Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 12:56 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

the northern ireland political reality alone was reason enough for the uk to vote remain which just proves how little most brits care about northern ireland
You feel the English should have voted to remain because of Northern Ireland, and it's border difficulties? Good God........

Bob........ we DON'T CARE. We are sick of Ireland in general. 30 years of slaughter hasn't been forgotten. All I hope for is a united Ireland, and a saving of the vast funds being spent on the northern Irish. Sadly, this won't happen because turkey's don't vote for Christmas.

The English are concerned about England. You know, like the Irish are concerned about Ireland, and the Scots are concerned about Scotland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 02:47 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You feel the English should have voted to remain because of Northern Ireland, and it's border difficulties? Good God........

Bob........ we DON'T CARE. We are sick of Ireland in general. 30 years of slaughter hasn't been forgotten. All I hope for is a united Ireland, and a saving of the vast funds being spent on the northern Irish. Sadly, this won't happen because turkey's don't vote for Christmas.

The English are concerned about England. You know, like the Irish are concerned about Ireland, and the Scots are concerned about Scotland.
Yes this is obvious. I do believe that the majority of English would be glad if Northern Ireland wasn't their problem anymore. What I do find annoying is that British people act like they had no involvement in creating the situation in Northern Ireland. Do people know their history at all English Dave? It is conveniently forgotten that it is a British problem that unfortunately has implications for the rest of the 26 counties.

Northern Ireland was created to pander to the Ulster Unionists by the British. People that Britain put there and that still feel loyalty to Britain. Do they teach anything about British history in schools these days?

Do Ulster Unionists consider themselves Irish?

Old 05-07-2017, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Ireland's peace agreement? I think you'll find that this is an agreement between many parties, not just Ireland, and to say it's threatened by Brexit is yet more hysterical hyperbole from the pro-EU press.

If you bothered to actually inform yourself about the official UK government position on the subject, rather than letting media outlets control your view of the world, you'd already know that the UK government is fully committed to keeping the border with Ireland open. If there's any shenanigans, it will be on the EU's part.
That is the title of the article from the newspaper. I am aware of the UK's stance it was even mentioned in that article but how do they propose they are going to do that? Words don't mean anything and how is it the EU's part when it was the UK that voted to leave the EU? They decided that they would be outside the EU which doesn't really matter if you are in England but sure does have implications if you are Northern Ireland or Gibraltar.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:55 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
I don't know why people like you keep making this point. Most people in Northern Ireland are aware of the English perspective on Northern Ireland (and I refer to the English population because they are the majority population).

In any case, the vast majority of people in Northern Ireland don't care what the English think because their opinion is irrelevant (as stipulated in your 'Good Friday Agreement') on whether a United Ireland will happen or not and Northern Ireland has (well not at the moment) it's own devolved parliament, the 'Northern Ireland Assembly' to make it's own laws and legislations. So, you know what happens in England really has no bearing on people's day to day lives.

At the moment, the majority of the present population in Northern Ireland are content with the current situation. No one wants to stifle up more drama and return to the nonsense of the 'Troubles' just to please Gerry Adams and his party.

A vote for a United Ireland would imo show the IRA etc that it was acceptable what they did and that killing will get them what they want. No one wants to be ruled by SF.
well done on missing my point

Old 05-07-2017, 02:58 AM

Quote:

scotland and northern ireland are part of the uk !, im not shouting for a united ireland , i dont live in northern ireland but it shocks me that you think northern ireland is nothing to do with your state - people , the northern ireland peace process is a young and fragile process , it did not need this kind of potential destabalisation , your goverment absolutely wishes northern ireland to remain part of the uk , it fought hard for it to remain so for decades , its denying reality to claim no one wants it

Old 05-07-2017, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Yes this is obvious. I do believe that the majority of English would be glad if Northern Ireland wasn't their problem anymore. What I do find annoying is that British people act like they had no involvement in creating the situation in Northern Ireland. Do people know their history at all English Dave? It is conveniently forgotten that it is a British problem that unfortunately has implications for the rest of the 26 counties.

Northern Ireland was created to pander to the Ulster Unionists by the British. People that Britain put there and that still feel loyalty to Britain. Do they teach anything about British history in schools these days?

many ulster unionists would refer to themselves as irish but only in a regional geographic description - sense , they would not for a second consider themselves to be irish in a national - political sense

Old 05-07-2017, 03:02 AM

Quote:

Sure I know about the creation of Northern Ireland, and why it was done. You talk about British people, and their involvement in that. Well, those folks are all long dead. Why should the English people of today be concerned with this? Do we make Irish people hate each other? Did we make them take up arms, and slaughter each other? Did we separate them, with ethnic cleansing? Did we make them walk through the streets provoking each other?

They're all Irish for gawds sake. We're sick of it all Bernie....... just sick of it. Martin McGuinness had a heroes funeral. A man who was involved in murders of British soldiers, and civilians in Ireland and England. "He was a real nice guy. Good family man" was the refrain. Well, who am I to say different? He seemed to impress many people in his later years. Well, as for the English, we are tired of Ireland, and it's problems. They can end with a united Ireland. I'm all for it, and I guess most English people will agree with me.

Nobody is stopping this happening, but the Irish people themselves.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
scotland and northern ireland are part of the uk !, im not shouting for a united ireland , i dont live in northern ireland but it shocks me that you think northern ireland is nothing to do with your state - people , the northern ireland peace process is a young and fragile process , it did not need this kind of potential destabalisation , your goverment absolutely wishes northern ireland to remain part of the uk , it fought hard for it to remain so for decades , its denying reality to claim no one wants it
The British government fought hard to stop a full scale civil war in Northern Ireland. The people there seem to want to remain a part of the UK. That doesn't mean the English people want that. Young people here know nothing of the 'troubles.' It isn't on their radar........ Gawd, many of them don't even know of the history of England, never mind Ireland.

Young and fragile process huh? You mean it won't take much for the Irish to start killing each other again? Potential destabilisation? You think we should care? We have gone beyond caring. At least those of us who were alive watching the 30 years of bloodshed.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Sure I know about the creation of Northern Ireland, and why it was done. You talk about British people, and their involvement in that. Well, those folks are all long dead. Why should the English people of today be concerned with this? Do we make Irish people hate each other? Did we make them take up arms, and slaughter each other? Did we separate them, with ethnic cleansing? Did we make them walk through the streets provoking each other?

They're all Irish for gawds sake. We're sick of it all Bernie....... just sick of it. Martin McGuinness had a heroes funeral. A man who was involved in murders of British soldiers, and civilians in Ireland and England. "He was a real nice guy. Good family man" was the refrain. Well, who am I to say different? He seemed to impress many people in his later years. Well, as for the English, we are tired of Ireland, and it's problems. They can end with a united Ireland. I'm all for it, and I guess most English people will agree with me.

Nobody is stopping this happening, but the Irish people themselves.
I can understand people being sick of it. I think we all are. The British though were implicitly involved as they supported the Unionist Government for decades. Discrimination against Catholics was tolerated by the British Government for generations along with gerrymandering. The whole Northern Ireland situation was caused by British involvement. It's not like saying the average man in the street is to blame but people do need to understand why Northern Ireland is British.

The ROI has a lot less influence in Northern Ireland than Britain so it's not the "Irish people themselves" who can change anything. That's what people need to understand. The British people are also involved and what decisions English people make does not effect them alone. It effects the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish along with British territories like Gibraltar. What people vote in the ROI does not have any effect in Northern Ireland because Northern Ireland is a part of the UK.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:
I can understand people being sick of it. I think we all are. The British though were implicitly involved as they supported the Unionist Government for decades. Discrimination against Catholics was tolerated by the British Government for generations along with gerrymandering. The whole Northern Ireland situation was caused by British involvement. It's not like saying the average man in the street is to blame but people do need to understand why Northern Ireland is British.

The ROI has a lot less influence in Northern Ireland than Britain so it's not the "Irish people themselves" who can change anything. That's what people need to understand. The British people are also involved and what decisions English people make does not effect them alone. It effects the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish along with British territories like Gibraltar. What people vote in the ROI does not have any effect in Northern Ireland because Northern Ireland is a part of the UK.
I understand what you're saying Bernie. I'm just an average English guy who has watched the Irish situation since the late 60s. I well remember seeing Ian Paisley roaring with anger at public meetings on a black and white telly. This was in 1969 I seem to remember. I knew nothing at the time about the discrimination suffered by Catholics in Northern Ireland. Then came the bloodbath of the 70s. Irish people killing each other, English people blown up in pubs in Guildford, and Birmingham.

I remember the off duty British soldier, who wandered by accident into a gathering of Irish people. There was a helicopter filming above as he was dragged from his car, and slaughtered on the streets like a frightened animal.

Later, the small children trying to go to school through the 'wrong' area. Abuse from so called adults raining down on little kids. Just sickening to watch as an outsider.

We are now in 2017, and things are better. Not perfect, but better. But, it doesn't take a lot to get young Northern Irish people out on the streets burning vehicles. It happens every once in a while. You say the whole situation was caused by British involvement. The things I describe weren't caused by British involvement, but by Irish people.

You mention the Scots. Why should I care about them? Plenty of those folks dislike the English, and narrowly avoided voting for independence. They also voted to remain in the EU. Well, for me, they can go their own way as well as the Irish. I'm pretty fed up of the dislike for the English that comes from many of them.

My concern is England, and the English. We have enough of our own problems to deal with. Number one, at the moment, the EU. We voted out Bernie, with good reason to do so. There is no buyer regret.

You say the Irish people cannot change anything themselves alone. Yes they can. Agree the best way forward is for a united Ireland. I think with the passing years, there is more chance of this aim being achieved. The problem is, many northern Irish know where their bread is buttered. Plus, I would think even the government in Eire don't really need the problems that would land in their lap with a united Ireland. That is no concern of the English. A united Ireland is what we would be happy to see. Not our fault if some in Ireland don't want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom