Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should life mean life?
Yes 20 76.92%
No 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 06:44 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktothefuture View Post
A person is dead. Who is being reformed and for what reason? All the reform in the world won't bring his teacher back to life.

And why should a 30,40, 50 year old man be absolved of all crimes committed at age 16 anyway?
Your human nature, or perhaps, common sense, is eluding you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 08:13 PM

194 posts, read 300,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Your human nature, or perhaps, common sense, is eluding you.

My sense tells me that a person sentenced to x amount of years should serve that amount and not some percent of that amount because they've "matured so much"

Old 12-09-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
My sense tells me that a person sentenced to x amount of years should serve that amount and not some percent of that amount because they've "matured so much"
How old are you?

Did you make poor, even occasional horrible decisions as a minor?

Would you, as an adult, hold your younger self accountable for life based on some of those poor decisions you made as a child?

I didn't say "matured so much" I said REFORMED. there is a big difference. I see people in their 40's who, while have matured through puberty, have NOT matured mentally/philosophically/spiritually/worldly.

I have worked with people that have been incarcerated (part of my GROWN UP work, even though you think I am a child), that effed up, they paid the price, and while the families of their victims have forgiven, these folks beat themselves up everyday over decisions they mad as a punk ass kid, who was just doing what the gang did. Some have gone on to become HIGHLY contributing members of society, offering young people/at risk youth an insight that neither you, OR I, could offer. They have been reformed. They went in as kids, and came out as VERY changed people (many years later). They now do their part to stop kids from making the same mistakes THEY did as a minor, they help feed the citys homeless, they are community advocates for change and a better sense of community.

If you can't wrap your mind around that, then yes, YOU are the one that needs to re-evaluate your whole stance on "human" nature.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:24 AM

194 posts, read 300,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
How old are you?

Did you make poor, even occasional horrible decisions as a minor?

Would you, as an adult, hold your younger self accountable for life based on some of those poor decisions you made as a child?

I didn't say "matured so much" I said REFORMED. there is a big difference. I see people in their 40's who, while have matured through puberty, have NOT matured mentally/philosophically/spiritually/worldly.

I have worked with people that have been incarcerated (part of my GROWN UP work, even though you think I am a child), that effed up, they paid the price, and while the families of their victims have forgiven, these folks beat themselves up everyday over decisions they mad as a punk ass kid, who was just doing what the gang did. Some have gone on to become HIGHLY contributing members of society, offering young people/at risk youth an insight that neither you, OR I, could offer. They have been reformed. They went in as kids, and came out as VERY changed people (many years later). They now do their part to stop kids from making the same mistakes THEY did as a minor, they help feed the citys homeless, they are community advocates for change and a better sense of community.

If you can't wrap your mind around that, then yes, YOU are the one that needs to re-evaluate your whole stance on "human" nature.
People don't change as much as you think. Read up on sociopaths and then critically think about the nature of these "reforms". Then again I think you are a bad liar, you seem to rather convientlenly paint yourself as a parole officer, yet your "experiences" are at odds with what most law enforcers experience

Old 12-17-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
People don't change as much as you think. Read up on sociopaths and then critically think about the nature of these "reforms". Then again I think you are a bad liar, you seem to rather convientlenly paint yourself as a parole officer, yet your "experiences" are at odds with what most law enforcers experience
Thin as you please, I am not here to be the thought police. It's just a shame that you can't open your mind to the fact that people aren't the same at 14, as they are at 40.

That says a lot more about you, than it does me.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:23 PM

675 posts, read 723,002 times
I don't know of too many 16 year olds who even think about killing someone much less carrying it out !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom