin' fall as it may. Probably screws up more than it solves.

Someone should do a study on how it all relates to NI, UK and European 'compatibility' ........;-)...We have our problems too but I hope nobody floats ideas of New York or Michigan or Virginia 'dollars' etc etc etc. then we'd be really up the creek with no paddle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom