Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 11:30 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
However, there were also some counties that voted to Leave unlike Scotland. Also you do realise that we are a net contributor to the EU. What we receive is MUCH less than we give so that money will still be there and the UK gets to decide where it goes, not the EU where it decides only certain sectors of Northern Ireland and Wales can receive that cash. Also in case you didn't realise all of London voted to Remain so your argument doesn't make sense plus it was clear in May's speech that a soft border between Ireland and N.Ireland is a priority at the negotiating table, an example already exists like the smart border between Norway and Sweden.
What argument? I do think countries are better in the EU than out. I think it is a very short sighted thing for the UK to vote themselves out of the EU. It is much better to be part of a large trading block and also to have the backing of your fellow Europeans. That is my opinion anyway.

Ireland and Britain have have had the Common Travel Area before they were in the EU so hopefully things won't change so much. That might be wishful thinking though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 04:34 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,727 times
I just read that many British that have an Irish father or grandfather are becoming Irish, they are uncertain about Brexit. There are so many that the Irish embassador told them to take it easy as they don't have staff to handle so many applications.

I don't see that nothing will come from Brexit..and from Trump. Snake oil. But Ireland should fight with their teeth to mantain their tax policies. The worst part of the EU is the monetary unin, and Brits were wise enough to reppeal it.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:42 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,678 times
Ireland should be in some sort of union with the UK. Being part of the EU/Eurozone and having NI out of the EU/Eurozone makes no sense.

(and no the solution is not for NI to stay in the EU).

Old 02-01-2017, 11:56 AM

16,560 posts, read 8,596,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Michelle O'Neil comes from a traditional IRA family. Her father and uncle were IRA prisoners and at least two of her cousins were shot, one fatally, while on ‘active duty’ with the IRA. Behind the glitzy and modern image, it is more of the same.
I am not sure what you mean by more of the same

Being related to vs. being a part of the IRA seems much different, especially since McGuinness was an active member of the IRA.
However your comment about a glitzy modern image should not be under estimated. A recent poll shows the DUP & SF neck and neck for the March 2nd elections.

Poll: Arlene Foster rating plummets - DUP and Sinn Fein neck-and-neck - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Some of that undoubtedly has to do with Foster's scandal and ensuing unpopularity. Yet it might also have to do with O'Neil being more palatable than McGuiness.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:13 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,921,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
I just read that many British that have an Irish father or grandfather are becoming Irish, they are uncertain about Brexit. There are so many that the Irish embassador told them to take it easy as they don't have staff to handle so many applications.

I don't see that nothing will come from Brexit..and from Trump. Snake oil. But Ireland should fight with their teeth to mantain their tax policies. The worst part of the EU is the monetary unin, and Brits were wise enough to reppeal it.
I understand them taking precautions, but the situation in Ireland is hardly more stable as far as I understand it? High unemployment, high debt, anchored to a Eurozone that could be on the verge of collapse etc.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:36 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,723,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
It's funny you mention this.

I remember when they said if Britain didn't join the Euro we would be worse off, we would lose exports, investment and business and waine in influence. Well that didn't happen did it?

Maybe it's "wise" of the Brits again to leave the EU to 1. Take democratic control of its own decisions and money 2. Force reform upon the EU.

I wouldn't be surprised if just like during Napoleon and World War II, Britain has once again gone against a European tide of expansionism in the most democratic way; a vote in parliament with a mandate from the people - that's democracy, not the European Commission.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:41 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,921,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
It's funny you mention this.

I remember when they said if Britain didn't join the Euro we would be worse off, we would lose exports, investment and business and waine in influence. Well that didn't happen did it?

Maybe it's "wise" of the Brits again to leave the EU to 1. Take democratic control of its own decisions and money 2. Force reform upon the EU.

I wouldn't be surprised if just like during Napoleon and World War II, Britain has once again gone against a European tide of expansionism in the most democratic way; a vote in parliament with a mandate from the people - that's democracy, not the European Commission.
If there's one thing that most people seem to agree on, it's that staying out of the Euro was perhaps one of the best decisions the UK ever made.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:50 AM

16,560 posts, read 8,596,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
If there's one thing that most people seem to agree on, it's that staying out of the Euro was perhaps one of the best decisions the UK ever made.
This could be very well why the election results last week show the Nationalist/Republican gains at the expense of the Unionist/Loyalist. Brexit could very well be the impetus to a referendum on the future of NI in the coming year.
If you look at the combined totals of seats, SF & SDLP are the majority with 39 vs. DUP/UUP of 38 seats. That is a razor thin margin, but last year it was 54 seats for the DUP/UUP vs. 40 for SF/SDLP. That is a huge political turn around in just a few short months.

I don't see how anyone could argue Brexit did not play a substantial role in the vote, and maybe the very future of reunification of NI with the RoI.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:03 AM

1,285 posts, read 591,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Michelle O'Neil comes from a traditional IRA family. Her father and uncle were IRA prisoners and at least two of her cousins were shot, one fatally, while on ‘active duty’ with the IRA. Behind the glitzy and modern image, it is more of the same.
In order for peace processes to work, it generally requires elected party leaders that can carry with them the disgruntled, the dispossessed, the downtrodden, and the recalcitrant.

The SDLP simply lacked the necessary standing within the Nationalist communities to do that.
Ergo, those people have chosen SF to represent them.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:28 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
In order for peace processes to work, it generally requires elected party leaders that can carry with them the disgruntled, the dispossessed, the downtrodden, and the recalcitrant.

The SDLP simply lacked the necessary standing within the Nationalist communities to do that.
Ergo, those people have chosen SF to represent them.
And that's exactly why there will never be a UI. Notwithstanding their recent successes in RoI, a clear and substantial majority in RoI despise the Stickies, because Danny Bangers said they would take power in RoI with a ballot in one hand, and an armalite rifle in the other. Not happening!

Many in RoI are suspicious of Northern Nationalists precisely because of their rejection of the SDLP and John Hume, the only person in the world to be the recipient of all three major peace prizes, Nobel, Gandhi, and MLK. A poll in the RoI voted him the greatest politician in Irish history. Northern Nationalists are like the Palestinians, they never miss an opportunity, to miss an opportunity.

Northern Ireland is not an Irish problem, it's a British problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom