Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 02:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
If we did want to blow British money on an Irish rail scheme, it would be on the laughable Belfast to Derry line which is a complete disgrace for the two major cities of a modern country. Even the bus is faster, not to mention one cyclist.

Cyclist beats train from Derry to Belfast - that's embarrassing - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
That's a slow train, but most cyclists would be nowhere near the speed of the train. It makes 15 stops

http://www.translink.co.uk/Documents...%20Belfast.pdf

Just over 2 hours from Derry to Belfast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 02:26 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,277 times
Its actually the same speed as the trains in England it's just a crappy track and stops too much. I can't wait to use trains in England next year, fed up of the crap nonsense here.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:28 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,060,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Then let the EU pay for it.
They probably will pay a large part.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Ireland is broke, and we certainly won't be paying for it. There is simply not enough traffic to justify the outlay even if anyone could afford it. There are more than enough low cost airlines and normal ferries. I think it's safe to say it won't happen in our lifetimes, if ever.
The tunnel will serve all Ireland. High-speed trains may project to Belfast, Limerick, etc, giving excellent times to British cities.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The total population of North Wales is around 700,000 or around 1% of the UK population. Therefore, there is little benefit in the UK spending money on a high speed line through North Wales when there are other, more densely populated areas which should get it first. In fact, such a line would mainly benefit Dublin and the RoI so they should pay for it.
I think North Wales is around 850,000. But let us not be pedantic. North Wales is sparsely populated because it is isolated. In the 1960/70s there was a plan for a barrage across the River Dee. The Moreton, Wirral, spur of the M53 was built to run to the road over the barrage. I believe Thatcher scrapped the idea. If a rail tunnel is built under the River Dee the region would be much closer to the Wirral and the Liverpool City Region. The idea is to give greater economic and population merging. A high-speed line will mean people in North Wales will get to Liverpool, Leeds and Manchester and main airports very quick and visa-versa. The population of North Wales will increase and tourism will clearly increase. The economy will increase. Also having a North Wales town as a terminal of Liverpool's Merseyrail will put North Wales in the Liverpool City Region. People can live in North Wales and work in Liverpool. It is all a win, win all around.

Last edited by John-UK; 11-11-2014 at 07:13 AM..

Old 11-11-2014, 08:53 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,913,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I think North Wales is around 850,000. But let us not be pedantic. North Wales is sparsely populated because it is isolated. In the 1960/70s there was a plan for a barrage across the River Dee. The Moreton, Wirral, spur of the M53 was built to run to the road over the barrage. I believe Thatcher scrapped the idea. If a rail tunnel is built under the River Dee the region would be much closer to the Wirral and the Liverpool City Region. The idea is to give greater economic and population merging. A high-speed line will mean people in North Wales will get to Liverpool, Leeds and Manchester and main airports very quick and visa-versa. The population of North Wales will increase and tourism will clearly increase. The economy will increase. Also having a North Wales town as a terminal of Liverpool's Merseyrail will put North Wales in the Liverpool City Region. People can live in North Wales and work in Liverpool. It is all a win, win all around.
That is an argument for extending rapid commuter transit - which I agree with - rather than an inter-city HSR line.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
The tunnel will serve all Ireland. High-speed trains may project to Belfast, Limerick, etc, giving excellent times to British cities.
If it is so desirable then, presumably, the Irish Govt. (or the EU) will be willing to pay for it.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:58 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,277 times
A yeah I think we will stick to the Belfast to Glasgow line thanks very much!!!

Old 11-11-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
A yeah I think we will stick to the Belfast to Glasgow line thanks very much!!!
I doubt the EU would fund it as they want to link capitals.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I doubt the EU would fund it as they want to link capitals.
And I doubt the Scottish Govt. would want to fund their end of it as they are more interested in an HSR connection to England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom